Pilot Custom 823 Vs Heritage 92 Vs Sailor Progear Realo...

Mistertaz

Hi all!

I'm after a Japanese fine point fountain pen. I've been using Lamy 2000s and Pelikans for years, but want to try out the Oriental competition! :)

I'm currently tossing up between: Pilot Custom 823 / Pilot Heritage 92 / Sailor Progear Realo.

I will only use a piston (or vacuum) system pen, so I've culled my final options down to these three pens. A larger ink capacity is nice, but I only probably do 20-30 (not dense) pages worth of writing per day. Any of the Pelikan piston fillers easily lasts me more than one day.

My main criterion is ease of rapid use for intermittent note-taking. I'm an emergency department doctor, so I have my single pen in a pocket and I'm rushing around the department scribbling notes. I don't have a desk and only want to fill my pen once in the morning. I want to take it out, write a few things and perhaps up to 2-3 pages, and stick it back in my pocket.

My thoughts and concerns:

The Sailor Realo is quite attractive and should have a lovely nib, but has a smaller ink capacity and is quite expensive.

The Pilot Custom 823 has a great ink capacity, but I'm concerned about the need to unscrew the end to write. I understand that notes can be taken without unscrewing the end, but at some stage do you have to unscrew it to allow some ink back into the feed? Or will it fill the feed after sitting for a while? If not, could I write with it, then after finishing and putting the cap back on, just unscrew and then immediately screw the end back on, just to preload the feed? It's also still quite pricy, but looks cheaper than the Sailor.

The Pilot Heritage 92 is cheap and has a reasonable capacity piston filler, and is probably the most practical option of the three. It just looks kinda cheap though. It's a little off-putting that it looks just like the TWSBI. :/ In real life does it look much better? I'm also concerned that the nib won't be as good as the Sailor or 823.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Heritage 92. Thanks for your input and feedback! :)

Thanks!

Taz.

Pelikan M800 (Too large...)

Pelikan M150 (Too small...)

Lamy 2000 x2 (Both cracked...)

Looking at changing to a Japanese or Italian...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wisma46

• Dr.Grace

• Mistertaz

• notVirtuThe3rd

I have seen the 92 in the flesh. Not bad but again, not inspiring if you are after something that looks more top shelf.

The size 5 Pilot nibs are great. I have used them on Custom 74s and Custom 91's (the C/C version of the 92) and they have always been smooth writers. The Fines can be a bit dry compared to the FMs and Ms though. Sailor Fines tend to be wetter. I have very limited experience with the size 15 nibs on the 823 but the F and B that I have tried were all wetter than the Custom 74s but drier than an equivalent from say Pelikan, Platinum or Sailor.

If you don't mind a left field suggestion, would you consider a Vanishing Point? If an F nib is what you need, the VP tends to be miserly in consumption but has a wettish line. Easy to operate with one hand, if your needs demand it. If you have two hands free in the workplace, then any of your three options will be up to the task.

Good luck choosing and it would be great to know what you decide on. thumbup.gif

I have all three pens you mention, and I like all three. But I like the Pilot 823 the best. It holds a lot of ink, the nibs are wonderful, and it is a good sized pen. If you are concerned about having to unscrew/screw the blind cap to write, take heed: you don't have to totally unscrew the blind cap-just a turn or turn and a half will do; you don't have to screw down the blind cap after you finish writing, you can leave it unscrewed safely, cap the pen and put it in your pocket without having to worry, so the pen will be ready to write the next time you pull it out of your pocket. Just my experience...

Edited by ehemem

If you don't mind a left field suggestion, would you consider a Vanishing Point? If an F nib is what you need, the VP tends to be miserly in consumption but has a wettish line. Easy to operate with one hand, if your needs demand it. If you have two hands free in the workplace, then any of your three options will be up to the task.

+1 for a VP. I've got a matte black VP with an EF nib. The capless action saves all sorts of time. The EF nib uses so little ink per sentence that it hardly ever needs refilling. This is one of my two go-to pens that I carry all the time. The other is a Sailor Pro Gear Reala F nib--wetter and uses more ink than the VP, but it puts out a beautiful line. I'd vote for the Reala if it wasn't for the real convenience of the VP.

Have fun.

