Why I Switched To Leuchtturm Master 1917 Notebook

leomitch

@NativeTxn - great minds think alike! I also ordered 5 large (dot) right before the price increase!

Buying in bulk/quantities is a good idea. I may take a shot at that too. Get all the pain over with at once. At least one still gets a discount at Goulet's for buying five or more. I should have thought of that before the price hike. :(

Leo

Edited by leomitch

Leo James Mitchell

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leomitch

• plc123

• Kate10

• NativeTxn

@leo - I used to journal in the Exacompta sketch book, loved the paper, and then they discontinued the blank one, not sure why. So, my buying a bunch at a time was partly because of the price increase and partly paranoia that it might be discontinued at some point.

@leo - I used to journal in the Exacompta sketch book, loved the paper, and then they discontinued the blank one, not sure why. So, my buying a bunch at a time was partly because of the price increase and partly paranoia that it might be discontinued at some point.

Ah my friend! Let us hope that doesn't happen. Having found the Leuctturm notebook only to have it discontinued would be a horrible thing to happen. I am not fanatical about these notebooks, but I know a good thing when I see one and this is a good thing as Martha would say! :lticaptd:

Cheers mate

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

I basically bought 5 last week because I like the notebooks, you get a 5% discount from Goulet if you order 5 at a time (which is definitely better than nothing), and I wanted to go ahead and grab them before the price hike.

This is exciting! I have found a source for Leuctthurm Notebooks in Canada. Stylus Fine Pens in Edmonton. Here is the web address for the online store: http://www.stylusfinepens.com/ Canadian pen lovers be happy!

His Master Notebooks are $3.00 cheaper than Goulet's price and his shipping is much cheaper. For example to buy a Master notebook and a bottle of ink is $44.00 ($29.00 + $15.00) and the shipping to my house in Kitchener, Ontario, about 2000 miles away, is $12.00 as opposed to $32.00 for the cheapest rate from Goulet's. They ship to the USA for a flat rate of $20.00 anywhere in the Continental USA for the same item. He carries an excellent spectrum of fine inks, some I have never heard of, fine pens by all the fine Italian, German, Japanese, Indian American etc. companies and a selection of paper and note-books to die for. Take a look for yourself and see what you think.

I am so excited to have found this place. I will be placing an order soon.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

Interesting...

I currently use Rhodia and/or APICA but often find the pages to be too thick (paper too heavy) for no apparent reason so I will be interested in trying out the Leuchtturm Master 1917 Notebook.

What I found to be most annoying is when pages refuse to lie flat. I put almost no pressure when I write and I don't much like to hold the paper in place therefore thick paper (like Clairefontaine) always seems to float up as soon as the nib leaves the page and because fountain pens are super awesome, just the paper touching the nib as you try to lift the pen will make doodles, thus ruining a whole page of writing.

Anyhow, now I got a new mission after work today: aquire a Leuchtturm notebook :).

"La charité du sage le pousse parfois à paraitre ému, fâché ou réjoui afin de ne pas blesser son entourage
par la froideur et la lucidité de sa vraie nature."

http://i45.tinypic.com/ekoyc.jpg

Interesting...

I currently use Rhodia and/or APICA but often find the pages to be too thick (paper too heavy) for no apparent reason so I will be interested in trying out the Leuchtturm Master 1917 Notebook.

What I found to be most annoying is when pages refuse to lie flat. I put almost no pressure when I write and I don't much like to hold the paper in place therefore thick paper (like Clairefontaine) always seems to float up as soon as the nib leaves the page and because fountain pens are super awesome, just the paper touching the nib as you try to lift the pen will make doodles, thus ruining a whole page of writing.

Anyhow, now I got a new mission after work today: aquire a Leuchtturm notebook :).

Salut Dimitry

I think you will be pleased with the 1917 Master Leuchtturm note-book. I have not noticed that problem with this note-book, but I know what you are talking about. Since you are in Canada, will you try the Edmonton dealer mentioned above?

Cordialement

Leo

Edited by leomitch

Leo James Mitchell

Salut Dimitry

-snip-

Since you are in Canada, will you try the Edmonton dealer mentioned above?

Cordialement

Leo

Salut Leo!

I actually have a very nice local paper shop here in Montreal. They hold a lot of nice products and if I'm not mistaken, they also have Leuchtturm notebooks.

I will visit them tonight and report back on my thoughts about the notebook. Surely, I will like it. I used to use some cheap no-name paper which was very light (almost transparent) yet took FP ink without a problem. I expect Leuchtturm to be quite similar.

Kind regards,

Dimitry

"La charité du sage le pousse parfois à paraitre ému, fâché ou réjoui afin de ne pas blesser son entourage

Salut Leo!

I actually have a very nice local paper shop here in Montreal. They hold a lot of nice products and if I'm not mistaken, they also have Leuchtturm notebooks.

