An Unusual Oblique Holder

Mickey

I just picked this up a couple of days ago and while I'm not quite in love with it yet, I'm definitely liking it.

post-43675-0-74817800-1356034561.jpg

I have no idea who made (or manufactured) the holder, but the style is reminiscent of the Skeels and Gmeiner holders, though not quite as extreme. There is definitely a place for your thumb to fit (shades of the Lamy Safari), but unlike the Skeels and Gmeiner holders, the oblique angle is set by the flange, not by the woodworking. You should be able to see what I mean in the next image.

post-43675-0-41968900-1356034594.jpg

Finally, here it is being put to work. (BTW, the nib is an Esterbrook 128.)

post-43675-0-50772000-1356034668.jpg

If anyone knows any more about this style of holder, let me know.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mickey

• msacco

• Cryptos

• erikanxpress

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Old topic, but I just saw this. To the poster; you have a Strahm holder. Awesome vintage holders. Here's mine

Edited by msacco

Thanks for the information. It looks like a very similar design, but, a few months after my original post, Bill Lilly identified it as a holder he'd made a long time ago. It was part of an Ohio estate sale, which included a 11 3/4" Magnusson. (I bought it, too). Regardless of who made it, it's just about my favorite holder.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Mickey, how often do you see pen holders at estate sales? Obviously over here (NZ) there is little to no chance to get hands on any. Apparently I am allowed to get a Zanerian from PIA for Christmas - which is ironic as I haven't had an Xmas present in years (last year I had one card, and that was from my Mum!). Anyway it would be nice to get hold of a genuine antique. Outside of estate sales is there any kind of market? I cannot find anything of note on the Web.

Just wonderin'

Beautiful holder there though. I am dead envious. More so as such things seem geographically out of reach, to say nothing of financially. :)

I didn't go to the estate sale. I purchased from a dealer who deals mostly in fountain pens. The two holders I purchased were part of a large pen collection. I haven't seen any evidence of a much market in antique holders. They do show up on general auction sites (like ebay), but not all that often, and I suppose there is a fair amount of trading associated with IAMPETH members. I think we need to appreciate that holders were a consumable, often purchased in dozens. Consequently, only a relatively small number of the many, many thousands manufactured survive. Perhaps msacco could how tell us how the Strahm was obtained.

Edited by Mickey

• 3 years later...

I have made a few replicas of these so far. Can anyone give me information about the Tower, Mitnik, Strahm company that originally made them? I have the chance to provide a prop for a movie set in the 1890's and I'd like to give the prop master more detail about the historical context.

Thanks!!