Lamy nibs, steel or black

jofpn1236

Since I bought my Studio, I got a replacement steel nib from the store I bought it from. It's the same problem. It's been a month and inspite of using it almost daily, it's still very dry. It will write if I put pressure on paper, but otherwise it almost leaves very little ink on paper.

I switched a black Safari nib to the Studio and it's a pleasure to write with. So, I know it's not the feed.

Before I purchase 2 nibs: 1 steel and 1 black (my old one went bad), I want to ask you guys if there is a difference between the 2?

Are the steel ones drier than the black ones?

Thanks.

---Joe

Edited by jofpn1236

P51 demi, P51 full size, P reflex, Pilot VP blk carbon, M200 gray, M200 blk, 2 Pelikanos, 3 Lam Safaris, 1 Lam Studio SS.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jofpn1236

• *david*

• JRodriguez

• J-san

I have an Al-Star and Studio, both with extra-fine nibs. They both seem to be about the same wetness for me. I'm using Noodler's Black in both pens and they are both on their original nibs. Perhaps it may have something to do with the ink?

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

I think what that means is I've got a bad steel nib. I also use Noodler's black on both. I think I might just buy one from swisherpens. Thanks.

P51 demi, P51 full size, P reflex, Pilot VP blk carbon, M200 gray, M200 blk, 2 Pelikanos, 3 Lam Safaris, 1 Lam Studio SS.

The store where I bought my Safari's said they have generally had better luck with the shiny ones than with the black ones. I think you have just been the victim of a bad coincidence.

If you're feeling that the replacement nib still isn't up to snuff, I would recommend that you get that one replaced as well. I'm glad you've got at least one at this point that you're liking. Good luck with everything.

My Safari originally came with a shiny F nib, which I found to be pretty dry, but not too scratchy (as compared to my 2000).

I replaced it with a 1.1mm italic nib, which is scratchy, of course, but delightfully wet.

Learning to use an italic nib for every day use really gets you used to holding the pen consistently!

The Lamy Safari Al-Star I bought about 5 years ago came with a black steel nib and I have never had an issue. It was a little "toothy" at first but either I'm used to it or I broke it in. I use only the Lamy ink with the pen. The only time mine is dry is when I leave the cap posted but don't use the pen for say 15-20 minutes. Then it's dry for say the first letter of a word.

Edited by EventHorizon

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

At the moment, my Studio is armed with the black nib and it's really working well. Since I really have a few Lamy, I might sit on it for a while, but the shiny metal needs to be replaced.

Somehow my black nib in Fine became really scratchy, so that might need to be replaced as well.

I figure $11 x 2 from swisherpens.com is not too bad.

Here's my inventory of Lamy:

yellow Safari with Medium shiny nib (bad)

Studio with Med black nib (good)

Al-Star with black nib Fine: (bad)

Al-star green with black nib. (good)

Wish list:

I really wanted an Accent, but it's a screw cap, I think. Makes it slower to use at work. :)

• 11 years later...

Since I bought my Studio, I got a replacement steel nib from the store I bought it from. It's the same problem. It's been a month and inspite of using it almost daily, it's still very dry. It will write if I put pressure on paper, but otherwise it almost leaves very little ink on paper.

I switched a black Safari nib to the Studio and it's a pleasure to write with. So, I know it's not the feed.

Before I purchase 2 nibs: 1 steel and 1 black (my old one went bad), I want to ask you guys if there is a difference between the 2?

Are the steel ones drier than the black ones?

Thanks.

---Joe

Sometimes, when I used for the first times a new nib, I started writing over glass, just a little to mak it more affortable and soft.

I have a large bunch of both types, but more black, as I prefer a more stealth nib look. In my experience, there's no difference in performance between them: all the variations are from individual nib variation.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 2 weeks later...

Ive noticed this as well. I had an Al Star in black, and the nib was super dry. However, when I popped-on a 14K nib, it was perfect. Looking at the black nib, the slit is very tight. You can barely see light through it when you hold hit to the light. Both the SS and gold bibs I have that perform better have a wider, v-shaped slit that is easy to see through at the breather hole and narrows all the way to the tip.