I will visit them tonight and report back on my thoughts about the notebook. Surely, I will like it. I used to use some cheap no-name paper which was very light (almost transparent) yet took FP ink without a problem. I expect Leuchtturm to be quite similar.

Kind regards,

Dimitry

Please get back to me and let me know the name and address of that store mon ami. Perhaps I can buy from there too..

Regards

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

Ditto. I bought one, and love everything about it but that. I rarely use it now, because I consider only the fronts of the pages useable due to the show-through.

If they upgrade to a better quality paper in the future, then I'll definitely try one out again.

I believe that is exactly what they have done. My new copy of the Master 1917 definitely has better quality paper...less show through and no bleed through or feathery. This note-book with dots was recently bought from Goulet's, so if you buy from that lot you will have the better paper. The trouble of course is that every dealer has a different lot in stock, so one never knows whether the stock is the old stuff or the very recent stock. You can pretty well count on Goulets stock as I am sure they have good turnover of stock.

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

I believe that is exactly what they have done. My new copy of the Master 1917 definitely has better quality paper...less show through and no bleed through or feathery. This note-book with dots was recently bought from Goulet's, so if you buy from that lot you will have the better paper. The trouble of course is that every dealer has a different lot in stock, so one never knows whether the stock is the old stuff or the very recent stock. You can pretty well count on Goulets stock as I am sure they have good turnover of stock.

Leo

Could be the reason for the increase in price.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

Hmmm! I never thought of that. Perhaps that is the reason for the price hike.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

Salut Leo!

Kind regards,

Dimitry

I would also like to know where this shop is! I may be headed up to Montreal soon, by train, and would love to pick up some paper to take back with me.

Hmmm! I never thought of that. Perhaps that is the reason for the price hike.

Cheers

Leo

I've lately been only working with Japanese paper (Maruman Mnemosyne, Campus MIO) because I've found it much better than the Rhodia and Clairefontaine I used to use and love.

I bought one of the original stock of Leuchtturm from Goulet, and it had the low quality paper. The Leuchtturm I had bought in Innsbruck last summer was the same quality. I've gotten rid of both, because the paper wasn't as good as the Japanese stuff and Rhodia I have. If the paper quality has gotten better, then it may be worth another try!

Pelikan M1000 (Green Stripe), Pelikan M205 EF (White), Sheaffer Valor (M), Sailor Sapporo (Clear), TWSBI 580 EF, 1948 Parker 51 Vac F, Early 1950s Esterbrook J F, Jinhao x750 M, Eyedropper Ahab

• 2 weeks later...

There has been some speculation that the paper of the Master notebooks has changed, e.g.:

Leuchtturm is still my personal favorite. I do think the paper has changed over the last year/year and a half. I use a wet writing Olympio with Registrar's ink almost daily and hardly ever see any show-through. For me, it works beautifully. Especially in combination with all the things already mentioned.

[...]
If they upgrade to a better quality paper in the future, then I'll definitely try one out again.

I believe that [upgraded the paper] is exactly what they have done. My new copy of the Master 1917 definitely has better quality paper...less show through and no bleed through or feathery. [...]

I asked Leuchtturm about it, and they confirmed that they are continually updating the paper. So my recommendation is to try again :) I have six of the Master notebooks now - count me a happy customer. [Aside: note that the other notebooks have thinner paper: 80 gsm vs 100 gsm in the Master.]

Leuchtturm said in part:

Since we are always trying to improve our products we are very thankful for every information we receive from our costumers regarding the experience with our notebooks. It is not easy to find the right balance between a paper that is pH neutral and still has the right features. Therefore we are continually improving on our paper. On the one hand the ink is not supposed to soak into the page too deeply because otherwise it will bleed through the pages. And on the other hand it needs to soak in enough, otherwise the text will be smeared. This depends on every single pen.

Hope this helps.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Thanks for posting that exchange!

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

I would also like to know where this shop is! I may be headed up to Montreal soon, by train, and would love to pick up some paper to take back with me.

The shop is called Nota Bene and is located on Parc street about 50 meters north of the Parc/Sherbrooke intersection, right across the street from the Provigo. They have a lot of nice paper, including a wide selection of Rhodia pads.

I don't know if they would have something like APICA notebooks but they do have Leuchtturms.

Kind regards,

Dimitry

Edited by Dimitry V.

The shop is called Nota Bene and is located on Parc street about 50 meters north of the Parc/Sherbrooke intersection, right across the street from the Provigo. They have a lot of nice paper, including a wide selection of Rhodia pads.

I don't know if they would have something like APICA notebooks but they do have Leuchtturms.

Kind regards,

Dimitry

Salut Dimitry

Thanks for getting back to us on that mon ami.Much obliged! I have heard of this store before but one cannot order online. I may have to e-mail an order to them.

Cordialement

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

Based on your nice review and photos, I just bought a couple to try. Thank-you!

You are welcome! Now I hope you like the note-book!!! :yikes: LOL!

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell