Noodler's Piston-Fill Resin Fountain Pen

arandur

First Impressions (8)

This pen looks slick! For a pen that only costs $14 retail, it looks and feel as though the construction is solid and quality. There are so many threads that can be seen through the clear body, the only non-threaded bit is the ink chamber!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/morvaltur/Fountain%20Pens/NoodlersPiston1.jpg

Appearance (8)

Except for the metal nib and chrome accents on the section, cap, and clip, the pen is entirely clear. The metal does accent the transparent body. The pen appears thin, slim, and classy.

Design/Size/Weight (9)

The cap of this pen screws on to the section with narrow threads that hold it tight. The pen’s clip appears thin, yet solid. Despite the light weight of the pen, it feels like a firm tool in my hand.

Nib (8)

The medium nib actually seems to tend toward a fine. It is moderately smooth and has a good bit of variation in the width, depending on the angle at which it is held.

Filling System (10)

The piston filling system is incredibly easy to use. Screwing back the piston away from the body, it moves smoothly and fills with a single twist back to the body. The ink capacity, too, is large and excellent. As an alternative to using the piston-filler, the nib and feed may be removed, and the pen may be filled with a syringe.

Cost and Value (10)

The build of this pen is more than worth the $14. Enough said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/morvaltur/Fountain%20Pens/NoodlersPiston2.jpg

Conclusion (9)

I personally love demonstrators, and this probably endears this pen to me further than if it were another color or opaque. This is definitely an excellent investment.

NOTE: As I actually purchased this pen used, the ink chamber is a bit darkened/stained.

Built from Ink and Tea: A Blog about Lego, Fountain Pens, and...Tea!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3937/paperzu3.png

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arandur

• Namo

• Mags

• Saintpaulia

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful little pen. I for one, even if it is too slim, like it better than their bigger sisters, the Ahab and the Konrad. Thank you for the review!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

It is cute and reminds me of my little cartridge style school pen from schaeffer. It looks feather light to look at. Is it tiny and light to hold?

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Out of curiosity, what do you like better about this pen than the Ahab and Konrad?

Mmh, good question, and I am not sure I do have an answer. I just noticed that out of the two Noods. currently inked, two demos and two with a Waterman nib fitted in, three times out of four, I reach for the little creeper instead f the Konrad. There is something cute, balanced, harmonious about the little creeper that I don't find with the Konrad, and certainly not with the Ahab (although a great pen and a great idea). Simplicity, maybe.

And I've had far less trouble to get it writing than I had with the Ahabs or even the Konrad (but that's just a matter of luck, I guess). What is rather stange is that I love the Ahab/Konrad nib.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

It is cute and reminds me of my little cartridge style school pen from schaeffer. It looks feather light to look at. Is it tiny and light to hold?

It is very light...lighter even than some fully plastic pens that I have. I cannot say that is tiny, per se, as I have used tinier pens (insomuch as they are shorter, not slimmer), but the slimness of this pen is not at all an issue for my large hands.

Mmh, good question, and I am not sure I do have an answer. I just noticed that out of the two Noods. currently inked, two demos and two with a Waterman nib fitted in, three times out of four, I reach for the little creeper instead f the Konrad. There is something cute, balanced, harmonious about the little creeper that I don't find with the Konrad, and certainly not with the Ahab (although a great pen and a great idea). Simplicity, maybe.

And I've had far less trouble to get it writing than I had with the Ahabs or even the Konrad (but that's just a matter of luck, I guess). What is rather stange is that I love the Ahab/Konrad nib.

Which Waterman nibs are you using? I have been really interested in changing the nibs on my Creaper, but I was not sure what would fit. I have seen posts about changing the Ahab nibs and the alternatives thereof, but I assume the Ahab nib is larger than the Konrad or the Creaper nibs?

As for loving the Ahab/Konrad nib, have you tried the Noodler's Nib Creaper Flex? It is basically the same body as the pen I reviewed above, but it comes with a Noodler's flex nib. (See my review here.)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3937/paperzu3.png

It is very light...lighter even than some fully plastic pens that I have. I cannot say that is tiny, per se, as I have used tinier pens (insomuch as they are shorter, not slimmer), but the slimness of this pen is not at all an issue for my large hands.

Which Waterman nibs are you using? I have been really interested in changing the nibs on my Creaper, but I was not sure what would fit. I have seen posts about changing the Ahab nibs and the alternatives thereof, but I assume the Ahab nib is larger than the Konrad or the Creaper nibs?

As for loving the Ahab/Konrad nib, have you tried the Noodler's Nib Creaper Flex? It is basically the same body as the pen I reviewed above, but it comes with a Noodler's flex nib. (See my review here.)

I've tried the Noods Creaper Flex and I like it a lot. I still have a little yellow Creaper with that nib. The Waterman is a n°2, I think, it was with a 52 1/2v, now broken. From what I understand, the Creaper was made se the n° 2 nib would be a erfect fit.

As for the Ahab and the Konrad, they have the same feed and nib. There is a wonderful video on Nathan Tardif site about changing nibs and how to shape the feed of the Ahab/Konrad so it would work (thank you again, Uncle Red, for mentioning this video!)

amonjak.com

I've tried the Noods Creaper Flex and I like it a lot. I still have a little yellow Creaper with that nib. The Waterman is a n°2, I think, it was with a 52 1/2v, now broken. From what I understand, the Creaper was made se the n° 2 nib would be a erfect fit.

As for the Ahab and the Konrad, they have the same feed and nib. There is a wonderful video on Nathan Tardif site about changing nibs and how to shape the feed of the Ahab/Konrad so it would work (thank you again, Uncle Red, for mentioning this video!)

I did see that video! It was great, and it is part of why I am wanting to acquire an Ahab or Konrad. Are the grips on the Ahab and Konrad the same size?

I fear I must amend my comments on the Noodler's Piston-Fill Resin fountain pen...I have been primarily using it for taking notes and short bursts. Today, I had an exam for school that was entirely handwritten. Half an hour into the exam, using this pen, I found that the slimness of the grip was becoming a bit uncomfortable, so I opted to switch to a Lamy Safari. This is really the first and only issue I have had.

This Noodler is small, that's what I like about it b/c of my small hand. It is not "tiny" however. I've had some truly tiny pens and this ain't one. It is light to hold, another plus imho. The pen weighs 11.50 grams, identical to my Sheaffer Student which is 11.15 grams. The grip section measures betw. 8.5 and 9.0 mm., which is my comfort zone. Also same as my Student.

What's with this TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE SIGN?

Edited by Saintpaulia

To my relatively small male hand, this pen is too small in diameter for comfortable extended writing. Its a fine pen but not the best suited for my hand. The Konrad, however, can go the distance (ten holiday letters last night, for instance) both in comfort and ink capacity.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

I recently acquired one these creapers. Weird little pen. I can't say I dislike it. At least I got it to flex, after much wrangling of nib and feed, which is more than I can boast about my Ahab. A lot smaller than I anticipated, but I don't have a problem with small light pens, despite large hands.

I do have a question for you creaper savvy owners. Can I slightly swell the ebonite feed by boiling in water? Seems I read this is possible, somewhere. I ask because, while I did get the feed/nib adjusted so it would feed and flex at the same time, I can tell the nib is about a hair's breadth from falling out of the section, it's fit being that precarious. I'd like to make this adjustment with a little more surety and figure a tighter fit would do it. So, a larger feed diameter or a smaller section diameter is what I need. Can anyone provide advice on how I might achieve this? Thank you.

nulla dies sine linea

To my relatively small male hand, this pen is too small in diameter for comfortable extended writing. Its a fine pen but not the best suited for my hand. The Konrad, however, can go the distance (ten holiday letters last night, for instance) both in comfort and ink capacity.

Have you also tried the Ahab? I am looking for a comparison of feeling between the Konrad and the Ahab by someone, who has the same extended-writing issues with the Creaper, as I do. At this point, my decision between an Ahab and a Konrad is being biased toward the Ahab for the versatility of the filling mechanism(s), but if the Konrad is a more comfortable grip, that would certainly put many points in its favor.

I recently acquired one these creapers. Weird little pen. I can't say I dislike it. At least I got it to flex, after much wrangling of nib and feed, which is more than I can boast about my Ahab. A lot smaller than I anticipated, but I don't have a problem with small light pens, despite large hands.

I do have a question for you creaper savvy owners. Can I slightly swell the ebonite feed by boiling in water? Seems I read this is possible, somewhere. I ask because, while I did get the feed/nib adjusted so it would feed and flex at the same time, I can tell the nib is about a hair's breadth from falling out of the section, it's fit being that precarious. I'd like to make this adjustment with a little more surety and figure a tighter fit would do it. So, a larger feed diameter or a smaller section diameter is what I need. Can anyone provide advice on how I might achieve this? Thank you.

I cannot say that I have ever tried boiling an ebonite feed to swell it, nor have I ever heard of such being done. I am certain that there are others, here, who have more knowledge of such than I do. You could try heating the feed (a few seconds over a candle flame, not in it, should be sufficient) and giving it a bit of a bend to meet the nib better. Check out the video that Nathan Tardiff of Noodler's has on their website. It mainly touches on Konrads, but the principles of ebonite feeds, which are discussed, should work equally as well with your Creaper.