The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi Vac 700 With A Broad Nib!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:33

Page 1
Posted Image
Page 2
Posted Image
Picture 1
Posted Image
Picture 2
Posted Image
Picture 3
Posted Image
Picture 4
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 14:23

Nice review. I think I will upgrade after my 540 loaded with Baystate Blue packs it in.....only been 48 hrs and it is holding up well.....I give it 400 days.
Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

#3 superfreeka

superfreeka

Sumgai

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:26

Great review. Thanks for sharing.
Deodorant can't fix ugly.

#4 Patrick C

Patrick C

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:09

A wonderful review, kudos! And a great pen that is now never out of rotation. My only negative point about the VAC 700 is the clip or rather the finish on the clip (or lap of it) Don't know why they went with a textured (rough) clip! It think it is out of place on the pen when all other metal finishes are bright gloss!

#5 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:57

I believe the Vac 700 was inspired from the Pilot 823 fountain pen. The interior design of the barrel mirrors the Pilot Custom 823.

They're both modern vacuum fillers, so it's not surprising that the mechanisms are similar. I doubt you'd find much difference if you compared the Vac 700 to a Visconti or a Stipula. (Disclaimer: I've never closely inspected a Visconti or a Stipula vacuum filler, so I could be wrong about that.) But anyhow, it seems a bit like saying every lever-filling pen "mirrors the Esterbrook J".

As far as the step down from the barrel to the to the section... That's been a point of contention in pen design for ages, I guess. It's the choice of a smooth profile when uncapped versus a smooth profile when capped. I've come to appreciate both styles, and TWSBI have offered both styles, in the form of the 530/540 and the 700.

#6 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:04

Don't know why they went with a textured (rough) clip! It think it is out of place on the pen when all other metal finishes are bright gloss!

This is only hearsay, but I read somewhere that the clip is made from beryllium bronze through a powder metallurgy process. It's not practical to put a polished, shiny finish on that.

#7 Patrick C

Patrick C

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:26

Don't know why they went with a textured (rough) clip! It think it is out of place on the pen when all other metal finishes are bright gloss!

This is only hearsay, but I read somewhere that the clip is made from beryllium bronze through a powder metallurgy process. It's not practical to put a polished, shiny finish on that.

Thanks for the info! great pen none the less.

#8 ladycaruso

ladycaruso

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:36

Wonderful review, and lovely handwriting, too!  I was on the fence about this pen - love the blue finish but I'm in love with italic nibs.  After seeing this in action here, I'm sold!  I can't wait to bet my hands on this love pen and try out the vac filling system.

Thanks for sharing!

#9 PrintersDevil

PrintersDevil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:38

I ordered a Vac 700 with a broad nib from Goulet Pens and have been using for about 4 days now and I love it.

It has a nice large size and the nib writes very smoothly with the Diamine ink I have in it.

It is a great bargain at $80 and to get a FP this large with a nib this nice makes this TWSBI hard to beat.

The only concern up to now is the nib dried out on my a couple of times today.

Brian Goulet mentions this as well as an advanced solution in one of his videos.

The TWSBI owners manual explains this as well.

Overall, two thumbs up on this pen.

#10 WDP4BAAZ

WDP4BAAZ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2013 - 16:33

Nice review & cool pictures ..

How is working of filling mechanism ?

Posting of cap possible or not ??

Regards ,

#11 PrintersDevil

PrintersDevil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:33

Nice review & cool pictures ..

How is working of filling mechanism ?

Posting of cap possible or not ??

Regards ,

Hi,

The filling mechanism works well.

Goulet pens has a nice video which shows how it works.

You can fill up about two thirds of the available volume with ink.

You can post the cap.

I do not always do so because it makes the pen rather long, but that is just my particular taste.

Hope this helps.

Joe

#12 Jared

Jared

Broad Italics & Stubs

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 13:45

I tried a Vac 700 at Pendleton Brown's table at the DC Pen Show last weekend, and it changed my mind about this pen.  I had thought that it was too large and unwieldy, but with Pendleton's custom flex stub nib...wow!  I think it'll be my next new pen purchase.

#13 WDP4BAAZ

WDP4BAAZ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2013 - 18:46

Thanks ..

Dimensions looks like larger than TWSBI 580 .. Is VAC700 can be carried in shirt pocket ??

Regards,

BAAZ 

#14 Gump

Gump

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2013 - 19:52

I have two Vac 700's, the newest being outfitted with a Broad nib and I love it. I don't particularly like it posted, as it is already quite heavy.

#15 PrintersDevil

PrintersDevil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:15

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of alloy they used, but they probably used the same as the rest of the cap.

The finish appears to be grit blasted.

Joe

#16 haroldvincent

haroldvincent

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:59

Excellent review. Thank you. I'll have to get a Twsbi Vac 700 soon.

#17 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2013 - 15:55

After both of my Vac 700s suffered fractured plastic parts, I've given up on them -- despite liking almost everything else about these pens.  TWSBI have always sent replacement parts when I asked, but it has happened too many times.

Sponsored Content

|