Pelikan M800 In Tortoiseshell Brown Set For February Release!

dannzeman

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Pelikan-Souveran-800-tortoiseshell-brown-fountain-pen1.jpg

Looks like the rumors were true. Pelikan will be producing a M800 in Tortoiseshell Brown with expected delivery set for February of 2013.

The unique brown tortoiseshell barrel is in the trademark Pelikan striated design and is perfectly complimented by dark brown resin parts and 24c gold plated trim. It will come with a two-tone 18k gold nib available officially in Fine, Medium and Broad. Other widths may be available depending on the retailer.

It appears to be a one time production of very limited numbers. The Pelikan Souverän M800 in Tortoiseshell Brown will be available as a fountain pen (£425.00 including VAT at 20%), rollerball (£250) and ball pen (£215). No word yet on US pricing or availability.

Source: PelikanPens

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertJRB

• The Good Captain

• Nibwitz

• alc3261

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice: very nice!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Why make it so limited?

Surely this configuration would be popular enough to keep around as part of the standard line up?

The recommended retail of the standard M800 is (I think) about £380 incl. VAT, - £100 +/- for the actual street prices...

Wonder what these'll end up going for?

Awesome. I so hope the world doesn't end at 21-12 and we get to see this beauty in real life.

Pelikan nut

:yikes:

:puddle:

First one I see at an appropriate discount, I'm in! Credit card locked and loaded. Can't wait!

I wish Pam Braun were still in business. :bawl:

Why limited numbers? Because it drives up the cost. I'd love a tortoiseshell Pelikan but I'm not going to pay M800 prices to start with, and a limited edition M800? Not a chance. I'll keep looking for an old used one at a decent price.

I have one Pelikan and I love it, but I got it cheap from Greg Minuskin and frankly Pelikan is pricing themselves out of my range. They seem to be going for the luxury market, but my pen? NOT worth luxury prices, good solid writer, but wouldn't pay what they want new for it.

Why limited numbers? Because it drives up the cost. I'd love a tortoiseshell Pelikan but I'm not going to pay M800 prices to start with, and a limited edition M800? Not a chance. I'll keep looking for an old used one at a decent price.

I have one Pelikan and I love it, but I got it cheap from Greg Minuskin and frankly Pelikan is pricing themselves out of my range. They seem to be going for the luxury market, but my pen? NOT worth luxury prices, good solid writer, but wouldn't pay what they want new for it.

Its not really a limited edition, its a special edition. Normally those don't tend to be more expensive than the regular pens. M800 demonstrator was even cheaper than the standard green model. The used price market however can be different.

I don't know which pelikan model u have, but so far I find my pelikans to be worth every penny I paid for them. Also the limited editions. Especially when compared to montblanc. I have one of those to, bought new, but really regret it for the price I paid.

Looking for a old M800 tortoise brown can be expensive I think. They aren't really common and quite popular. I think buying this new model would be the cheapest option.

Pelikan nut

It'll be getting near a somewhat landmark of a birthday for me so: bring it on!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I've got an M200 with steel nib. Don't get me wrong, it is nice. I really enjoy it, and I'd happily get another Pelikan based on it.

But it isn't $100 nice, I paid a quarter that for it. It sits nicely with my TWSBI (though feels far less substantial) which cost me $50... The nib, no nicer than the TWSBI. Now the gold nib models may make a HUGE jump in quality. So there is nothing at all wrong with it, I would just expect more from the pen if I'd paid full retail. I really like the M200, but it really isn't 2x as quality as my $50 pens is the thing.

I've got an antique Pelikan with a gold nib coming and I'm eager to see how it stacks up. Glad to hear that special editions aren't typically more expensive. But the M800 is still a pricey pen.

(Not looking for a used M800. The used M400 (60s I think) tortoiseshells seem to go around $200 - $300 which is far more doable for me. And size is better anyway.)

Edited by tandaina

I've got an M200 with steel nib. Don't get me wrong, it is nice. I really enjoy it, and I'd happily get another Pelikan based on it.

