marcomillions

Forsooth, a great arithmetician

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:19

Hi,

From my limited experience, it seems the use of 'foreign inks' degrades the performance of the pens' spell checker.

Bye,
S1

LOL, Sandy.

My Pilot VP spell checker never worked properly, but Pilot said it could not be repaired under warranty, but was "user error." Hmph.

Marc
When you say "black" to a printer in "big business" the word is almost meaningless, so innumerable are its meanings. To the craftsman, on the other hand, black is simply the black he makes --- the word is crammed with meaning: he knows the stuff as well as he knows his own hand. --- Eric Gill

#22 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:12

Some folks that never owned a fountain pen get jobs in a fountain boutique.

At the wages paid, one can not expect much ability or desire to learn.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 29 December 2012 - 22:13.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#23 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

Miami, Florida

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:46

Foreign inks make me write in foreign languages and make me want to visit foreign lands.
Much Love--Virginia

#24 GallBladder

GallBladder

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:02

As long as your don't use dip pen inks or India ink in your fountain pen, all other fountain pen inks should work just fine. I have a Mont Blanc 149, 146, 145, 144 and Dumas and none of them have ever had Mont Blanc ink in them and they all continue to operate perfectly.

Where is my LIKE button when I need it?

Writing with pen and ink, is an endeavour both stimulating and cathartic.

#25 kernando

kernando

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:43

Where is this store, and who is this employee? What about like-brand paper, huh?

#26 tinta

tinta

round-nose C.I.

• Member - Gold

• 1,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:47

If I get a new Sailor pen, I will fill with one of their Jentle inks first, usually the Blue.
My first modern pen was a Sailor 1911-M & my first new ink was a Jentle Blue.
Since then, I've collected a ship-full of Sailors.

After a pen's first fill, I'll use any brand of well-behaved ink, formulated for fountain pens.
It is helpful to look through the Ink Reviews & Comparisons, use the FPN Google search, to learn as much as you can about a brand or about a colour you like.

Except for the iron-galls, I prefer wetter inks,...but after that, there is no hard & fast rule for the inks I choose.
Sailor 1911 Standards: *Black/rhodium, 0.7 mm CI, *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub & 0.95 mm. stub/italic, *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown or Red Marbled Mozaiques, acrylic/rhodium, 0.9 mm. CI & 0.8 mm.stub, *Edison (Purple-Web Celluloid) Pearl, ss. JoWo 1.1 mm. Pendleton point stub, *Franklin-Christoph, Iterum, mod."03" (smoke/maroon), 18K JoWo 1.1 mm. custom stub

#27 bluejay

bluejay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:19

I don't understand why Mont blanc representatives in Toronto tell me that their black ink has iron gall in it. When its their blue-black that does. Then again Pelikan reps tell me the same thing that pelikan pens should only use their own ink. I'm sure this is suggested with every pen maker out there. I know people who use only BSB in their mb 149. So just goes to show you that you could use any ink you want to. That's the fun part of owning a pen.

#28 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 19:37

Exactly. The best experiences I've had were from Pelikan. They seemed to know the most. After that came Lamy. The worst was -- and is, and remains -- MB. They often, if not almost always have no clue about their inks. But that is, as seen by themselves, no real harm. They'd much easier and more frequently be able to sell you a watch or a bag or a scarf or....

barf

PS: I'm very sorry, I forgot, the very very worst company I've not yet ever had the possibility to communicate with is Ambraxas (Switzerland, I assume). They just don't appear to have a pinch of ahh y'know sh*t as regards any interest in any contact at all.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#29 Sheaffer1000

Sheaffer1000

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:21

never use indian ink on a fountain pen because there's always a possibility it will clogg up so be careful

#30 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42

The MontBlanc rep is talking baloney. Use whatever you like.
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#31 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:17

You mean MB once told you that you can use baloney in their pens?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#32 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,483 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:22

1356731092[/url]' post='2547311']
You can never go wrong with Diamine!

Posted Image

#33 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:08

I must admit that I only use Mb ink in my Mb 146's and 149 piston fillers, because they are more difficult to clean than CC fillers. However, I'm more adventurous with other brand inks in my 147 cartridge filler.

I wouldn't risk a heavily saturated ink that might permanently colour the window in one of my piston fillers.