Marc

Edited by marcomillions

When you say "black" to a printer in "big business" the word is almost meaningless, so innumerable are its meanings. To the craftsman, on the other hand, black is simply the black he makes --- the word is crammed with meaning: he knows the stuff as well as he knows his own hand. --- Eric Gill

Ehemem's right about the 823. That would be my recommendation, too. Fantastic pen! I'd only say that sometimes you might want to open the valve if you've been writing a lot. I typically have to open it up all the way, not just a little bit. However, I often carry it around with the valve open and don't see ink leakage. Of course, on a plane takeoff or landing, I'd keep it closed.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

With respect to Sailor, I won't go near them. I've had problem after problem. The 823 is a marvelous pen, and the VP is extremely great for taking notes.

I also own and use all three. Reading your modus operandi, I'm concerned that pens with screw caps might not be the best fit for your situation. Screw caps are secure, however, and there are only two snap fit pens that I consider adequately secure - the Pilot Prera and Pilot Custom 98 - neither of which would suit you as they are very small and have limited ink capacity.

The Pilot VP would be seem worthy of consideration. Only requires one hand to ready it for writing and no dramas undoing a screw cap or having a snap cap fall off. If you like a large body, get the standard version, if not then go for a Decimo. The single handed operation would be a great asset in your situation.

Good luck!

I will only use a piston (or vacuum) system pen, so I've culled my final options down to these three pens. A larger ink capacity is nice, but I only probably do 20-30 (not dense) pages worth of writing per day. Any of the Pelikan piston fillers easily lasts me more than one day.

Hi Taz,

The Realo holds 1ml, Heritage 92 holds 1.2ml, and the 823 holds 2.2ml of ink.

The only pen of those 3 I haven't tried is the Pilot Heritage. Re. the Heritage 92's nib: it uses the same nibs as the Pilot Heritage 91, and having tried those nibs I don't think you'll have an issue with the nib on the 92.

The 823 was too big for me and so didn't use it more than to take a friend's 823 for a test drive, and so can't speak to the specific questions you have about it. You could start there, and if it doesn't work out for you, sell it and get the one of the others. Since you are going to use the pen at work: you might read further, or perhaps folks will chime in, on reports of cracking in the 823.

The Realo is very nice, but more bling than capacity. Having read many reports about the inconsistency of Sailor nibs, I bought it from a dealer who would check the nib for me. My EF was super smooth and a delight to write with. I recently sold this pen, not because of the nib at all, but because it was too serious looking for moi.

The one I would pick would be the Heritage 92 if only because it is the one I haven't tried yet.

Good luck in choosing!

Cheers,

Julie happyberet.gif

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

As one of the people who encountered cracking of the 823's barrel, let me say that it only happened when I was screwing in the nib section after taking it off for cleaning. Pilot fixed it at no charge, much to their credit. I don't unscrew the section any more and haven't had any problems since.

Edited by Dr.Grace

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I use a fountain pen daily in my practice as an anesthesiologist. A Custom 823 fine nib is one of my favorites. There are a couple of interesting threads on FPN pertaining to this pen:

How to fill a Pilot Custom 823

How to fill a Pilot Custom 823 all the way up

I recommend trying the second method with water a few times first. You increase the volume of ink about 1/3 to about 3 mL. I often leave the plunger unscrewed. It would only leak if there were a change in atmospheric pressure and the pen were upside down--having both happen in the Emergency Department at the same time is unlikely. I also own several Custom 74s. They use the same nib as the 91 and 92, but I do prefer the nib on the 823. I say go with the 823, you won't be disappointed.

I admire your decision only to use piston or fillers; I prefer most anything to cartridge/converters--although they are convenient. If you want a really huge ink capacity, about 5 mL., and a traditional filling system, have Brian Gray at Edison Pen Company make you a bulb filler:

Edison Pen Co. Bulb Fillers

You can get a really nice custom pen for about $395.00 USD with a steel nib--easily replaced if you drop it nib first on the floor. My Herald Grandes are large pens, roughly the same diameter as a Mont Blanc 149 and about 2 cm. longer and they write beautifully.

Best of luck, you really can't go wrong with any of these pens.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the replies! It sounds like it's a resounding win for the Pilot 823, with quite a few votes for the Vanishing Point as well! :)

I've always been intrigued by the VP, but the small ink capacity has always put me off. They're quite well priced though, and that matte black one looks the goods! I'm quite tempted, and I'm sure one will eventually enter the fold!

As for the Custom 823 vs Heritage 92 vs Sailor Realo... I've got my eye on a few online. I'll let you all know what I end up with and my thoughts... Hmm... I could get a Vanishing Point AND a Heritage 92 for the price of either of the other two... Hmmm... ;)

Thanks again, and anyone else, please feel free to also add your advice!

Regards,

Taz. :)

Pelikan M800 (Too large...)

Pelikan M150 (Too small...)

Lamy 2000 x2 (Both cracked...)

