• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Algester

• JonSzanto

• HalloweenHJB

• 5 weeks later...

Ah shoot! How do I know which version do I have? It is obvious that I don't have the 1st version, I didn't buy it as soon as it came out. And I bought it before the 4th version... Its got to be the 2nd or 3rd. But I'm not sure which. There is sediment in my bottle when I let it sit, it's easily shaken and broken up. But when I write with a drip pen on clairefontaine paper I don't see any sheen. Does the 2nd version sheen show up or is it just for show in the bottle? Or is that what the 3rd version?

Edit: I just checked my order log and I purchased it 11/2012.

Edited by anubisnut

~anu

The sheen on the first version is stunning.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_959.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Just in case you wonder, the ink really is RED, you just can't see it for the gold.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_741w.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow the plot thickens with each new post! Not only do I love the gold but I really would miss the green - it seems the new formulation is lacking in both...?

• 1 month later...

I got the J. Herbin Rouge Hematite 1670 Anniversary Ink 2 weeks ago. I'm having so much fun with it. It's a fascinating ink.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want some Red/Purple with lots of green, I suggest Cult Pens "Deep Dark Purple". Top half of each letter is purple, rest is green.
Also a little sheen, depending on paper and pen.

Hardly any feather and bleed-through on Clairefontaine DCP Ivory and White. A happy surprise!

Edited by Steffen Larsen

If you want some Red/Purple with lots of green, I suggest Cult Pens "Deep Dark Purple". Top half of each letter is purple, rest is green.

Also a little sheen, depending on paper and pen.

Hardly any feather and bleed-through on Clairefontaine DCP Ivory and White. A happy surprise!

Thanks for the suggestion, Steffen! I'll have to look for that ink and add it to my collection!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh those dreadfully wonderful J. Herbin people had to come up with a new 1670 ink! Now that I've seen the promo photos of Stormy Grey, I just can't wait for my bottle to arrive! Since I have to wait, I'll just go ahead and load up the Duocraft with Rouge Hematite and go nuts... ;)

fpn_1413899718__duocraft-rouge_hematite-

fpn_1413899672__duocraft-rouge-closeup.j

Great penmanship.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a bottle in from gouletville for this year's cards. No warning labels. The ink, once stirred and shaken well has a faint gold sheen/shimmer going on. Not perfect but it'll do. Using a Lamy Safari with 1.9 Italic.

Thank for the tips on regular and thorough cleansing. Wilco.

• 3 months later...

I just bought a new bottle of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Rouge Hematite. It arrived today. Because of the concerns over the ink clogging feeds and some mentions of the ink reacting badly with traces of other ink left in the pen I bought a cheap Jinhao X450 (in bright, vivid red so there's no mistaking which pen holds the Rouge Hematite) to go with the ink.

I cleaned and dried the Jinhao very thoroughly before inking it. I always clean these pens meticulously because I've found that makes the difference between a poor and a good writing pen. The nib is a medium #6 without any noticeable flex. The pen lays a very wet line.

The bottle of ink has a lot of gold sediment in it and the warning sticker was affixed to the cellophane wrap on the box. I'm assuming this is the latest iteration of this ink

The ink looks fantastic on paper. It writes without feathering or bleeding through cheap paper which is kind of a surprise. My bottle of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Bleu Ocean is one of my favorite inks but it shoots through cheap paper like a bullet and blots on the sheet behind the one being written upon. The Rouge Hematite doesn't have that problem at all.

There's lots of sheen and lots of gold shading to the ink. Unfortunately I have only a cell phone and a digital "Instamatic" sort of camera so taking good, clear, usable closeup pictures is out of the question. Last time I tried to post a picture taken with my camera I caught a load of grief for it. So that's not happening again, sorry.

I have to hope I got the latest formula and that they finally got it right. The pen I put it in will be dedicated to this ink only so all I should need to do is clean it between fillings. We'll see how that goes. I keep a handwritten log book for work, I use a different shade of blue or bluish ink each day to make it easy to differentiate days at a glance. I also write a very brief synopsis of each log entry in the side margin to make it easy to find what I'm looking for when I need to isolate an entry for any reason. The little notes in the margin are always in red ink and the reason I'm telling you all of this is because I'm going to use this ink for a month or two and it will get used every day. If there's anything more to tell I'll come back and either edit this one or write a new entry.

As things stand right now I've written a couple pages with this ink just playing with it to see how it writes. It's great ink -- wet, vivid, nice shading even with a stiff medium nib, and the shade differentiation is very pronounced. There is a good amount of gold in the line this ink lays coming from this pen and I'm happy with it. In fact, I'm totally satisfied.

Strange things about this ink ... The price seems to bounce around like crazy. I got my bottle for $19.67 on Amazon and less than a week later it's up to $21.58. I've seen it well north of $40 a bottle in the past so I decided when it was under $20 I'd better jump if I wanted a bottle.

This ink does dry kind of slow, my cat blotted it for me by walking across something I had just written. It didn't seem to hurt the cat any, she's still her normal mischievous self with a red paw pad. We both seem to have more or less ink on our fingers (or toes in the cat's case) all the time.