Chinese Pen Reviews: Jinhao 3000

paultyler_82

I've been a busy bee today... here is the last of my four reviews; the biggest of the lot.

The Jinhao 3000

Price: $16.49

This thing is most certainly metal. Yet another C/C pen of course with clutch type cap and fancy overlay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/Wyld404/Pen/IMAG0383.jpg

Comfort - 5/10

This pen is broad and gets points in that department but it is a very thick piece of metal and as such is quite heavy. This is a pen that will start to wear my hand out after much writing, it's heft is just too much for comfort.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/Wyld404/Pen/IMAG0384.jpg

Nib - 10/10

Beautiful duo-tone gold-plate nib that writes as well as it looks. The pen absolutely glides and lays down a consistent, wet line. Seller states these are medium nibs but they lay a broader line than the supposedly medium Jinhao 163. It's really a shame, I love this nib but the pen's weight lessens the whole experience.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/Wyld404/Pen/IMAG0385.jpg

Fit and Finish - 10/10

This pen is a tank, period. I don't think I could break it and it is extremely sturdy and well put together, all silver trim, the clips, cap band, and finials are integrated into the overlay design and are struck through with three black enamel bands. The overlay is very flashy and is, admittedly, quite over the top but I like the oriental design of it.

Summary - Not for Everyone

I bought one... I wouldn't buy another but I'd probably get this one if I had it to do over. I've got one and it will probably see occasional letter-writing and be a display queen. This isn't to dissuade anyone, I think anyone who likes it should get one but probably just one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/Wyld404/Pen/IMAG0382.jpg

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• paultyler_82

• Uncle Red

Thank you for the review of this pen.

It is interesting, but because it's not a common pen (yet), while subjective feelings like 'Wide' and 'Heavy' are good, but do you have actual numbers for the length (capped, uncapped & posted), weight and diameters for the pen so that other people who may not have the same subjective judgements can make their own assessment?

I have been interested in this pen for a while - to the extent of keeping one on my E-Bay watch list for 4 months to remind me - but I still don't know how long & what diameter it is. I have a suspicion, from what you say, that it may be almost as big as a J159, which is too big for me.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

Thanks for the review. I like how these pens look too and I like broad nibs. BTW, how do you like the Banana leaf paper?

Thanks for the review. I like how these pens look too and I like broad nibs. BTW, how do you like the Banana leaf paper?

Love this paper very much, the only trick is that it is a very 'thirsty' paper. Ink dries quick but I find I have to write quickly or it will 'drink' ink out of a pen if you catch my drift.

Thank you for the review of this pen.

It is interesting, but because it's not a common pen (yet), while subjective feelings like 'Wide' and 'Heavy' are good, but do you have actual numbers for the length (capped, uncapped & posted), weight and diameters for the pen so that other people who may not have the same subjective judgements can make their own assessment?

Good point, been busy but when I get a chance I'll do a technical followup review of the four combined with dimensions and weight... what I can tell you is that the grip diameter is similar to a TWSBI 540, the pen over all is probably a bit longer capped and unposted and quite a bit longer posted... this is a guess though and I haven't used the two side by side or one after the other yet. It most certainly seems much heavier than the TWSBI though.

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

paultyler_82 gives the dimensions for this pen in another thread as:

Jinhao 3000 (The Beast)

Length - Capped 5.625" (143mm)

Uncapped 4.875" (124mm)

Posted 6.25" (159mm)

Diameter - Grip .56" (14mm) - Barrel .64" (16.25mm)

Weight - 48 g.

I have added the metric equivalent lengths/diameters.

Amazing size pen for the money, and thanks Paul for the sizes.

Regards,

Richard.