Pens in the pocket today

Keith with a capital K

Today I am carrying my new Parker 51 with unidentified rose wine-colored ink (came in the pen :o ), Pelikan M400 White Tortoise with Kiowa Pecan, and Sheaffer transparent school pen with Sheaffer green cart (for marking orders).

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keith with a capital K

• KCat

• KendallJ

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I am writing Christmas cards today, so I have inked & ready to go:

--my maroon Namiki VP with Visconti (Ruby Red) Burgundy ink

--my yellow Levenger 'True Writer' with Parker Quink Blue-Black

--my Stypen 'X' with Parker Green ink

I was thinking that since I was going out to a Christmas party that I would take something appropriate...

I think that my Special Edition Sheaffer Snow Pen will fit the bill nicely and the ink will of course, have to be Waterman green.

The copper Esterbrook J will of course be riding shotgun.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

CGB is an Italian company that makes pens for corporate purchases. Giovanni was working out a purchase with them when the part of the plant that made the FPs burned down. When they rebuilt, no FPs, just RB and BPs. :( So actually finding them in the US is probably next to impossible. Similar parts/designs are used by Genoso pens which are carried by Penspiration or Pensations. There's a review I did of the CGB on the PT main page. Was so disappointed when they didn't make it here as I would probably be referring folks to those as stocking stuffers before most other "cheapies"

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Pens most in use at the moment:

Shaeffer Snorkel desk pen, Shaeffer Triumph 1000 vac filler in my favourite carmine striated colour, black/gold Hero 329 and a black Tuckaway because it fits in the outside sleeve pocket of my winter jacket.

Ther are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't

Pens most in use at the moment:

Shaeffer Snorkel desk pen, Shaeffer Triumph 1000 vac filler in my favourite carmine striated colour, black/gold Hero 329 and a black Tuckaway because it fits in the outside sleeve pocket of my winter jacket.

John,

my Old English is a little rusty but does your signature say:

Mind shall be harder

heart the keener

spirit the greater

as our strength lessens."

Kurt H

Also still have the Newton in my pocket. Christmas party and the cap ruby counterpoints my green shirt.

Edited by Tytyvyllus

A personal remark of some generality (maybe somewhat late):

You may remember, I am an ardent pen user, because pens are so wonderful writing tools. In other words - uninked pens are no pens at all.

There is just one problem which I don't know how to manage. Sitting in my office I would like to write with a decent pen, however, my office is a horrible place for anything valuable. Which pen should I use?

My beloved Montblanc from my schooldays? Too many memories.

My Pelikan (the one my brother gave me as a present)? No, to lose it would be .. I don't know what.

The little Kaweco Sport? It could most easily vanish in a wastebasket, and you would never find it again. Therefore it remains in my pocket.

The Pilot VP? Too new. I like to carry it with me, but would never leave it in the office.

Finally my Montblanc Noblesse. Not extremely valuable (in spite of some memories), but impractical because of the ink consumption of its OB nib (and the small converter).

At the moment I am thinking about a Pelikan Steno (flexible steel nib, of course F or EF, moderate ink consumption). Value about 15 Euro (approx 20US$??), therefore no risk, since it is still in production. Steel nib? Huh. Got to check it. At least I can leave it in the drawer, even overnight. Universities are jungle-like environments.

Do you have similar problems? No problems at all? Eventually solutions?

Extremely curious,

Hans-Peter

hpp -

I am very fortunate to work in an office where the chosen writing tool of most is the fountain pen. On a given day there are probably 15-20 fountain pens being carried byb the staff although I admit half of those are usually my own.

Everyone knows the simple rule that you do not borrow another person's pen (without asking) and I can leave any pen or pens on my desk without worry that it will vanish.

I still carry my pens to and from work and rarely leave them there.

Perhaps a little desk sized locking box would be a suitable place to keep your pens if you really want to leave them at the office without the worry of having them go missing?

Keith with that capital K,

you are blessed with a wonderful situation.

Everyone knows the simple rule that you do not borrow another person's pen (without asking) and I can leave any pen or pens on my desk without worry that it will vanish.

In my office and its sorroundings there is nobody who would like to use a pen (most of my colleagues are keyboard-bound/addicted, some eventually use felt tips, some ball points - that's all). Roughly estimated: 2 of 100 colleagues in our university use a pen. Therefore the rule of not borrowing is of lesser importance.

To complicate the whole thing, my office is mostly open. Everybody - especially students - should have free access, to ask more or less silly questions, which prove to be clever, to get some sort of psychological care etc. The door is always opened wide!

Of course, if nobody was interested in pens, I could leave them anywhere. Yet, too risky, anyway (not because of the students).

And in my typical way of writing I have exaggerated the situation slightly to make things look clearer.

IMHO, the drawer would most probably be the appropriate location for some of my pens.

I still carry my pens to and from work and rarely leave them there.

It's a matter of fact that I do not like carrying pens from one place to another. I like to find my tools in habitual places.

Thanks for your immediate and interesting answer, greetings,

Hans-Peter

Well, I'm in Stanford, CT on business this week (training w/new company) and I brought 2 FP's with me.

