The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Chinese Pen Reviews: Jinhao 163

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 paultyler_82

paultyler_82

Mimsy Borogrove

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:09

Review three of four in my continuing series of my latest order.

The Jinhao 163

Price: $11.98

Another metal construction cartridge/converter pen. This one has a white enameled machine-patterned body with a smooth clear finish, silver finials, cap band and a black, domed cap jewel on the cap finial.

Posted Image

Comfort - 10/10

Not too slim but not super broad, this pen has a very comfortable grip and doesn't slip. I could definitely use this one daily. Posting isn't secure but it is long enough to not require posting in my hand.

Posted Image

Nib - 9/10

Like the Crocodile, not perfect but very smooth and not scratchy. This one lays down a broader line than the two hooded pens and a very wet one that may not dry quickly on smooth/coated papers; I'd say about a Medium nib.

Posted Image

Fit and Finish - 9/10

Very beautiful finish and well put together... I have no complaints about this pen that I could possibly address in this section. Probably a bit heavier than some pens of it's size, it isn't heavy enough to wear you out and the heft is actually welcome to me.

Summary - BUY!
I will probably get a few more of this one at some point
Posted Image
<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:11

very classy pen! see ya... i'm on my way to see all your reviews!

#3 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:34

Thanks for the review. It's a pen I'd not seen before and will seek out.

Regards,

Richard.

#4 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 14:43

Dimensions from paultyler_82 in another thread:
http://www.fountainp...specifications/

Regards,

Richard

#5 ss_yeri

ss_yeri

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:04

Recently I have purchased this one. M nib writes smooth and wet. Grip is comfortable.Overall good and sleek pen. I wish I had purchased F nib instated of M nib. Anyone have idea of replacement of M nib with F nib? Is it better to replace whole nib set of just nib?

Thanks

#6 Magua

Magua

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 21:16

I know this is a bit late, but most of the Chinese pens (at least the cheaper ones) only come with one size of nibs, which are almost always (European) medium. The ones with the hooded nibs tend to come with fine nibs, I've found, and the Baoer 188s' nibs are more fine than medium. As for replacement nibs, I've replaced my 163's nib with a fine one from Fountain Pen Revolution. You can replace the nib (#5, if I remember correctly) fairly easily. The nib and feed are friction fitted, and can be pulled out and shoved back in pretty easily. You just have to be careful not to bend the nib tips when you do it.

Sponsored Content

|