Pelikan M600

chemgeek

I did wind-up ordering the M605. It is due to arrive on Monday. I also ordered a bottle of the Pelikan black ink. This is my first foray into the Pelikan inks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ebluegrass

• sehnsucht

• sonia_simone

• Philly Rider

@sonia: thanks for the informative comparison. I ordered the M600 with an XF nib from Fahrney. I look forward to trying it out.

Edited by sehnsucht

• 4 years later...

Clip no, nib yes.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Well done on the review and a beautiful pen too, congrats!

Personally, I really like the black-blue striped pens, my M800 Old Style has the same design and it's gorgeous.

The striped or "Stresemann" barrels take awhile and some work to manufacture, or as Pelikan says on their Site "Stresemann stripes are the result of numerous manufacturing steps. Firstly a small plate of raw material is punched out of a sheet and then welded into a tube.Artificial resin is sprayed into the inside of the tube, sealing it to prevent the ink from leaking. A high-precision lathe with grinding diamond then gives the Stresemann barrel its classic profile and leaves it smooth but grippable to the touch."

How's that for a description of their workmanship and attention to detail?

That, to me, is one reason amongst many that they're worth every penny.

Here's my M800 Black-Blue taken down to its' components, pre-renewal...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/InParts02.jpg

My Old Style M800 is as good as new now, more likely it's even better than new now.

Having cleaned, polished, waxed, even lubricated the filler assembly and piston head-gaskets using pure silicone grease with TPFE {Teflon} it looks new plus it's smoother than ever to fill with ink ...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/FullPen01.jpg

Here's another reason I like the blue stripes over the solid Pelikan colors with only a small ink view area...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/BarrelTransparency02.jpg http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/BarrelTransparency.jpg

Those alternating stripes are nice for seeing your ink level, I've heard the red striped version is even easier to see through but the Black-Blue is still my favorite color combination.

I packed my Old Style PelikanM800 after putting it up for sale and shipping some time ago and it's still packed & ready to ship to this day.

After reading your review, it has given me pause to reflect on my own Black-Blue pen, I may have to unpack it and put it to use again, never really wanted to sell it but money's tight these days.

Oh well, I may still have to re-post mine for sale in the Marketplace, not because I want to but only because things for the wife and I have been going from bad to worse lately.

Given time, I'm of the mindset that you're more than likely going to fall madly in love with your new M600, blue stripes and all, as they have a strange way of grabbing your soul, filling it with the light of Pelikan happiness and not wanting to let it go.

Enjoy, and thanks again for your review and taking the time to post the pics!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Very nice review. I love Italian pens but there is something about the Pelikan color series... I foresee an M600 in green becoming part of my collection soon enough!

No one has mentioned what I think is the most amazing thing about Pelikan pens...You can put one in a drawer for 6 months, and take off the cap and it will write as if you had just filled it. Best performing pen I have ever owned.

• 11 months later...

No one has mentioned what I think is the most amazing thing about Pelikan pens...You can put one in a drawer for 6 months, and take off the cap and it will write as if you had just filled it. Best performing pen I have ever owned.

OMG! Really?? And that applies to all Pelikans? Wow :drool: I must get an M600 next, after M215.

:hmm1: M400 or M600? M400 or M600? M400 or M600? M400 or M600? ...

Great review! I have an M400, an M600, and an M605. One fine, two medium. Love them all, use them regularly. Excellent pens.

I'd agree - depending on the ink, of course, but these Pels are incredibly reliable writers.

Ken

I'm fairly sure the jump in price is because of the gold nib vs. the stainless steel. Not sure what the price of gold is these days, but it has soared in recent years. In my limited experience, the gold nib seems to lay a little thicker line than do the steel. Just my 5 cents.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Would love to try it, but I have tiny fingers and most of these I think would feel bulky. Any recommendations for similar performance with something easier to handle for small hands?

I have had the same pen- Pelikan 600 with a fine 14 kt nib for quite a while and agree that it is a wonderful, reliable pen. I did have a 605 with an 18kt fine nib for a while and sold it- the 18 kt nib seemed stiffer and less responsive- it was just not as enjoyable a pen even though it was the same size and nib width.

John

Would love to try it, but I have tiny fingers and most of these I think would feel bulky. Any recommendations for similar performance with something easier to handle for small hands?

JoanB: You could try a vintage 400 or a new M400, or a 200. All of these are generally the same size and a little smaller than the M600. As a guy, I have relatively small hands, so the M600 is fine, but the 400 is maybe a little bit more comfortable. It's really all about preference and comfort.

Regards, Bill

Is there any more consistent pen than a Pelikan?

I love my M400, it's only rival in my rotation is a vintage 140.

These pens last and are ultra reliable on all papers, with all inks.

:clap1:

Nice review, well formatted and articulated. I have an M400, purchased in 2009, with the extra fine nib. When I'm not using my M400 I turn to the M600 with a medium nib that I purchased as NOS from an Ebay seller as part of a set, ballpoint, pencil and fountain pen. The set is from the late 80's I believe. This older M600 is the same size as my more modern M400, but that's OK with me. I had retired all my other pens, (not that many really), after getting my M400, and since I got the M600, these two Pelikan pens are all I use now. Great pens!

Lou

• 3 months later...

Do people regularly take apart their M600 like what Inka did? Is it hard to take apart and reassemble? How long does a new piston stay smooth before you have to silicone grease it?

Edited by dlyz

• 1 year later...

Excellent review. My sister's getting me one in celebration of my university graduation and soon-to-commence work life.

Great companion this pen will be with the Lamy 2000 I already own.

Germans really know their way around fountain pens......