Why I Switched To Leuchtturm Master 1917 Notebook

leomitch

My new Leuchtturm 1917 Master Notebook arrived yesterday and it doesn't disappoint. I'm very pleased with it, I can very much see this being my preferred notebook going forwards. The table of contents at the beginning of each book, combined with the quality of the paper makes this notebook a winner for me.

I am happy you are pleased Kate! No doubts it will be your master note-book. ;-)

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leomitch

• plc123

• Kate10

• NativeTxn

I've been using one as my current journal; I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I tend to rotate through my pen collection for each entry, and I find that drier pens and finer nibs are fine on it. I love the leather smell, the numbered pages, the dots, the folder at the back, the ribbon and the elastic that holds it shut. But with a broader italic nib showthrough is pretty bad, if tolerable.

Unfortunately, my absolute favourite pen/ink combination (a very wet, medium-flexy Waterman 52 1/2 V and Fuyu Syogun) really, really hates the paper. There's feathering - which I never get with the same combo on Rhodia paper - and bleedthrough that's so bad that I can't write on the opposite page. Not the end of the world; I just avoid using that combination for journaling, but it's a shame because it deprives me of being able to use my favourites. Fine to medium nib fans should be fine.

I'm a lurker here, but the Goulets' generosity has forced me to post.

I ordered a Lechtturm for myself based on above review last week, except someone stole the package because I live in crummy neighborhood. I ordered myself another one this week, and vented my frustrations out in the "additional comments" section of the order. Today I received my notebook, and lo and behold, THREE FREE INK SAMPLES to assuage my frustrations! Three! One of them being Black Swan in Aus. Roses!

Best customer service ever. Now I'm going back to lurking.

ETA: Not a representative of Goulet, just a very satisfied customer, etc.

Edited by nitroberry

Last year I bought a Leuchtturm1917 Journal with some reservation because of the reported bleed through. Now I've been using the journal for some weeks and can say that the bleedthrough is a minor issue, at least with the kind of pens I normally use with that journal. In any event, the pleasure to write on that paper more than compensate the fairly light eco effect, which to my view is also a any minor issue. One very positive characteristic of this journal is that it lies flat when open, so it's very comfortable to write on it. Finally, the numbered pages come very handy as I use the journal for work and that makes it easier to find my notes by subject.

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

I received my second Leuchtturm Master Notebook yesterday and if I am not mistaken, the paper quality is up a notch. It seems to me that the shadowing on the other side of a written page is less pronounced that my first one which I got nearly a year ago...but I will wait and experiment a bit more before I can say that is true.

Whatever, it is still my choice of journal and no regrets.

Cheers

Leo

Edited by leomitch

Leo James Mitchell

I`m in the UK and I cant even consider Lechtuurm, Moleskine or Rhodia because Clairfontain is alot cheaper than them all here. A 144 sheet oversized A5+ clairfontain notebook is 5.90. Rhodia webie 96 sheets A5 11.50. Leuchtturm1917 A5 124 sheets 11.50. Moleskine A5 120 sheets 11.95.

As you can see the clairfontaine is larger, has more sheets and is half the price ( although it is softback ), the price difference is still not justifiable at all.

Great paper. Great review.

Best is the catbeast overseeing the project.

I totally agree :)

I received my second Leuchtturm Master Notebook yesterday and if I am not mistaken, the paper quality is up a notch. It seems to me that the shadowing on the other side of a written page is less pronounced that my first one which I got nearly a year ago...but I will wait and experiment a bit more before I can say that is true.

Whatever, it is still my choice of journal and no regrets.

Cheers

Leo

Thanks to your review I now have a favourite notebook - I've ordered 5 A4 Master notebooks in different colours... Very pleased with them.

I am so glad you liked the review and found it useful too. Stella my cat says," Much obliged for the kind words...aren't I so pretty!"

She is very vain Kate. I will just add here, that I am now sure that the new Master 1917 notebooks have had an upgrade in paper. There is definitely less shadowing/showthrough on the backs of written pages. When I get a chance I will take some photos of the effects that various pens and inks have on the new upgraded paper. Lechtturm rocks!

the very best to you Kate

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

It might be just me, but I actually like some show through..Somehow it adds more character to a blank page as I'm writing.

+1

Thank you to the OP for the review. A good insight into the product.

A little showthrough is nice for me. I don't want so much that it impairs what I'm writing, but a little shadowing of the words on the previous page - as seen on the OP's review pictures - looks nice to me. Gives the pages some visual 'texture'.

+1

Thank you to the OP for the review. A good insight into the product.

A little showthrough is nice for me. I don't want so much that it impairs what I'm writing, but a little shadowing of the words on the previous page - as seen on the OP's review pictures - looks nice to me. Gives the pages some visual 'texture'.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the review. 'Visual texture' are the very words I should have used to describe what I like about a little showthrough. Thanks for the words mate!

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

The new price for the Master 1917 note-book is $32.95. That is unfortunate, but I am more concerned about their shipping charges to Canada. Last time I ordered a new Master 1917 notebook and a Noodler Ahab pen for a total of $48.00 and the shipping charge to Canada was $32.78 for a standard International package that took a week and a half to get here. To me that sounds inflated. I recently had a $270.00 pen shipped from Japan and it arrived within 5 days and the charge was $13.00. So far they are my only source for the Leuctturm notebook, so I will order from there, but I will find another source for my other stuff, even though I regret that, because their service and products are otherwise great. Am I wrong to think that the shipping cost in this case is an overcharge? I would appreciate any opinions.

Leo

Edited by leomitch

Leo James Mitchell

I used Moleskine for years and have now gone to Leuchtturm 1917. Quality to price is stupendous.

I went ahead and ordered 5 of the large size the day before the price increase. Between those and a few Picadilly's I have, I should be set for a while.