FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Chinese Pen Reviews: Jinhao 163
Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:09
The Jinhao 163
Another metal construction cartridge/converter pen. This one has a white enameled machine-patterned body with a smooth clear finish, silver finials, cap band and a black, domed cap jewel on the cap finial.
Comfort - 10/10
Not too slim but not super broad, this pen has a very comfortable grip and doesn't slip. I could definitely use this one daily. Posting isn't secure but it is long enough to not require posting in my hand.
Nib - 9/10
Like the Crocodile, not perfect but very smooth and not scratchy. This one lays down a broader line than the two hooded pens and a very wet one that may not dry quickly on smooth/coated papers; I'd say about a Medium nib.
Fit and Finish - 9/10
Very beautiful finish and well put together... I have no complaints about this pen that I could possibly address in this section. Probably a bit heavier than some pens of it's size, it isn't heavy enough to wear you out and the heft is actually welcome to me.
Summary - BUY!
I will probably get a few more of this one at some point
Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:11
Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:04
Recently I have purchased this one. M nib writes smooth and wet. Grip is comfortable.Overall good and sleek pen. I wish I had purchased F nib instated of M nib. Anyone have idea of replacement of M nib with F nib? Is it better to replace whole nib set of just nib?
Posted 24 August 2016 - 21:16
I know this is a bit late, but most of the Chinese pens (at least the cheaper ones) only come with one size of nibs, which are almost always (European) medium. The ones with the hooded nibs tend to come with fine nibs, I've found, and the Baoer 188s' nibs are more fine than medium. As for replacement nibs, I've replaced my 163's nib with a fine one from Fountain Pen Revolution. You can replace the nib (#5, if I remember correctly) fairly easily. The nib and feed are friction fitted, and can be pulled out and shoved back in pretty easily. You just have to be careful not to bend the nib tips when you do it.