Twenty Blue-Blacks

Daisy

Thanks for doing this Daisy. Reinforces my decision to pick up some some samples of the Diamine BB R2, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and the Sheaffer BB. To go along with my Pelikan 4001 BB. (I have some en route)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daisy

• The Good Captain

• amberleadavis

• SUNIL GARG

Runnin Ute, those four are my exact favorites of all of them. Obviously, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :thumbup:

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Now that I've been using the Pelikan BB for a while, I really do like the colour. But my God is it dry. It's so dry I could use it to mop up other inks. It seized up in my Safari B, and even makes my firehose of a Philéas skip. I might try the drop of dish soap or Photo-Flo, which I still have in my box of darkroom gear.

I need to get samples of more of these inks that Daisy so kindly sampled. The Diamine looks interesting.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Just so you know, the Sheaffer is pretty dry too -- dryer (for me) than the Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black -- but nothing that a tiny drop of dish soap didn't fix, and even before that it wasn't *exceptionally* dry.

Maybe you got a bum bottle of Pelikan BB?

I don't find Pel 4001 BB all that dry, though I do have it in a rather wet writer (Lamy Safari M) and probably would not notice too much, though the nib does seem to have a somewhat draggy feeling which until now I attributed to the paper. If I'm wrong and it's the ink, it could do with a bit more glide, that's for sure.

Wastelanded, if you do try Photo-Flo in it, would you mind reporting back how much you used and the results? I actually have some but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks! :D

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

This is awesome! Thank you so much for doing this, very helpful. :notworthy1:

[*]The "stickiest" of all the inks, the one that had to be aggressively wiped off the glass pen even after several dunks, was Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. I've never used it in a pen, so I don't know how it would fare there, and it felt fine writing with it -- it was just sticky somehow and clung to the glass nib like it was scared to say goodbye.

This description reminds me of Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet, which is another awesome dark blue ink. I love everything about it, but yeah, really sticky. If you don't wipe off the nib well after inking, it looks like the whole nib is blue. I don't know if that counts as "nib creep" -- fortunately, I'm not as bothered about that as some folks are. No writing performance issues at all, otherwise.

Thanks, Indigirl!

Yeah, I've heard lovely things about Texas Bluebonnet -- that's a Dromgoole's exclusive, isn't it? -- but sorry to hear it's sticky like that. I was using a glass pen, and the degree to which the Bad Blue Heron hung on was just amazing. It took multiple dunks and many swipes across a damp paper towel to get it off.

But in the end I'm in your camp: if it writes well and I *can* get it out of a pen when I need to, I don't much care. Nib creep doesn't bother me a bit. I'm after the purty. :D

Glad you liked my review!

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/daisy-be-true/File023.jpg

That does seem to have some nice shading. But I'm thinking that it's a little on the teal side for me (although not as much as I've seen elsewhere -- I'm wondering if it's because of the paper color). And of course I don't have any nibs wider than medium. At some point I will try a sample of it, though.

Bought a couple of blue-black inks today (Diamine Denim, which I had liked even though it *doesn't* shade at all), and Noodler's Manhattan Blue. I'm thinking that if the latter is bluer than what I really want, I may try playing around with mixing, and add a drop or two of some black ink, just to see what happens. And I may try diluting the Denim (not much -- I still want to keep that hue!) to see if I can get shading that way. And this was after trying a bunch of other inks that weren't what I want for one reason or another (mostly they weren't the "right" -- as in matching the unknown vintage ink -- color).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

Terrific review! Thanks for compiling this list and sharing your thoughts. I see a few I'll have to try some time. :)

I too really enjoy these types of reviews. The side-by-side comparison is the absolute best for me because I have trouble trying to remember the color of most inks.

Thanks a bunch Daisy!

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Daisy! I find comparisons to be helpful...and enjoyable too. If you ever have an itch to do more comparisons, go for it!

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

What I have here, and like very much, is the Waterman Blue-Black. I wish I could see it alongside some of these others, so I could compare them and find the one that is closest to it.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

Thanks y'all! I'm so glad you find it helpful!

2GreyCats, I sent a pm -- I may have a solution. :D

• 3 months later...

Wow. Thanks for this excellent post. Very helpful stuff.

I have two bottles of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black that I bought on Amazon.uk when they stopped selling them in the U.S., but I've been thinking about another everyday Blue-Black to use in other pens so that I can stretch out my Pelikan ink as long as possible. That Diamine Eclipse is a really nice grey-blue-black, and the 54th Massachusetts from Noodler's looks great as well.

Thank you for the reply Daisy!

Also, the new Texas Blue Bonnet is no longer a Dromgoole's exclusive and comes in the larger bottle.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I had the chance to get a nice sample of the Sailor Jentle Blue-Black at a local Pen Posse meeting, and that is now my far-and-away favorite of Blue-Blacks. Very nice indeed, and not greenish at all.

Edited by 2GreyCats

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

I had the chance to get a nice sample of the Sailor Jentle Blue-Black at a local Pen Posse meeting, and that is now my far-and-away favorite of Blue-Blacks.

Yes. Sailor inks are rapidly becoming favorites. Grenade is now my all time fave red. I didn't like epinard until I used it as a wash in a leaf in a rose pen/ink drawing. It was perfect.

nulla dies sine linea

I had the chance to get a nice sample of the Sailor Jentle Blue-Black at a local Pen Posse meeting, and that is now my far-and-away favorite of Blue-Blacks. Very nice indeed, and not greenish at all.

Thusly... my own favourite blue-black hitherto pertaining ... For me personally, zero red or purple (although I still love the heck out of Eclipse). I also like the smell because I know that that is/contains/includes phenol and/or related compounds, which do in fact substantiate nicely our maintenance thereof.

Whew

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...

Mont Blanc Midninght Blue is like nothing else-Great Ink.

But I find myself using Sailor Yama Dori when it comes to a

Blue Black that's more bluish than black. Leave it in a pen

unused for 2/3 weeks & then use it-might as well get that

beautiful sheen.

Iroshi Tsuki-Yo is closest to Yama Dori but without any

possibility of a sheen.