Looking at changing to a Japanese or Italian...

Re: the VP's small ink capacity... Just refill a cartridge. Don't use a Con-50. If refilling carts isn't your thing, then a Con-20 will still hold a good amount of ink to make the "small ink capacity" issue negligible. Also, have you tried unscrewing a fountain pen and posting the cap while you're rushing around? I find it's a good recipe for dropping caps and getting frustrated :gaah:

The three pens you mention would be great desk / non-rushing around pens.

My vote's for the VP :thumbup:

Thinking of getting either the 92 or 823. Still can't decide.

Do you want a coloured demonstrator so much, and do you want it to be a Pilot so much (and do you want a gold nib so much) that you'd pay 3-4 times as much for one instead of just getting a TWSBI that's superficially the same? (and easier to self-maintain without voiding warranties etc., at that)

That being said, if you really like your demonstrators, you may find the added costs worth it (Pilot name, Pilot QC and Pilot gold nib).

Personally, I'd wait to see how the TWSBI 580 fares (in regards to QC and these cracking issues) before gallivanting off to get the Pilot 92 Heritage, but since I don't really like demonstrators anyway and already have a C823 that's more than adequate (interesting filling system; holds tons of ink; perfect size, weight and balance for me), I don't face your choice.

So, I say: "get the custom 823"

Why?

"Because", that's why.

Thinking of getting either the 92 or 823. Still can't decide.

Do you want a coloured demonstrator so much, and do you want it to be a Pilot so much (and do you want a gold nib so much) that you'd pay 3-4 times as much for one instead of just getting a TWSBI that's superficially the same? (and easier to self-maintain without voiding warranties etc., at that)

That being said, if you really like your demonstrators, you may find the added costs worth it (Pilot name, Pilot QC and Pilot gold nib).

Personally, I'd wait to see how the TWSBI 580 fares (in regards to QC and these cracking issues) before gallivanting off to get the Pilot 92 Heritage, but since I don't really like demonstrators anyway and already have a C823 that's more than adequate (interesting filling system; holds tons of ink; perfect size, weight and balance for me), I don't face your choice.

So, I say: "get the custom 823"

Why?

"Because", that's why.

Can't say I am a big fan of demonstrators, colored or otherwise. I like some of them e.g the 92 smoke. I already have a 540 with a cracked barrel. It's my daily carry. While it is a great pen, I want to try Japanese pens and pens with different nibs etc. You know what they say, variety is the spice of life etc.

The only pilot pen I have is a vintage VP. Forgot to mention I have a very strong preference for self filling pens.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the replies! It sounds like it's a resounding win for the Pilot 823, with quite a few votes for the Vanishing Point as well! :)

I've always been intrigued by the VP, but the small ink capacity has always put me off. They're quite well priced though, and that matte black one looks the goods! I'm quite tempted, and I'm sure one will eventually enter the fold!

As for the Custom 823 vs Heritage 92 vs Sailor Realo... I've got my eye on a few online. I'll let you all know what I end up with and my thoughts... Hmm... I could get a Vanishing Point AND a Heritage 92 for the price of either of the other two... Hmmm... ;)

Thanks again, and anyone else, please feel free to also add your advice!

Regards,

Taz. :)

Taz,

I would be interested in what you eventually get, and how you feel about the pen. I have all but the Heritage 92, which does indeed look cheap (I don't understand why they use a flat-top cap for that model; I like the design of my Custom 74s much more -and consider them to be the best mid-priced pens on the market. Also, the Con-70 converter is actually a lot of fun).

That said, from your previous choices (Lamy, Pelikan, and "Pelikan 800 too large"), I would not go with the Custom 823. I have it; the nib is great; the cap ring looks a little cheap for the price points; but above all, it's kind of a fun pen, something to play with or write diary with; but even so, it disappeared into the box after a month or two. I like serious pens like you. Pens that perform under stress. That excludes those that leak in airplanes (pretty much all snap caps AND the VP). Personally, in your situation, I would go with a Sailor cartridge filler; but since that's not an option, the Realo is better pen than people think.

I took the Realo on some long trips, in the airplane, into cafés, on the street - and it looks as good as new and I never ran out of ink. Yes, Sailor does not have the "character" of an Aurora or Pelikan; but it performs under stress, looks good, and is, finally, reasonably priced for that sort of pen. I would get it at a place that tunes the nib for you - just to avoid any disappointments.

And can I just say this? The TWSBI doesn't let you post the cap. I find that just annoying.

Good luck, and let's hope that Sailor updates the Realo line at some point to make it more sexy.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 1 month later...