Care Of Rose Gold Nibs

H. Lime

It's a bit too late for it, as I think I've managed to remove some of the plating while clearing excess ink after refilling my omas scarlet pen -- but are there any special precautions in the care of rose-gold plated nibs?

A fool and his money are soon parted: Montegrappa 300, Waterman Expert II, Omas Ogiva Autunno, Omas 555/S, Omas 557/S, Omas Ogiva Scarlet, Waterman Patrician Agate, Montblanc 144 (lost :(), Omas Ogiva Arco Brown (flex), Omas 360 Arco Brown, Delta Sevivon (stub), Montblanc 146 (1950s), Omas 360 Grey (stub), Omas 360 Wild (stub), Swan M2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• H. Lime

• raging.dragon

• eric47

• peterpen53

how did u manage to do that?!!

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

I'll mention this to Etruria S.r.l. - this is the second one I have encountered now. It shouldn't be that easy.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

how did u manage to do that?!!

no clue.. but this morning i've noticed a discolouration at the base of the nib, where there had been an ink blob i've brushed away, and realised that the plating is gone.

It's an omas scarlet, by the way -- not a stipula erturia. Maybe I'll have a word with Novelli about it. The ink (though I hope it's not the culprit) is Akkerman's "Shocking Blue".

Edited by H. Lime

A fool and his money are soon parted: Montegrappa 300, Waterman Expert II, Omas Ogiva Autunno, Omas 555/S, Omas 557/S, Omas Ogiva Scarlet, Waterman Patrician Agate, Montblanc 144 (lost :(), Omas Ogiva Arco Brown (flex), Omas 360 Arco Brown, Delta Sevivon (stub), Montblanc 146 (1950s), Omas 360 Grey (stub), Omas 360 Wild (stub), Swan M2

Shocking Blue has a high dye concentration, but I doubt it contains strong acids or other harsh chemicals that would damage the gold plating. Probably best to follow up with Novelli.

Shocking Blue has a high dye concentration, but I doubt it contains strong acids or other harsh chemicals that would damage the gold plating. Probably best to follow up with Novelli.

Thanks -- I'll do so. I've used shocking blue on my other pens (though none of them are rose-gold plated), and there had been no issue.

Thanks -- I'll do so. I've used shocking blue on my other pens (though none of them are rose-gold plated), and there had been no issue.

Rose Gold plating is relatively new to the pen industry, so it's possible OMAS haven't mastered it yet (I believe OMAS had alot of issues when they first introduced Rhodium plating?). However, plating defects will happen occasionally with any material, so the difference in materials could be a coincidence.

Rose Gold plating is relatively new to the pen industry, so it's possible OMAS haven't mastered it yet (I believe OMAS had alot of issues when they first introduced Rhodium plating?). However, plating defects will happen occasionally with any material, so the difference in materials could be a coincidence.

Omas used rose gold in a somewhat limited version of the Paragon made only in 2002. Georges Zaslavsky just put up a review in the Reviews forum. I have owned one since it came out and though I've noticed the rose gold tarnishes quite easily I never managed to loose any plating. Nor on any of the many rhodium plated Omas pens I own.

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Omas plating is "suspect" to put it kindly, no doubt about it. While I understand plated cap rings and clip, I suppose the thing I'd want to know is why the nibs are plated in rose gold rather than being solid rose gold. Since the nibs are plated in rose gold, I think I won't be using my Ogiva blue LE any time soon.

At any rate, I'd send a note to Marco at Novelli to see what he says.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I suppose the thing I'd want to know is why the nibs are plated in rose gold rather than being solid rose gold.

That's what I'm curious about.

In fact, I cannot think of a single pen that has a solid rose gold nib (Nakaya for example have a plating).

Perhaps it's due to the alloy not being suitable for nib purposes in some fashion?

I suppose the thing I'd want to know is why the nibs are plated in rose gold rather than being solid rose gold.

That's what I'm curious about.

In fact, I cannot think of a single pen that has a solid rose gold nib (Nakaya for example have a plating).

Perhaps it's due to the alloy not being suitable for nib purposes in some fashion?

That's certainly possible. Also it's probably cheaper to plate a standard (Yellow Gold) nib than to do a special run of nibs in Rose Gold or White Gold (I believe "White Gold" nibs are actually Rhodium or Platinum plated Yellow Gold?).

That's certainly possible. Also it's probably cheaper to plate a standard (Yellow Gold) nib than to do a special run of nibs in Rose Gold or White Gold (I believe "White Gold" nibs are actually Rhodium or Platinum plated Yellow Gold?).

AFAIK they're usually rhodium-plated yellow gold, yeah.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thanks for your help, people -- I'll keep you posted. Should I put it aside for the time being?

According to Marco, this is the result of oxidation. Can someone care to explain?

Would it be possible to post a photo of the nib please? I would like to see what it looks like now that it has lost some of its plating.

According to Marco, this is the result of oxidation. Can someone care to explain?

I'm not sure what could be oxidixing, perhaps the copper in the Rose Gold? The nib and plating are both 18K Gold, and Gold doesn't oxidize so the only thing which could could have been oxidized are the other metals alloyed with the Gold. If I recall correctly Copper would be more easily oxidized than the other metals commonly alloyed with Gold and Rose Gold contains more Copper and less of those other metals, so oxidation is plausible. And the scaly blue green material certainly looks like it corroded Copper (an oxide, suphate, etc.).

The Shocking Blue ink you used isn't particularly harsh and the problem you encountered doesn't seem widespread. Perhaps the dye in that inks happens to react with Copper. However, I also wonder if something went wrong during the plating and your nib had a section where the plating was rich in Copper and poor in Gold (thus making is susceptible to corrosion by the water in any ink).

Whoa, that looks pretty bad. Near the tip is the nib loosing plating or are those bluish dots dried ink or reflections.

I'd probably write to Omas as well about this.

LOL, if there's no relief in sight, I'd probably just pull the nib and polish away the plating down to the yellow gold. If Omas plating of the rings holds to historic modern norm, the plating will probably come off too, particularly the rings near the nib. I'm staying away from rose gold plating on pens. Seems a fad that should end sooner than later.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Well, since the pen has been in my possession about a week, and I don't have the knowledge or the tools to take it apart, I'll have a word with Marco and see what can be done.

Shame, though. The celluloid itself is rather nice.