Pen For Every Day Carry

afern401

Hi all,

I am looking for a new everyday pen. I don't suppose I really need one because the 2 pens I own work for EDC, but my Lamy Studio is a little heavy after a while and my Parker 45 is in need of repair. Also, I'm new to this and just want a new toy, so there. I am looking for a sturdy pen and, if such a thing exists, a pen/nib that writes well on cheap paper. If that is more a matter of ink let me know and I can pose the question in the correct place.

Thanks,

Alex

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• afern401

• SallyLyn

• mAnuscript69

What size nib do you prefer? Also any preference of the overall size of the pen? Do you prefer a certain feel (smooth or with some feedback)? What's your favorite pen color?

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

My two every day carry pens, carefully prepared for any cheap paper I might encounter are a Pelikan m200 F nib, loaded with Montblanc Midnight Blue and (for REALLY cheap paper) a TWSBI Mini F nib with Noodlers Black. Both are light and reliable piston workhorses. :thumbup:

Edited by carlos.q

I'm not sure what qualifies for every day carry or not. I would carry any one of the pens I own on a daily basis. Otherwise, I would not buy them. The answer to your question depend a lot on price point. I'd consider Sailor or Pelikan as contenders as they offer may options at a range of price points.

I use a Lamy 2000, Vanishing Point, Pelikan 205, or Lamy Safari.

Safari works for situations where someone might walk off with it or you might damage it. Also Lamy EF nibs and the right ink will be your best bet at finding a pen that does not bleed too much during every day paper. Pilot VP with an EF is perfect, but costly if you lose it.

I usually carry 3 pens, but I am only going out to the VA hospital for full day of tests and stuff like that.. I have no ability to refill, and could spend a few hours just sitting around and writing.

I like the Pelikan 205 with an EF nib ( you can buy extra nibs and just change them as you wish since they screw on. ). But it is over 100 USD for a carry pen.

Lamy does make a few pens like the Logo, and Pur.. both light, but very slim so grip is not good for larger hands.. But my advice is to avoid them.. The Logo is cheap junk,, which shocked me since the Safari and AL Star are well made for the price, so I expected alot from a $45 Logo..

Your life really starts when you buy your first Dupont fountain pen; so stop aimlessly wandering through life and buy a Dupont!

Paralyzed US Army Paratrooper - All The Way!

I'm not sure what qualifies for every day carry or not. I would carry any one of the pens I own on a daily basis. Otherwise, I would not buy them.

I agree with this statement. All of my pens are "everyday pens" in the sense that, when I ink them up, I carry them around and use them.

I bought them for that very purpose.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

I'm carrying a Reform 1745 because it fits my pocket well and isn't conspicuous. It doesn't write nearly as well as a flagship pen. But if I lose it I have a backup at home. I carried my Lamy 2000 the first couple of days I had it (my precious) but it has probably seen the light of day for the last time. I'll carry TWSBIs and my Safari though. If I ever get the Namiki Custom 823 I want it will never see the light of day nor the light of the moon for that matter. If my pens were my daughters they would be sent off to a convent. Not that I would really do that to my daughters but I might send my boys to military school.

Pens - Lamys: 2000, AL-Star, Safari; Reform 1745s; TWSBI 540s

Inks - Diamine Midnight Blue, Liberty Elysium, Perle Noire, Yama-Budo

Paper - Cranes & Co, Fabriano Medioevalis, G Lalo, Rhodia, Strathmore

My choices for EDC are usually my VP or a 51, but I'd carry pretty much every pen I own - besides the Kullock 51 desk pen, but that won't fit in my pocket!

Thanks for all of the thoughtful feedback. I suppose what I meant by everyday pen was along the lines of: can be used in any situation i.e. versatile, and isn't so costly that I will deeply regret losing or damaging. I'm thinking south of $100. I am looking for a pen that can handle being jostled about. I will look up all of the suggestions and start making decisions. Thanks again for the help!

MB Starwalker has become by every day carry pen.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Waterman Phileas and J-series Esterbrook are my good choices for carrying.

However, my first choice for decades has been a Parker 45. Unless I lose

it, or crush it by sitting on it, the P45 is always ready.

What about your Parker 45 needs repair ? This is a matter of much

curiosity to me.

Good hunting.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Gate City Belmont

I've been wanting one of those for A While. It does seem to have just about the perfect feature set, and I've heard only good things from the people who have them.

I just got a second TWSBI Vac 700, this time in the clear version. I'm working up a full review on them. I've been very impressed with the Vac 700, but I want to give it just a wee bit more testing before I start recommending them to everybody.

In the semi-vintage arena, you can usually find Sheaffer Imperials pretty cheap and in good condition, and they are highly practical to carry around everywhere. (I like Targas even better, but they are more expensive.)

... I don't suppose I really need one ... just want a new toy, so there.

This is the part of your initial question I noticed. Of course we don't need another pen, but when has that stopped us. B)

As far as pens for EDC, I use any and all of mine to carry around, only the ones without clips remain at my desk.

If, instead of just looking for another pen you would like to own, you are really looking for a pen that can be knocked around, dropped in the parking lot, rolled around on the dash of your truck (in other words, the Timex of pens - keeps a licking and keeps on ticking), then I recommend the TWSBI Micarta or one of watch_art's micarta pens. The material is more bulletproof than anything else I've seen used for fountain pens.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Oops, dupe post. Frustrating, iPad doesn't let me post images or do tiny url easily!

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

This pen is a great EDC, a smooth, fantastic writer, passes the  cement-mixer drive-over test, and costs less than $30.It even converts to a gel-roller, whatever that is.And, it is a tactical self-defense weapon.

Really, see videos on U-tube

.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004QJJJOO/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods

It is so big it is hard to lose.Only problem is, i am chicken to try to get it on a plan,

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Parker 51 Aerometrics often come up on eBay well under your $100 price-point. Often it takes a multi-cycle process of flushing (water, a bit of dishwashing liquid in water, perhaps a flushing using a 10% ammonia solution in water- just not all at once) to clean out the filling system. Sometimes it takes a bit more (i.e., the pen is sent to someone who has the skill and the parts to further work on the pen without causing damage) to get a 51 Aero fully functional. If you're not too fussy about the cosmetics (a more "user quality" pen and cap), all of this can likely be done within your stated budget.

Between the Lustraloy (essentially, a brushed Stainless Steel) cap and the Lucite barrel, these pens are pretty robust.

Hope this helps.