But it isn't $100 nice, I paid a quarter that for it. It sits nicely with my TWSBI (though feels far less substantial) which cost me $50... The nib, no nicer than the TWSBI. Now the gold nib models may make a HUGE jump in quality. So there is nothing at all wrong with it, I would just expect more from the pen if I'd paid full retail. I really like the M200, but it really isn't 2x as quality as my $50 pens is the thing.

I've got an antique Pelikan with a gold nib coming and I'm eager to see how it stacks up. Glad to hear that special editions aren't typically more expensive. But the M800 is still a pricey pen.

I agree on the M200. Never knew these were 100 dollar. I always thought the M250 (m200 with 14K gold nib) was about that price. Have a m200 citroenpers myself, and it was 65 euro new, about 85 dollar what I think it a good price for this model. Especially since that model came with a book and is a limited edition of 1200 pieces.

Indeed the M800 is a real pricey pen, but if u compare its price against those of big pens from the other manufactures like MB or Omas I think its quite fair. But I do notice I sometimes step over the price to easily. Pelikan sure doesn't help by introducing this pen.

Vintage pelikans are really great. I have a brown tortoise 400 from the 50's which was originally from my granddad. It has a real nice flex nib and is great to wright with. Enjoy it when it arrives and don't forget to show some pictures :)

Pelikan nut

Yeah, the cheapest you get an M200 in the states is iSellPens for around $100. Amazon has a FEW left at the old $80 price tag but even that is a bit much. I get the impression they are much more reasonable in Europe. But given our horrible exchange rate that falls out to about what we're paying here. Dollar is week and shipping is getting more expensive I suppose.

Yup, that M400 tortoise is what I have my eye on. I find one of those with a flexi nib and I'll be leaping on it. :)

That looks fantastic. But it's more than a 50 % premium over the standard M800s (at least based on the pricing at Niche Pens)! That's pretty steep.

But it's more than a 50 % premium over the standard M800s

from the description: its complimented by DARK BROWN "precious resin" :rolleyes:

that should account for the increase in price j/k

this looks really nice, hope I get one next year!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Yeah, the cheapest you get an M200 in the states is iSellPens for around $100. Amazon has a FEW left at the old $80 price tag but even that is a bit much. I get the impression they are much more reasonable in Europe. But given our horrible exchange rate that falls out to about what we're paying here. Dollar is week and shipping is getting more expensive I suppose.

Yup, that M400 tortoise is what I have my eye on. I find one of those with a flexi nib and I'll be leaping on it. :)

Its sad Pam Braun stopped. She had some good prices and was in the US. Luckily we have places like martini auctions and penboard.de who sell for great prices. U might want to try martini for a good price. I see she has a M400 brown tortoise on auction right now. Highest bid is 62 euro.

http://www.martiniauctions.com/item/id/Pelikan_M400_old_style_fountain_pen_TORTOISE_striated_pre_1997__23199.html

But these are the more modern ones. The really flexi ones are the older 400, 400n or 400nn.

Pelikan nut

I understand your price constraints, but in my experience and that of others, I think you'll find prices in the US cheaper than those in Europe. Feel free to contact me, by the way on the M400 in tortoise, though it may be above your chosen price point.

Just a cautionary note, before we all get too worked up (and I have contacted my source), if you look at the official Pelikan site there is no mention of this.

Granted, the image looks like it was produced by Pelikan's agency, but the word of the pen is out of a UK distributor, not the factory.

I hope everyone is right, that this one is coming, but I'm not holding my breath.

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Pelikan-Souveran-800-tortoiseshell-brown-fountain-pen1.jpg

Looks like the rumors were true. Pelikan will be producing a M800 in Tortoiseshell Brown with expected delivery set for February of 2013.

The unique brown tortoiseshell barrel is in the trademark Pelikan striated design and is perfectly complimented by dark brown resin parts and 24c gold plated trim. It will come with a two-tone 18k gold nib available officially in Fine, Medium and Broad. Other widths may be available depending on the retailer.

It appears to be a one time production of very limited numbers. The Pelikan Souverän M800 in Tortoiseshell Brown will be available as a fountain pen (£425.00 including VAT at 20%), rollerball (£250) and ball pen (£215). No word yet on US pricing or availability.

Source: PelikanPens