A Neat Idea For Carrying Cartridges

wastelanded

Wow

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• Sailor Kenshin

• AAN

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the short 38mm cartridges, a standard 35mm film container would be the perfect fit. They are 46mm tall with a 33mm diameter.

If you were to toss in some cotton, you could easily fit some four cartridges in there. Plus, they seal really well and are fairly crush proof.

I'd say the only downside is... unless you're happy to shoot 35mm film like I do, you might have a slightly hard time finding a canister. Most stores that develop film should have a ton of them though, the stores tend to have a lot of them from people who turn in their film in the canister.

Edited by Bjorn Keizers

But everyone has Tic Tac boxes...

Without having tried those or even looked at/measured them, are they long enough for carts? Maybe the short international, I would doubt the long ones though?

I'm going to try a tic tax box today. No (easily available) Altoid tins available in England, but TTs are ubiquitous.

I reckon they'd do for international sized carts.

Any suggestions for Pilot carts - though I'm still hoping for an elegant 1930s cigarette case to come my way?

The Altoids tin is a good storage container. Especially for my headphone amp:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2066/1921895018_ceaec6196a_z.jpg?zz=1

CMOY Amp 3 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

I don't have a need to transport cartridges but a sample vial holder is a good idea.

love the CMOY, Ivan! Are you on HeadFi? I need to get back there. I must also rescue my Ray Samuels Amps in storage.

I think the best way of transporting them would be in a transparent tube you can put in a pen roll.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Without having tried those or even looked at/measured them, are they long enough for carts? Maybe the short international, I would doubt the long ones though?

Alas. Not even the big Tic Tac boxes ...the ones you get not in the supermarket but in big-box stores, will fit a long Waterman cart. The very tip of the cart sticks out... About a quarter-inch. I use them for everything else, though.

The smaller ones might work with standard internationals but I don't have one on hand to check.

Godiva used to sell these long, top-loaded tins with chocolate pearls. Oh, sure, you have to work your way through the chocolate, but any sacrifice is worth the cart-carrying result.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Alas. Not even the big Tic Tac boxes ...the ones you get not in the supermarket but in big-box stores, will fit a long Waterman cart. The very tip of the cart sticks out... About a quarter-inch. I use them for everything else, though.

The smaller ones might work with standard internationals but I don't have one on hand to check.

Godiva used to sell these long, top-loaded tins with chocolate pearls. Oh, sure, you have to work your way through the chocolate, but any sacrifice is worth the cart-carrying result.

LOL! Love your logic!

Photo of Tic Tac container (small) with small international cartridges in residence. The Pilot cartridge looks as though it would just fit, but doesn't and the Parker one is obviously too long.

The pens are there just to induce envy. The Parkers are not in my usual rotation. The Vacumatic is lovely but sadly erratic.

post-41913-0-22043800-1358264345.jpg

The Altoids tin is a good storage container. Especially for my headphone amp:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2066/1921895018_ceaec6196a_z.jpg?zz=1

CMOY Amp 3 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

I don't have a need to transport cartridges but a sample vial holder is a good idea.

love the CMOY, Ivan! Are you on HeadFi? I need to get back there. I must also rescue my Ray Samuels Amps in storage.

I think the best way of transporting them would be in a transparent tube you can put in a pen roll.

Yes I am on Head-Fi but I have not been on in a long time. :) Same username.

Hobby Lobby carries a line of small tin "needle boxes" from a company called Yarnology for $3.99. They're too short for the long international cartridges, but they'll hold Sheaffer carts or the short international ones. They might hold Platinum carts too, but I'm not sure.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

I like these ones :

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Eclipsemintbox_zpsc37c2ebf.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/eclipsemintpeppermint_zps37779ce4.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Definitely long enough for the long international cartridges, but might be a tad narrow for the sample vials.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Wide mouth Nalgene bottles that many use to carry portions of bottled ink work well as cartridge containers too. The 1 oz bottles (about the size of a film canister) hold the short international carts and a few Pilot cartridges. The 2 oz bottles hold the Pilot as well as Waterman/long international carts. Added benefit is that if one of the cartridges should leak, the ink won't leak out of bottle.

Look on Amazon for Nalgene Travel Bottles to get the idea.

Edited by petravana

Realized I had this little wooden box I got at a event/movie I went to a few years ago. (One of the Johnny Depp Pirates of the Carribean movies) They were given out with some of those chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil. Just checked the inside dimensions (99 mm x 57 mm x 36 mm) (LxWxD) below the lid line. Brass hardware - clasp and hinges.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Here is what I plan to use for my return trip from Afghanistan

0955 Sport Wallet

Interior Dimensions:

4.79" x 2.25" x 0.55" (12.2 x 5.7 x 1.4 cm)

•Water and dust resistant seal (IP 54)

•Easy open latch

•Dual Mesh Pocket Organization

•Crushproof, rigid protection

•Holds Keys, ID, Cards & Cash

•Lanyard Included

•Guaranteed for life

http://www.pelicanprogear.com/MerchantUploads/edgePelicanProductsInc/0955-010-110_image_alt1_0955_open.jpg

**************************************************************************************

Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

**************************************************************************************

Here is what I plan to use for my return trip from Afghanistan

Have a safe trip home!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY