Pen For Every Day Carry

afern401

EDC - This is such a hard question to answer. There are people who say all their pens are EDC because that's what they bought them for. For me, the answer is situational.

When I know I will be in my office, all day, without doubt there is a pretty broad range of pens that I will carry. When I know I will be on a road trip, there is another more restricted group of pens that go with me. And then there are few pens just don't leave my home office, period.

The stay at home pens are those that would be too hard or too expensive to replace; A few vintage Parkers and Shaffer's with original broad or stub nibs, and my one and only MB. There are a couple nothing especial pens that stay at home too, because they are very wet writers. In my work life I encounter only krap paper and the paper moves quickly so no sense carrying a pen that will feather or bleed through or will take an inordinate amount of time to dry. A FP signature that is smeared or very feathered gives exactly the opposite impression originally intended.

My EDC Office day pens are a wider variety, but generally tend to be not so wet writers. Again krap paper requires something that dries fairly fast and so I tend more to F or M points. There are several P51's which are fantastic writers, nice looking without being ostentatious. I have a couple P45's which also serve the purpose well. All my Pelikans will fit in this category though the M600, and the 50's era M400 tortoise (both with Motishaw nibs) almost write too wet, but they are among the most enjoyable writers I have. So they get to go based solely on merit. As you know, you will be hard pressed to get a Pelikan for under $100, but I think any Pelikan you buy will serve you well as a carry pen.

For EDC road trip I tend to leave the Pelikans home mostly because I am in and out of cars, and offices, and meeting rooms, and restaurants and the more of that you do the greater the risk of losing a pen. I lean more toward the Parkers mentioned above, a Lamy Safari, and the Twsbi Vac 700. Again I can expect crappy paper but I usually have my own tablet of decent paper (Rhodia) along for meeting notes. These pens are very durable, tend to write a little dryer, (better on krap paper) and also are pretty good looking. The Twsbi is a demonstrator and almost always draws a comment or closer look whenever it comes out. I would be disappointed to loose either of them, but I would not have much trouble (economically or psychologically) replacing them, and both are easily within your price range. In fact you could purchase either of these pens (Twsbi and Lamy) and an extra nib or two and still be easily under $100 and essentially have a pen that delivers completely different impressions with a F and 1.1 stub nib. Probably the two pens that see the most duty in this situation though are two of the Parker 51's. These things are just great writers and really stand up under just about any circumstances. Both are over 50 years old, were less than $60 on EBay, and pretty easy on the eyes. They perform fantastically after nothing more than a thorough soaking and cleaning.

This will probably draw jeers but I also have a stable of Schaeffer's no nonsense pens that are great anywhere. The best od these is the oldest; a plain black pen with a M nib that is gold. I bought this in the late 70's or early 80's I think. I don't know if the nib is gold or plated but it is a fantastic writer and it really has seen the knocks. The others are newer with SS nibs. They do fine but definitely do not write as smoothly as the older one.

So for your $100 I'd say you have plenty of choices that will meet your requirements. And if you are even just a little bit clever you should be able to come away with possibly TWO "new pen(s) so there" ... and after all if one new pen is a good thing, wouldn't two new pens be twice as good?

Merry Christmas

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• afern401

• SallyLyn

• mAnuscript69

As a practical and unusual-looking pen I think the Pilot Vanishing Points are hard to beat. That said, I'm torn about recommending them because once one gets used to the convenience and fantastic nibs then nothing else will do! If my first FP had been a VP it'd probably be the only one I own!

Cheers,

NM

I'd second the Kaweco Sport! But, like some others have mentioned almost all of my pens would qualify as daily carry items but what I carry any particular day depends on what I'm wearing. The Kaweco sport can fit—and be carried safely—in almost any pocket whether a coat, shirt or the front pocket of a pair of jeans. However, I usually carry pens in a shirt breast pocket and for that my favourites are Pelikan m200 series pens or the new TWSBI mini or an Ohto Dude because they're reasonably small and light—the Dude is a bit heavier but it's thin enough to slip into one of the pencil slots which some shirts have and all of them seal well so they don't dry out, post well and are very reliable writers—in addition they can be quickly checked for ink level, unlike some vintage pens I have which would otherwise fit the bill like my Esterbrooks.

So, figure out how you will carry it—which pocket or in a case and what size limits that imposes and how small or large a pen is comfortable for you to write with. Consider how much ink you'll be using in a day. Consider how crushproof and break resistant the pen has to be to survive your adventures. Then find one that meets those criteria and fits your budget.

Finer nibs tend to work better on cheap paper, the type of ink is also a big factor, I've had good luck with iron gall inks, Noodler's black, Pelikan 4001 and Lamy black, Sailor SeiBoku and Pilot/Namiki standard inks, haven't tried the Iroshizuku.

Edited by NedC

Thanks for all of the replies. You have all given me a lot to think about. Both of my pens are capable of being EDC just like most of yours. I suppose I could have found a better term for what I was looking for.

@ Sasha: There are four "arms" that sit flush against the inside of the pen cap. Perhaps they hold the inner cap in place, I'm not sure. Anyhow, one of the "arms" is bent away from the side of the cap and at times will contact the nib when capped, causing the nib to pump out ink. The pen still works, it can just be a pain to clean and wastes a lot of ink. I have left it inkless on the shelf for a few months because of this problem. I haven't found the right way to bend the arm back in place.

I have a question that is right in line with this thread. When deciding on an EDC pen, obviously which pen is a very important part of the equation. But what about an EDC inkink to use in that pen? I was writing today with my Sheaffer Nononsense (medium nib, black skrip ink cartridge) and it ended up almost to the point where I couldn't read what was on the back on the page after I'd written on the front off the page. I had initially written on the front and back of the page with a blue ballpoint, but the FP ink came close to obliterating that. I understand of course that this is mostly a paper issue, but I guess that's where I'm going with this- since you can't really ever know for sure what kind of paper you'll be asked to (or be forced to) use throughout the course of a normal day, is there a good ink to use to "hedge your bets" so to speak? I'm betting most standard paper these days (like good old notebook paper or notepad paper) doesn't really hold up well to FP ink., and in my experience that's almost always the kind of paper you encounter while out and about. Even if you carry the paper you want to use around with you all the time, a lot of times it's simply not an acceptable alternative.

I would also consider a Parker 51, they are great pens!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I know it's not quite the same, but I was lucky enough to acquire a Hero 616 today... that's very close to a 51, right? Maybe not as well built, but design wise?

Edited by Harlequin

I know it's not quite the same, but I was lucky enough to acquire a Hero 616 today... that's very close to a 51, right? Maybe not as well built, but design wise?

I have both and while similar in design there is no true comparison. I wouldn't even suggest that the 616 gives you a flavor of life with a 51....it just doesn't have the same feel in your hand or glide across the page.

NM

I've heard that repeated by many people. I guess it's just a pale imitation now. Maybe I can luck myself into an authentic 51 one day.

I have a question that is right in line with this thread. When deciding on an EDC pen, obviously which pen is a very important part of the equation. But what about an EDC inkink to use in that pen? I was writing today with my Sheaffer Nononsense (medium nib, black skrip ink cartridge) and it ended up almost to the point where I couldn't read what was on the back on the page after I'd written on the front off the page. I had initially written on the front and back of the page with a blue ballpoint, but the FP ink came close to obliterating that. I understand of course that this is mostly a paper issue, but I guess that's where I'm going with this- since you can't really ever know for sure what kind of paper you'll be asked to (or be forced to) use throughout the course of a normal day, is there a good ink to use to "hedge your bets" so to speak? I'm betting most standard paper these days (like good old notebook paper or notepad paper) doesn't really hold up well to FP ink., and in my experience that's almost always the kind of paper you encounter while out and about. Even if you carry the paper you want to use around with you all the time, a lot of times it's simply not an acceptable alternative.

I would suggest well-behaved inks like Parker Quink, Waterman or Noodler's Black. Never had any problems with those on cheap paper.

