Toronto 2013 Meet Up Dates

saskia_madding

So one should deviate away from UPS and FEDEX to save the customs? I have looked at above suggested website, there are only three brands that are being carried and 50% of the stuff is out of stock. I am looking forward to purchase my first mid-end level pen which might exceed $150 and dont intend to pay $100 in duties alone. Thank you for the reply.

What are you looking for exactly? Any size in particular? What nib size do you prefer? Do you like larger pens? Go to Laywines and try out as many pens as you can. Well till Joy kicks you out then give me the info and I'll guide you further. :)

You can pick up some good used pens off ebay or even at a pen meet.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• raging.dragon

• smk

• tenurepro

Top Posters In This Topic

So one should deviate away from UPS and FEDEX to save the customs? I have looked at above suggested website, there are only three brands that are being carried and 50% of the stuff is out of stock. I am looking forward to purchase my first mid-end level pen which might exceed $150 and dont intend to pay $100 in duties alone. Thank you for the reply.

I've yet to be charged duties (international agreements like GATT, NAFTA, and the in progress negotiations between Canada and the EU have mostly eliminated duties), just HST (and previously GST) at 13%. If customs assess taxes on your shipment the carrier will charge a fee for brokering payment. Canada Post charges a few dollars for brokerage. UPS and FedEX brokerage fees range from a few dollars for express air shipments up to $50 or $100 for ground shipments.

Hi all, I've also been lurking on this website for a while. Hoping to meet everyone someday and learn more about the hobby.

I think Pengoulet.com is good website with ok shipping cost but does any one order anything more than $100 from them if so did you get dinged by customs. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Hi Onizuka, just to give you an example, I received an order from GouletPens.com last night. Total price was USD$103.50. I paid USD$33.36 for USPS Priority Mail. Declared value was USD$103.50, customs assessed it at CAD$103.36. Was charged CAD$13.44 HST and CAD$9.95, total $23.39.

It was shipped on Tues, Jan 15/13, got stuck in customs in Ville St-Laurent, QC from 9AM Mon, Jan 21/13 to 1PM Thurs. Jan 24/13. 4PM it was in Montreal and then it was out for delivery in Vaughan the next day. Customs was slow, CanadaPost was impressive. :)

As everyone says here, GouletPens.com is definitely customer-focused. Package was nicely wrapped and insulated. There was a handwritten note from Mrs. Rachel Goulet (with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts which I now have to buy :lol:), small pack of jellybeans, bookmark and sticker. I took pics. :thumbup:

EDIT: I assume you've looked at Alexander Pen Co.?

https://www.alexanderpenco.com/

Woah, I could've saved some money here. Thanks for the link!

"It’s more valuable and impressive to have 50 people admiring your handwriting than have five million hitting the delete button. No one has ever said I have lovely keystrokes." - Stephen Bayley, May 2012

Thank You all for replying. I appreciate your guidance and help.

you didn't look hard enough ;)

Hello!! Good to know there is some one goes to York from FPN. I look forward to meet you on Feb Meet.

What are you looking for exactly? Any size in particular? What nib size do you prefer? Do you like larger pens? Go to Laywines and try out as many pens as you can. Well till Joy kicks you out then give me the info and I'll guide you further. :)

You can pick up some good used pens off ebay or even at a pen meet.

Hello bluejay!! I am looking for possibly awesome pen around $150. After doing some research I have found few:

1. Pilot VP - Good pen but the clip hinders long writing sessions.

2. Pelikan M200 - Heard the pen is good but never tried it.

3. Sailor 1911 - Sometimes compared to MB146 which is amazing since it is lot cheaper than MB. I dont know if it lives upto the hype.

4. Lamy 2000 - Good pen but people say that nib can be scratchy inn some cases.

Please feel free to recommend any other pens around this price point.

I've yet to be charged duties (international agreements like GATT, NAFTA, and the in progress negotiations between Canada and the EU have mostly eliminated duties), just HST (and previously GST) at 13%. If customs assess taxes on your shipment the carrier will charge a fee for brokering payment. Canada Post charges a few dollars for brokerage. UPS and FedEX brokerage fees range from a few dollars for express air shipments up to $50 or $100 for ground shipments.

Thank you raging.dragon for the prompt reply. It seems I was more worried about duties than needed.

Hi all, I've also been lurking on this website for a while. Hoping to meet everyone someday and learn more about the hobby.

Hi Onizuka, just to give you an example, I received an order from GouletPens.com last night. Total price was USD$103.50. I paid USD$33.36 for USPS Priority Mail. Declared value was USD$103.50, customs assessed it at CAD$103.36. Was charged CAD$13.44 HST and CAD$9.95, total $23.39.

It was shipped on Tues, Jan 15/13, got stuck in customs in Ville St-Laurent, QC from 9AM Mon, Jan 21/13 to 1PM Thurs. Jan 24/13. 4PM it was in Montreal and then it was out for delivery in Vaughan the next day. Customs was slow, CanadaPost was impressive. :)

As everyone says here, GouletPens.com is definitely customer-focused. Package was nicely wrapped and insulated. There was a handwritten note from Mrs. Rachel Goulet (with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts which I now have to buy :lol:), small pack of jellybeans, bookmark and sticker. I took pics. :thumbup:

Hello dreville!! Your post gave me an idea of what I should expect in extra charges. Thank you.

Sorry to butt in, but I just wanted to say that we're sending you one of our pen club members (Michael) who is moving back to Ontario this month. Our loss is your gain ;) as Michael is a very friendly guy with good taste in fountain pens and a lot of knowledge about industrial designers who designed writing instruments (Simone---I sent you a PM about him a few days ago)

Oh, and Onizuka, have you checked out http://www.stylo.ca (Boutique du Stylo in Montreal)? They have a huge variety of pens and since they are in Canada, you won't have to pay any duties.

Oh, and Onizuka, have you checked out http://www.stylo.ca (Boutique du Stylo in Montreal)? They have a huge variety of pens and since they are in Canada, you won't have to pay any duties.

The problem with Stylo is their pricing! Take a Lamy Safari for example:

Stylo.ca => $35

Jetpens.com => $26

Gouletpens.com => $28

Sure, ordering from Stylo would solve the customs/duties issue, but the mark up pretty much puts you back in the same spot. I've never ordered from Goulet Pens, but I have ordered from JetPens twice in the past, both times the order totalled about $90, I wasn't charged customs or duties either time. Obviously these types of things are YMMV, but IMHO the potential savings makes it worth the risk of getting assessed for customs/duties.

Edited by dannytang

Stylo.ca => $35

Jetpens.com => $26

Gouletpens.com => $28

Sure, ordering from Stylo would solve the customs/duties issue, but the mark up pretty much puts you back in the same spot. I've never ordered from Goulet Pens, but I have ordered from JetPens twice in the past, both times the order totalled about $90, I wasn't charged customs or duties either time. Obviously these types of things are YMMV, but IMHO the potential savings makes it worth the risk of getting assessed for customs/duties.

Believe it or not, the Safari from Stylo.ca is still cheaper than Vancouver retail prices.... :roflmho: No one else had mentioned Stylo.ca so I thought I'd mention it, since paying duties seemed to be a concern of the person asking for advice. Sorry to hijack your T.O pen club thread---just wanted to let you know that someone from our part of the country will be headed your way... ;)

Looking forward to it... Welcome Michael!

[seems like we are growing :)!]

Sorry to butt in, but I just wanted to say that we're sending you one of our pen club members (Michael) who is moving back to Ontario this month. Our loss is your gain ;) as Michael is a very friendly guy with good taste in fountain pens and a lot of knowledge about industrial designers who designed writing instruments (Simone---I sent you a PM about him a few days ago)

Stylo.ca => $35

Jetpens.com => $26

Gouletpens.com => $28

Believe it or not, the Safari from Stylo.ca is still cheaper than Vancouver retail prices.... :roflmho: No one else had mentioned Stylo.ca so I thought I'd mention it, since paying duties seemed to be a concern of the person asking for advice. Sorry to hijack your T.O pen club thread---just wanted to let you know that someone from our part of the country will be headed your way... ;)

New members are always welcome!

I believe Stylo are cheaper than either Toronto retail prices or Canadian MSRP. It's pretty sad, but I'm quite sure we can buy most brands of pens, inks, etc. from US or EU retailers for close to, if not less than, the distributors charge the Canadian retailers.

Stylo.ca => $35

Jetpens.com => $26

Gouletpens.com => $28

Thank you guys for replying. I meant by end cost of a product irrespective to the duties charged. If at the end I can get a pen cheaper dosent matter from Canada or US, I am happy with it :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved to the Barrie area. I'll try to make it down to one of these meetings in the next few months.

Welcome to any of the meet ups.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

re: group buy. That paper Amro gave me I can't tell the difference between it and the cream I have. Can someone verify if the white really is offwhite? or is the Sheet I got really cream in disguise?

I have some cream pads. Amro gave me a couple of pages of the off white.. and I see them lighter than the cream.

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Is it appropriate to ask general questions in this thread that I would prefer to be directed to the GTA folks? Or is there a Toronto area subforum?

"It’s more valuable and impressive to have 50 people admiring your handwriting than have five million hitting the delete button. No one has ever said I have lovely keystrokes." - Stephen Bayley, May 2012

Is it appropriate to ask general questions in this thread that I would prefer to be directed to the GTA folks? Or is there a Toronto area subforum?

Well, what are the questions about?

Haha, ok. Since the LA Pen Show is coming up, just wondering if anyone has ever been and if it was worth it. :)

Haha, ok. Since the LA Pen Show is coming up, just wondering if anyone has ever been and if it was worth it. :)

I haven't been to any of the US pen shows. I know others in the group have been to Chicago and DC, though I haven't heard of anyone going to LA.

They are actually several threads dedicated to the LA Pen Show.. I am sure anyone there will be more helpful

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,