Does Anyone Do Crosshatch Writing?

ndw76

I saw an example of an old letter that used crosshatch writing. That is where you write a full page, then turn the paper ninety degrees and start writing over the previously written words. Apparently this was done in the early days to save paper and save on postal costs. When done well it creates a beautiful crosshatch pattern. I gave it a go, just for fun. My daughter is asleep so I can play with pen and paper now. It turned out a pretty crosshatch pattern and I was able to read what I had written, but slowly. It might work better if I used two differnt colour inks, one for each orientation of the paper.

Do does anyone else do crosshatch writing? At the moment my hand writing isn't be best, but if it was, do you think anyone would like to get a letter written in crosshatch?

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• ndw76

• Linsolv

• dcpritch

I have done, but only on rough notes on the back of envelopes.

I have not found it that easy to read.

It would be nice to see a sample of yours.

Dick D

Same here. I don't know if I would give it a try myself since my handwriting is usually pretty dense, but I would gladly see what you can show us.

"There is a kind of magical feature to writing: the ability to stand the test of time. As such, it is our gateway to Eternity".

"For a hand that can hold a featherless baby bird and not make bird paste, then a vintage pen is the best way to fly".

Here is my attempt at writing crosshatch. Of course I am no penman and even my normal writing can be hard to read. One thing I did notice when I was writing this is that if you turn cursive hand writing ninety degrees it becomes illegible. So when you are reading one line, the line traversing the line you are reading is just illegible scribble.

This could work a lot better if I put in more effort and used two different colour inks.

But I'm still not sure if anyone would appreciate receiving a letter written in crosshatch.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

The issue I'm thinking of is color selection. If you used different color inks that were complimentary and not far off from each other, it would still be hard to read for the other person. If you use two colors that were very different... say black and red.... I think you would fare much better on the legibility front. As long as the darker of the two was the first ink you wrote in, I think.

Fascinating. I've never heard of crosshatch writing before, but I can see the point. I think I might give it a go for myself.

Your example looks great ndw76...and definitely readable! :thumbup:

Thank you Malcolm. You are too kind.

...This could work a lot better if I put in more effort and used two different colour inks.

I've seen crosshatch writing a few times and the idea of it is fascinating. I like your idea of two ink colors so I've tried it here.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8301171082_b44b8310f8_o.jpg

...This could work a lot better if I put in more effort and used two different colour inks.

I've seen crosshatch writing a few times and the idea of it is fascinating. I like your idea of two ink colors so I've tried it here.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8301171082_b44b8310f8_o.jpg

:thumbup: Looks awesome! Using two different colors does seem to help with legibility.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

The reason one did this was to use less paper, especially when there wasn't a ton of money to go around spending on paper in hard economic times. Wasting paper trying to make a pretty attempt at something that is designed to save paper is a bit paradoxical.

The reason one did this was to use less paper, especially when there wasn't a ton of money to go around spending on paper in hard economic times. Wasting paper trying to make a pretty attempt at something that is designed to save paper is a bit paradoxical.

In this particular case, I don't think it qualifies as waste. That would only be the case if nothing else can be done with it, but that isn't the case. Besides, this (I'm assuming) would be qualified as an experiment, which means it DEFINITELY served a purpose. Now just make sure to stretch that purpose an use it again as packing material or to start a fire, or even better, a base to prevent spills and stains when refilling FPs from a bottle!

Yes, it was an experiment. I was thinking that if I was to purchase some fancy letter writing paper it would be quite expensive. You can't buy good letter writing stationary in Thailand. At least I haven't found any shops that sell such stuff. Also the examples of letter writing paper are smaller than A4. Also, while postage prices in Thailand are rather cheap, when I send a number of letters at the same time the cost adds up, even more so if the letters are send anything more than ordinary mail. These things combined with the fact that I can tend to have the written form of verbal diarhea would make being able to write cross hatch writing quite usefull.

So as well as trying it myself I wanted to find out if anyone else does this. As well as trying to improve my hand writing, should I also practice crosshatch writing?

Also, if you subscribe to the assertion that crosshatch writing is obsolete because postage and paper is no longer as expensive then you should also subscribe to the idea that letter writing is obsolete because email is cheaper and far easier.

Ultimately, I tried crosshatch writing because I wanted to do it.

Ultimately, I tried crosshatch writing because I wanted to do it.

I must say, very well put indeed. And you learned something, to boot. Good show.

First time I've ever seen something like this, and though I can't see sending a letter this way, I can say I've been enlightened. Great examples shown above, of which the bicolor version was the easiest for me to read.

Thanks!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I first saw this technique many years ago on some letters from, I think, the early 1920's and have 'played' with it over the years. My first thought on reading the 'two' ink idea was that it would be distracting, but seeing it means I have to re-think.

In addition to saving paper, or conserving paper, weight was a factor and I have seen this used on early airmail letters as well as the one-piece fold up airmail sheets designed to be letter and envelope in one-can't remember what that is called- but it allowed a great deal more information to be included.

I don't think I ever saw a name given to this method but 'crosshatch' sums it up nicely.

This is a journaling technique as well. Used often when you don;t want all of your words to be visible or readable in the finished piece.

I think the idea with it is the lack of uniformity

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

In this particular case, I don't think it qualifies as waste. That would only be the case if nothing else can be done with it, but that isn't the case. Besides, this (I'm assuming) would be qualified as an experiment, which means it DEFINITELY served a purpose. Now just make sure to stretch that purpose an use it again as packing material or to start a fire, or even better, a base to prevent spills and stains when refilling FPs from a bottle!

Sorry, I should've been clearer, the red-and-green text alluded to worrying that one might waste paper trying to get it perfect. It was from that, that I took the word "wasted" and responded.

If you can feel comfortable that you won't have to throw the whole sheet out when you make a mistake (or that you won't make a mistake) then it's not a waste at all. A bit curious, but everyone has their own ideas of what they think is cool. :P