A Neat Idea For Carrying Cartridges

wastelanded

Looks to me like one of the Altoid gum tins. I loved that gum, and still have a few of these boxes around. They work great for earbud headphones. But I don't see them anymore, which is a shame.

Yes! That was it! I have long since lost the example in that picture. Shame about them not being available any more. It was a really great size for a case to use after the candy was gone.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• Sailor Kenshin

• AAN

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This could be so much better than by bad habit of carrying a glass bottle of ink in the bottom of my handbag!

Writing and typing with the help of cats

This could be so much better than by bad habit of carrying a glass bottle of ink in the bottom of my handbag!

Now that's tempting the fates. I've had a bottle break in my bag. It wasn't pretty. And I cut myself cleaning it all up!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I may have to recycle some Altoid tins now! Wonderful ideas!

Well, if you do, and you feel up to it, you can do some etching as this site shows you. The results are pretty dang cool...

http://steampunkworkshop.com/images/xAlt22.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AUrtXD1pGN.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Those do look nifty- I'm gonna check that site out myself!

Welllll, that site is killer. I've been into Jake's work long before I got back into fountain pens. Yeah, another steampunk here. Have fun, the guy's a real wizard.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I feel so terribly inelegant - I carry my spare cartridges in a zip-lock bag :embarrassed_smile:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

I have an ALTOIDS tin on my desk right now. It's a height of 6/8ths of an inch, with the lid closed.

2-2/8 inches wide.

3-5/8 inches across.

Dunno how much ink you could store in there, but those are the measurements if anyone's interested.

Edited by Shangas

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

I use empty Altoids tins for all kinds of stuff. Earbuds, pushpins, if it fits it works. I even have an empty unused once at work right now, just waiting for the right item. This might be it.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Remember those 5" x 5 1/2" flat tins AOL used to send out with their latest DVD? Holds a lot of cartridges!

Edited by stonezebra

You do realize that many of the pens that take the small international cartridge have room it keep another cartridge in the "top" part of the pen. :eureka: Obviously it would not work with pens that have larger and/or proprietary style cartridges.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

And for those of us who like to use bottled inks and lever/vac/piston fillers, you want to carry some ink vials - another Altoid use!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/FP/ink_case_2.jpg

That's a great idea, I like the use of the packing foam to hold them in place.

In answer to the question about the magnets in my cigarette case yes they hold the cartridges in place and keep them from moving about. +1 to FPFan

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

You can use an Altoids tin. Even cheaper than a cigarette case. Though there's no way to hold the carts in place, I've never known a cart to be damaged from a little jostling.

4973642717_98746d9b9e.jpg

That's a great idea to. The problem with the cigarette case is if they jostle about sometimes it pops the case open. Although rarely.

The worst thing that happens is when you open the case the international ones all fall out. The magnets keep them in place. Still it works.

People at work already know I'm a Fountain Pen user and when they see me pull out the case and exchange a cartridge they remark, "Wow, you really are serious about your pen."

Anyone remember the Altoids Sours? The neat little round tins? Aside from the candy being tasty I really liked these and wished they never discontinued them, but sadly they did. The round tins are great for cartridges and I put my extra international standard cartridges in them.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8080/8362273927_a986edbfda_z.jpg

Edited by arcaneradio

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

I am a bit of a junk shop junkie and there are always (at least here in Britain) lots of very good-looking cigarette cases in them. I'm not a smoker, but find the cases strangely alluring so keeping cartridges in them would give me a great excuse to indulge...

I also keep mine at present in the box they came in, chucked in a pencil case in my briefcase, but the box deforms and the cartridges rattle around in there very inelegantly.

These are all great ideas. Love the idea of using the Altoids tin with foam for small sample size bottles of ink. I also have purchased J. Herban and Visconti ink in cartridges which both come with good travel containers. Visconti in plastic and J.Herban in metal.

I've looked at the smaller sizes of Pelican boxes; at the moment, though, I've got at least 4 empty Altoids tins stacked up on a shelf....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Altoids tin is a good storage container. Especially for my headphone amp:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2066/1921895018_ceaec6196a_z.jpg?zz=1

CMOY Amp 3 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

I don't have a need to transport cartridges but a sample vial holder is a good idea.

Edited by KrazyIvan