Nakaya 17Mm Portable Cigar

geoduc

nice pen with a great nib :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geoduc

• WOBentley

• Mr. Sweet

• ehemem

Beautiful! Mind sharing the price?

Also, I wonder if Nakaya offers a larger nib, or is this the nib they normally use in the 17mmbody?

The base pen was $650, so there's a $100 premium over the standard size Portables. The music nib and custom grind increased the total cost to $785.

Nakaya doesn't offer a larger nib, unfortunately. I'd love to see one on the big pens.

Rock on! Thanks for sharing. Side by side the standard pen does look more balanced. Perhaps if this continues Nakaya will offer a jumbo nib.

Interesting customization.

How is the barrel width compared to the long cigar model?

Enjoy the new beauty!

The standard Long Cigar is 15mm in diameter, although Classic Fountain Pens can special order a 17mm Long Cigar if desired.

Thanks for the information! :thumbup:

A 17mm Long Cigar is definitely desired. I've got my eye on a few Danitrios, so after that, it's on to the 17mm Long Cigar!

Out of curiosity, did it take more time for the modified order to come through? I don't know what the current wait time is for customized Nakayas these days. Also, will they enlarge the diameter of other colors?

Cheers!

This was actually one of the faster special orders I've gotten from Nakaya; it took about four months for the pen to arrive. I've ordered four pens with various levels of customization and the wait time ranged from four to eight months.

I'm sure they'll make the pen in any of the colors, all you have to do is ask.I chose this color because I already have pens in the heki-tamenuri and kuro-tamenuri finishes and I wanted to have aka-tamenuri as well.

A brilliant review of a brilliant pen. I lust after these, so much! Maybe one day... By the way, which Nakaya pen would you recommend as the first one? I typically like pens about the size of a Montblanc 146, or so. Thanks!

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing pen! Thanks for all the great pictures. Reviewers can write a lot of words, but some high quality photos really sell the pen.

Thanks for the informative and enjoyable review; as said above the super pics really set off this impressive pen......

Given the order was for a custom build, can you share what your lead time was between order placement and delivery?

Thanks for the informative and enjoyable review; as said above the super pics really set off this impressive pen......

Given the order was for a custom build, can you share what your lead time was between order placement and delivery?

The lead time was a little over four months from order to delivery. It did take an additional two months to get the initial price quote before I could place my order, although that was unusual. I think the folks at Nakaya were not clear on exactly what I wanted so it took a while to sort that out.

Not that I am a doctor or anything, but are these viruses in magnification I see as background of your photos? :yikes:

Your pen is just breathtaking! And that nib looks awesome - the writing sample is just amazing...

I am very happy for you, I recently found out first hand how delightful pens Nakayas can be.

Enjoyed your review very much.

Aris

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

Not that I am a doctor or anything, but are these viruses in magnification I see as background of your photos? :yikes:

Your pen is just breathtaking! And that nib looks awesome - the writing sample is just amazing...

I am very happy for you, I recently found out first hand how delightful pens Nakayas can be.

Enjoyed your review very much.

Aris

Thanks, Aris. The background is flower pollen - I'm still trying to identify some of the types.

I saw your review and your pen is beautiful! I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

• 10 months later...