85 replies to this topic

#81 chud

chud

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:02

But then what I really want is to tear out and burn the boring parts. Heh.

Then again... sometimes the minutiae sheds a lot of light.

Exactly. How cool is a daily journal, full of all the boring minutiae of daily life, from some average person no one has every heard of, from the year 1675, say? Or even 1875? We'd be really glad they didn't decide to destroy the stuff that was only boring at the time. :)

#82 MikeZ

MikeZ

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:33

I won't weigh in on the security of digital over paper since there have been quite a few good ideas. I can, however, say that there is merit to a hand-written journal. I've been putting pen to paper for over twenty years, and have found its tactile nature to be as cathartic as the written word. Some days my handwriting is barely legible, some days billowing, but on most days it just looks like my "hand". Any deviation from that norm, though, tells me something about my state of mind that words cannot. And that picture is something that a typed page could never deliver.

For what it's worth, if someone wants to read what you've written they will find a way. In those twenty-odd years of paper journals I've had three people close to me break the unwritten "code" and read my words, and in each case what I wrote was held against me. Anyone determined to know your inner thoughts will not be deterred by the format. Had my thoughts been recorded more securely I'm sure that these three would have found a way to access it.

#83 Citygirl

Citygirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 00:07

Did this experience put you off journalling if what you wrote was used against you? This is my main worry when it comes to keeping a journal.

Edited by Citygirl, 18 January 2013 - 13:42.

#84 Citygirl

Citygirl

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 13:43

[quote name='MikeZ' timestamp='1358461999' post='2568416']
I won't weigh in on the security of digital over paper since there have been quite a few good ideas. I can, however, say that there is merit to a hand-written journal. I've been putting pen to paper for over twenty years, and have found its tactile nature to be as cathartic as the written word. Some days my handwriting is barely legible, some days billowing, but on most days it just looks like my "hand". Any deviation from that norm, though, tells me something about my state of mind that words cannot. And that picture is something that a typed page could never deliver.

For what it's worth, if someone wants to read what you've written they will find a way. In those twenty-odd years of paper journals I've had three people close to me break the unwritten "code" and read my words, and in each case what I wrote was held against me. Anyone determined to know your inner thoughts will not be deterred by the format. Had my thoughts been recorded more securely I'm sure that these three would have found a way to access it.

Did this experience put you off journalling if what you wrote was used against you? This is my main worry when it comes to keeping a journal.

#85 Martini25

Martini25

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:07

Citygirl, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. I started journaling when I was about 10 or so and have kept one since then. I don't have a lot of my older ones, what with moving and just general storage issues, but the few that I found have shown me the huge difference in how I journaled then and now. Now I have a catch all, where I write my personal thoughts and creative fiction all in once place. So someone reading it, thinking it was just a journal, would think I had the most delusional mind in all of creation.

Privacy will always be a matter that will hang out in your brain but that is what happens when you choose to write or type something down.

I have written somethings that definitely would change how a relationship would be viewed. But very few people would understand where I'm coming from. And I'm okay with that.

I also had something that I wrote down nearly tear my family apart but now, years after that fact, the most important people in my family are still at my side. It happens, but I was able to deal with it in a way that helped me and my family.

Edited by Martini25, 18 January 2013 - 16:26.

Every word written is a victory against death. -Michel Butor

Posted Image

#86 MikeZ

MikeZ

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 19:42

CityGirl,
My apologies for not responding sooner. To answer your question; no my unfortunate experiences have not stopped me from writing but they have made me a tad gun-shy. I'm a little cautious about what I record, concerned about the next possible breach, and I've used a few "code" words or phrases that have meaning to me but no one else to protect the innocent (so to speak). But in many cases I have taken a damn the torpedoes attitude and written what I like. Despite my experiences I'd like to believe in the goodness of man and not become too concerned over a possible interloper. I suppose I still trust that those close to me will honor my privacy as much as I honor theirs.