Info On Disassembly

chiaroscuro

I found several sites with info on how to disassemble Pelikans but most of it is all over the place. I remember having come across a video showing how to take them apart entirely, but I can't seem to find it now.

Does anyone know of some good resources on this subject?

I'm specifically looking for instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble a 1980s m100, but if you know of a site with good info on other models, please post the links anyway. Video tutorials would be especially helpful. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• chiaroscuro

• Sasha Royale

• *MariO*

I always had the idea all models below M800 are glued so not really good for disassembly. Models M800 and M1000 can be disassembled with a special tool. Unscrew the piston knob and u see were to place it. I checked with my M100 and M200 and both don't have that.

Would like to know trough how to dis mantel a M800 demo to clean the ink underneath the threat. So will keep an eye to this topic.

Pelikan nut

I always had the idea all models below M800 are glued so not really good for disassembly. Models M800 and M1000 can be disassembled with a special tool. Unscrew the piston knob and u see were to place it. I checked with my M100 and M200 and both don't have that.

Would like to know trough how to dis mantel a M800 demo to clean the ink underneath the threat. So will keep an eye to this topic.

Where can I get a wrench to unscrew the piston out of an M1xxx?

You can make yourself one with an old plastic card that you can cut of proper size. If I remember correctly the wrench of the TWSBI works too.

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

the 'wrench' size is 7mm and needs to be thin so as to fit under the turning knob. please remember that these are left hand threads (righty-loosey, lefty-tighty). no heat needed to unscrew the piston units on these pens, only the wrench.

Chris

Custom Bindes

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have to ask: why on earth do you *want* to disassemble these pens? do they need repair? do you take apart the engine of your car when you change oil?

I agree...if it works leave it be.

There is JB's Perfect Pen Flush, if really needed.

Is it Twsbi or Ahab's fault everyone wants to take working pens apart. :unsure:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You can make yourself one with an old plastic card that you can cut of proper size. If I remember correctly the wrench of the TWSBI works too.

I can confirm TWBI's wrench works perfectly for M800/M1000.

M600 and smaller should have snap-in (single use) units, I would not touch it if you don't have a very good reason and a spare.

Better a couple fills of Eel ink...

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

A rice grain sized dab of 100% pure silicon grease around the barrel just under a up-drawn piston, solves most Pelikan piston problems...should do that every 10-15 years if you are into cleaning.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If I am not mistaken there was a woman in here who disassembled an m200 and posted pics and sketched drawings on how she did that.

I don't suggest you do it unless you are 100 % you are capable of doing it (if your precious pen needs service it's better to contact a pro.) The only service I recommend to do yourself is adding a tad of pure silicon . . But Keep in mind that I have my daily pen (old m200 that never needed this and is already on the 14th bottle of noodlers heart of darkness ink)

Only the 800's and the 1000's can be unscrewed using the 7mm wrinch (you have to turn the wrinch clockwise to unscrew)

Conclusion : if your pen is not broken, don't try to fix it. Just enjoy it :)

Sorry for my bad english!!

OK, I have to ask: why on earth do you *want* to disassemble these pens? do they need repair? do you take apart the engine of your car when you change oil?

I agree...if it works leave it be.

There is JB's Perfect Pen Flush, if really needed.

Is it Twsbi or Ahab's fault everyone wants to take working pens apart. :unsure:

You're both bang on. I got a TWSBI Mini classic (it has a demonstrator barrel) as my first piston-filled pen and then a Pelikan m100 and I just assumed that was the thing to do. The Pelikan has a slightly misaligned nib and I planned to re-seat it and decided that, if I was going to take the assembly apart, I might as well learn how to take the whole pen apart and clean it out thoroughly. Obviously, none of that happened (the nib assembly seems to be welded together). Having read about the glue and other hurdles, I "challenged my assumptions" and decided against it. I'm on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" team now.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. If I do need to do it at some point, it's good to know at least what it will entail.

I admire all of you, who are willing to do this.

In my dresser drawer, I have silk-cloth pouch. I houses almost all the parts

of an unused wrist watch, that I received for my 12th birthday. A stark

reminder that Sasha shouldn't take things apart.

Happy New Year !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !