A Neat Idea For Carrying Cartridges

wastelanded

I saw this and thought, what a cool idea. The price is ridiculous, though, if it was half I might think about it. Classier than the old prescription bottle I use!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ETUI-TINTENPATRONEN-BRAUNES-KUNSTLEDER-passend-Montblanc-Pelikan-usw-/170860542121?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_HomeOffice_Schreibger%C3%A4te&hash=item27c814f8a9

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• Sailor Kenshin

• AAN

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a classy case.

Now you've got me thinking, It may be that it was originally intended for something else, and you could find it cheaper. For example, Something like this, although ballistic nylon doesn't have quite the same the same cachet as leather. But... you can carry it on your belt. I bet you'd be the only person in Ontario who has ink cartridges at the ready for a quick change! No one would catch you with an empty barrel, so to speak. :-)

Obviously, I'm half-joking, but I read the first few reviews and they said it is best suited for the smaller calibers, so it might just work!

How about an old film canister? Without having one in front of me, they seem to be the right size. Or there's always this...

http://www.ebay.com/...=item33783a1546

LOL! I was looking for that same kind of thing- the cartridge holder. I couldn't find one b/c I didn't know exactly what to search for.

Edited by Harlequin

An old leather coin purse would work, too.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I found a cigarette case at a local tobacconist works great for cartridges.

The case was five bucks and has elastic bands to hold the cartridges in place.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8315888255_18beaee8b1_z.jpg

The red and green bands are flat magnets to hold the cartridges in place.

This case holds Sheaffer, International standard, LAMY, and Platignum.

Edited by arcaneradio

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

All excellent ideas! I never thought of the cigarette case, mine has a metal hinge instead of elastics. I do have a Herbin cannister, but I don't want to ruin it banging around in my bag. The ammo thing is a another great idea and I am sure it would work, but it's a little too "tactical" for me.

I am sorrrrrely tempted to take my Xmas bonus and grab that zippered pouch. My mind is racing on something else that would work, maybe a small manicure tool case? Looks about the same size...

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I found a cigarette case at a local tobacconist works great for cartridges.

The case was five bucks and has elastic bands to hold the cartridges in place.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8315888255_18beaee8b1_z.jpg

The red and green bands are flat magnets to hold the cartridges in place.

This case holds Sheaffer, International standard, LAMY, and Platignum.

I get the bands, but you also mentioned that the red & green magnets are for the carts as well? How does that help? Are some cartridges mildly magnetic (or ink, iron gall maybe)?

The magnets are acting as bumpers to keep the cartridges from sliding around in the case. Those elastic bands usually arent tight enough to hold a cartridge in place. IMO!

Fair winds and following seas.

You can use an Altoids tin. Even cheaper than a cigarette case. Though there's no way to hold the carts in place, I've never known a cart to be damaged from a little jostling.

4973642717_98746d9b9e.jpg

Edited by opus7600

You can use an Altoids tin. Even cheaper than a cigarette case. Though there's no way to hold the carts in place, I've never known a cart to be damaged from a little jostling.

4973642717_98746d9b9e.jpg

That's a great idea! How many carts can you fit and of what sizes are they? It looks like you have a converter in there too?

Oh, gosh, that's an old pic. Looks like I had four Waterman carts, one Platinum cart, and...hmm...that's *probably* a standard Waterman Converter. That's just about filled to capacity. Note that this is not the largest Altoid tin size out there. I think this is what was called called a "Smalls" or maybe a "Mini". You'd have to go to a store near you to see what they're selling these days.

You could pop a piece of thin foam cut to fit or maybe a couple of pieces of blotting paper... What great ideas!

And for those of us who like to use bottled inks and lever/vac/piston fillers, you want to carry some ink vials - another Altoid use!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/FP/ink_case_2.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Oh, gosh, that's an old pic. Looks like I had four Waterman carts, one Platinum cart, and...hmm...that's *probably* a standard Waterman Converter. That's just about filled to capacity. Note that this is not the largest Altoid tin size out there. I think this is what was called called a "Smalls" or maybe a "Mini". You'd have to go to a store near you to see what they're selling these days.

Looks to me like one of the Altoid gum tins. I loved that gum, and still have a few of these boxes around. They work great for earbud headphones. But I don't see them anymore, which is a shame.

And for those of us who like to use bottled inks and lever/vac/piston fillers, you want to carry some ink vials - another Altoid use!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/FP/ink_case_2.jpg

Is an altoids tin big enough for those bottles? I haven't had one in a while, but it seems that the cap would prevent the tin from closing securely?

Is an altoids tin big enough for those bottles? I haven't had one in a while, but it seems that the cap would prevent the tin from closing securely?

Good question - this is another brand, called Myntz, though without (at the moment) having an actual Altoid tin to put my hands on, I believe they are pretty much the same. Anyway, in this one there isn't a lot of spare room, but you certainly can close the lid securely. I've used this for over a year (when I needed to). A simple piece of closed-cell foam, cut to fit the tin, with two cutouts for the vial. You could do a fair amount of artistic work on the case, if one were so inclined...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

For traveling I use a small pelican case, nearly indestructible and great if your traveling in unpressurized aircraft.

Pelican Case Link

**************************************************************************************

Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

**************************************************************************************

Lots of fantastic ideas here. I have a small Kaweco gift tin, that housed a Sport Classic. The foam with cutouts would work quite nicely, I think! Or even one vial and a few carts would fit.

I remember the trick for cutting foam: soak it with water and freeze it, then cut while it's still frozen.