Franklin-Christoph Pen Cases Review

mAnuscript69

I received the 3-pen case in black leather recently and love the way it looks. However, I've been hesitant to put some of my more expensive pens in it because of the nylon padding. It feels a little rough to the touch, and as mentioned by the OP, I worry about it scratching certain finishes. I'd be interested to know if anyone's had that problem. It does seem like a very well made and sturdy case.

I think that theoretically anyway, it'd be impossible for the nylon to scratch any fountain pen.

Keep in mind that to scratch a material requires a material harder than the material being scratched.

That nylon fiber isn't nearly as hard as any pen material. Therefore, it Can't scratch the pen.

Now, I'd agree there is another remote unlikelyhood that Could scratch the pen in that case and that would be if say the nylon

picked up (for the sake of discussion) some sand granules on it. It could be possible that the silica grains could be harder than a plastic or celluloid pen material and the embedded sand could scratch the pen but then technically it wouldn't be The Nylon Material doing the scratching.

I also agree that the 2 loops are more preferred to me than 1, in fact, Just One is a deal Breaker.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thanks, Bruce. That actually makes a lot of sense, so of course I didn't think of it. I do love the look of the case. Will have to try and use it more.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mAnuscript69

• Sham69

• sargetalon

• cybaea

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the frank review. I've been debating whether I should get the Franklin-Christoph or the Pelikan 3 pen case. The FC case seemed like too good of a value to pass up since FC cases in general are known for their quality, but I think I would be better off getting the Pelikan since I'm pretty much incapable of treating my items gently.

I have the 3 pen case and it's very well made but if you have large pens they might not fit very well. I have problems getting a Visconti Van Gogh Maxi in there, it's a very tight fit. It works if the other two pens are smaller, but I don't see three large pens going in there at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to update the board about my experiences with Franklin-Christoph since my purchase. When I purchased the zippered 20 pen case at the Philadelphia pen show earlier this year, I did so with a little reservation about the single bands but decided to make the best of it. I was very disappointed to see that shortly after my purchase, they updated the model with double bands which is much more preferable to me. I emailed their customer support about the issue not really expecting any accommodation. I was greatly surprised when they quickly responded that they'd be happy to make an exchange. I did have to pay for shipping back to North Carolina but I think that is indeed reasonable. I just wanted to commend that kind of customer service which seems so rarely found these days. I will definitely be a repeat customer because of it. The only downside is that they are out of stock of the brown-black at the moment and I'm waiting for the new shipment to come in sometime early next week.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have four of their pen cases and numerous pens. I cannot say enough good things about Franklin-Christoph - from their customer service to the quality of their products. They have made a life-long customer out of me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a new customer for them as well. Excellent customer service. I purchased the 6 pen case in croc. Couldn't be happier.

• 5 months later...

I have the 40 pen case with only one band per pen. I too thought two would be better, but with the padded dividers, I have never had the pens shift and come in contact with each other, even when ridding crazy packed Tokyo trains with the case in a soft bag slung over a shoulder.

I have a lovely penvelope from FC and it was a second but the leather was only slightly broken in and I have since added some character nick's since using it to look after pens being in my Timbuk2 courier bag as part of my every day carry (EDC). I do like the 20 pen case covers being reviewed and the 3 pen cases which look to be quite useful.

Thanks for the review. I would suggest folks check out the Penvelope (sp??) on the FC websites.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have many FC cases now, a 40 zippered of the new style, a 3pen case, a 2 penvelope and a single case.

those thinking about buying the single pen case do not; it is literally a leather box there is no nylon loop in their to hold the pens like the 3 and 2 pen cases have the pen just bangs around in there. Mine has become a case for the travelling inkwell.

The 20 and 40 pen cases are now being manufactured with suede rather then ribbed cotton which will be a lot more gentle on the pens according to the talks i have had with FC these will be available in March.

Another + for the FC 2 penvelope. I've used mine daily since June - its well made and is holding up well.Tons of room too - easily holds 2 Lamy 2000 pens with plenty of room in front for a mechanical pencil and supplies.

Thanks for the information Sham69 .A 20 pen case with suede lining and double bands would be great.

penvelope 6 is nice..

photos of my 40 pen case for those interested

http://s28.postimg.org/5oqifmh2l/IMG_1718.jpg

My FC 40 pens case black w/ brown binding arrived just this week (thanks mAnuscript for the review!). I guess it is the best option for having together all my collection. As for the daily handling I use a Pelikan 3 pens pouch (very good protector and not too large) and a Sailor 3 pens case. The new FC zippered case is indeed very safe with 2 loops for each fountain pen. Just one regret: it "hids" now more from the beauty of the FPs' bodies - so the maki-e-s are partially under the loops. But the quality and the design of FC cases are beyond all critics.

Edited by Alex2014

I have a F-C model 65 (which I love) and I suspect (from mAnuscript69's photos) that this pen is probably too long for the 3-pen envelope? Ideas, anyone?

I agree about their customer support: bought two pens from them at last New England Pen Show: wonderful! Lovely people with whom to deal.

By the way: my best <small> pen case is my 3-pen Lamy one, but it is slightly short for big pens; a 2-pen Montblanc case came undone at the stitching so that I would not buy another of theirs. These F-Cs look like the best ones around?

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

I have a F-C model 65 (which I love) and I suspect (from mAnuscript69's photos) that this pen is probably too long for the 3-pen envelope? Ideas, anyone?

I agree about their customer support: bought two pens from them at last New England Pen Show: wonderful! Lovely people with whom to deal.

By the way: my best <small> pen case is my 3-pen Lamy one, but it is slightly short for big pens; a 2-pen Montblanc case came undone at the stitching so that I would not buy another of theirs. These F-Cs look like the best ones around?

FC's are definitely not the best around, but as far as price to quality goes they are. Visconti dreamtouch and pelikan are superior. Montblanc is pretty good but so expensive and they also can have loose quality control; however if your montblanc case breaks within two years they will replace it.

I received a penvelope-6 some weeks ago and I find it a very good quality and design for the price. It is a very stylish way of carrying 6 pens around.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the FC 3 pen case and love it. It looks stylish and is high quality. It is durable, as well. I really like the looks of the new 20 pen case, and now that may be on my radar.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I've been using a Penvelope Six and really love it, although one slot is being used by a mechanical pencil. :) I haven't figured out what to put in the sixth slot yet, though.