I do not own a 51; with some tuning the 616 Jumbos are pretty decent. The 616 is too slim, while the 616 Jumbo/Doctor is closer to the 51 in size.

I have both and while similar in design there is no true comparison. I wouldn't even suggest that the 616 gives you a flavor of life with a 51....it just doesn't have the same feel in your hand or glide across the page.

NM

I would agree, having used both a 616 and a 51. Personally, I think a Hero 616 is an OK pen. If you develop an interest in the Parker "51", odds are that you'll eventually acquire a 616. Based on my own experience, there is no 616 that offers the long-term performance of a 51 Aerometric.

Again, just one person's view, but hope this helps.

I suppose what I meant by everyday pen was along the lines of: can be used in any situation i.e. versatile, and isn't so costly that I will deeply regret losing or damaging. I'm thinking south of $100. I am looking for a pen that can handle being jostled about.

Lamy Safari, Platinum #3776, Sheaffer 440, Kaweco Student, Pilot Prera, Reform 1745, Pelikan Pelikano/Future/M200, Smart ForTwo (over 100$ at MSRP, but easy to find with good discounts), Inoxcroms (lots: Wall Street, Nude, Caravel, etc etc), Parker 21/51/Sonnet/..., and the list goes on.

I think you should set filling system, size, screw/push cap, and other variables if you want to reduce the list.

As an EDC, I had a Safari clipped to my pants pocket for 4 years. This year I also tried an Ahab for several months. Winner: Safari. The big clip and snap-on cap was just too convenient.

54th mass works well for an edc ink in my limited experience. Seriously, I'm writing on everything I can find because I'm a newbie and excited about using my new pens. The stuff has yet to smear or anything on me yet no matter what kind of paper it goes on.

54th mass works well for an edc ink in my limited experience. Seriously, I'm writing on everything I can find because I'm a newbie and excited about using my new pens. The stuff has yet to smear or anything on me yet no matter what kind of paper it goes on.

Me too, lol!

A VP scores very highly on the 'toy' scale :D Just remember that the nibs run finer for each grade than Lamy's.

That is not my experience at all, having owned a Lamy 2000 and a VP, both with medium nibs.

I'm not sure what qualifies for every day carry or not. I would carry any one of the pens I own on a daily basis. Otherwise, I would not buy them.

I agree with this statement. All of my pens are "everyday pens" in the sense that, when I ink them up, I carry them around and use them.

I bought them for that very purpose.

I also agree. What's the point of a pen that you can't carry around with you everywhere you go? Unless it's a desk pen I would say every pen is an EDC.

But what about an EDC ink to use in that pen? I was writing today with my Sheaffer Nononsense (medium nib, black skrip ink cartridge) and it ended up almost to the point where I couldn't read what was on the back on the page after I'd written on the front off the page.

Noodler's Black. It's the best for handling random paper that you may encounter during the course of your day. However... Noodler's Black is not the fastest drying ink, so you need to remember that when you jot something down and start to hand it over to somebody else. It may need a few seconds before it becomes smudge-free.

Sadly, I've been running into more forms printed on absolutely atrocious copy paper that even Noodler's Black cuts through. In these situations your only option is to either carry a ballpoint (or gel rollerball, perhaps) in addition to your fountain pen, or else rely on whoever handed you the form to also hand you a disposable ballpoint to fill it out with.

Safari. Isn't that what they're *for*? It looks distinctive enough that if someone else starts walking off with it, you'll be able to tell, and you can't beat that clip.

For ink, I've been finding the Diamine and De Atramentis inks I've tried so far do pretty well on anything I've run into at work that's not actually waxed, even thermal printed stuff, and the blood reds (Diamine) and dark greens/greys (De Atramentis) I've been using seem to dry faster than Noodler's. Not at all waterproof, though. If there's no rule in your workplace about using black/blue/blue-black, use something else! Makes it easier for other people to tell who wrote something. As long as it's dark enough to be readable, of course.

Safari collector, italic nib and cheap pen evangelist.

Wanted: De Atramentis Magic Alchemist (also Magic Boarding School or Wizard)