Parker 51 (dark blue) and Inkograph (black-red-gray). Both good note taking pens.

Both loaded w/ PR Lake Placid Blue.

Optimists are always disapointed when things don't work out. Pesimists never are since they expected it. That's why pesimists are happier.

I was thinking that things have come full circle as today I used the first fountain pen I purchased some 20 plus years ago through the entire day.

I fitted a fine italic nib in this lovely little stainless pen and filled it with Waterman blue black. The pen has an added grip that encircles the barrel as I do find stainless pens to be a little slick and the Vector is also a thinner pen.

Since the nib was pretty crisp I smoothed it just a little since I was using it for cursive writing and not formal calligraphy. (It still works really well for formal lettering too.)

It's a dreamy little writer.

(I keep pen tools at my office just in case I feel the need to tweak or adjust nibs.)

Stanford, California ?

Nope, Stamford, Connecticut. California is CA.

Current temperature: 21F, Wind Chill: 9F Burrr! :(

Optimists are always disapointed when things don't work out. Pesimists never are since they expected it. That's why pesimists are happier.

Since it's "Anything Covered in Chocolate Day" I think I will slip a chocolate coloured pen in my pocket...

I'm thinking the Presentation Brown Skyline filled with Noodlers Eternal Brown should be appropriate.

It's had a week off and in checking it, it started up quite nicely and only needed a little stroke to prime it. This is surely due to the E Brown as it has never behaved like this when it was dining on Havana brown or Pelikan Brown which are both lighter inks.

Of course, neither the Waterman or Pelikan brown is as bulletproff as the Noodlers.

I acquired one of the cross Verve FP in the selenium finish in fine. I have been carrying that around with a cross black cart in it to write Christmas cards, etc. I try to use a standard cart (not from the package) when trying out a pen instead of the converter or a cartridge that came with the pen, so that if I find I hate writing with it, it becomes less of a problem to return it. Oddly, I have never had to return a pen because I didn't like it, but if i get stuck with a cart later, I can always look in box for one. Anyway, I love the line it makes, it always starts right away, doesn't leak into the cap, and it writes smoothly with just a little tactile feedback (scratch) to help you find your way. My other traveling companion is a Pilot Capless (Namiki VP) in the Mandarin Yellow which I love. The only problem with the VP is that my wife always points out how much she likes in the way that means: "if you put it down and look away for a minute, I could find a good home for it, " so I try not to use it too much around her, as it might migrate over to her collection!

KJ

Edited by kjervin

Aunty Entity: Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome, and death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.

I just received two new pens from Pam Braun today. One is an Aurora Optima Burgundy Ice, the other a Pelikan Shanghai, both with M nibs. I took both out for a road test and found that I like the feel of the Optima a bit better . . . it seems more solid, but the Shanghai is a stunner in the looks department. Loaded with Yard-o-Led Blue, the Optima will be twixt my thumb and digits for the rest of the week.

This is an expensive hobby, isn't it?

Sheldon L. Tarakan

Long Island, New York

Edited by slt

"When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen." -- Samuel Lover (1797-1868)

I am a big fan of the Optima... I liken it to a Pelikan on steroids.

This might be one of the few modern pens I might actually look at buying somewhere down the road as I have got to road test quite a few here in the shop (just nib work, no repairs) and found them to be an incredibly nice pen to put betwixt the digits.

The nib choices for the Optima are also pretty amazing.

Hi everybody, some news!

Finally, my Pelikan Steno has arrived. Steel nib, something between F and EF, NOT flexible (as expected and been told by the seller and even by Pelikan), even a bit scratchy - but it works fine for me. Inkflow is immediate in any situation and steady. The Steno can be loaded with Pelikan cartridges, standard or magnum. I have changed over to converter, as I mostly do.

It is really funny. Even with such inexpensive a tool my writing is by far more readable then done with the finest ballpoint. IMO, the Steno is a nice replacement for a ballpoint in the everday office use. It does not spoil your hand! I have just written three a4 size pages (cheapo notepad, but Waterman blue-black) of an outline for a report ...

So, happy writing, and may always be ink with you,

Hans-Peter

ps: BTW, my old pens (Montblanc from the fifties, MB Noblesse from the seventies) and my nearly recent Pelikan M200 (?) have at least semiflex nibs. I was never conscious about that ... although in those bad old schooldays we used to flex the nibs to the max, just for fun, as I now remember.

Tytyvullus,

Your translation is most accurate. It's from "The Battle of Maldon".

John

Today's pens

Carmine 1000 Vac - Quink Blue/Black

Parker 17 with a big fat nib - PR Copper Burst

Hero 332 - PR Burgundy

Ther are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't

I decided on taking a few of my favourite modified Sheaffer NO Nonsense pens with me today... I'm going pretty low rent.

My favourite ed filler got dressed up for the holidays as I changed the cap and barrel to a green marble and gold trimmed version and the other is a NN blow filler that is filled with Noodlers Eternal Brown. The respective nibs are a fine-med CI and med factory italic.

The green pen is of course filled with Waterman green.

Cheers!