Not the smoothest Edson

ProfMike

Hi everyone!

I must be setting a record for newbie posts in the first hour of official membership... :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a less than 100% perfect Waterman Edson. After several months of thought, I finally placed an order for a new Edson the other day. It arrived today, and although it's quite possibly the most dramatically beautiful pen I've ever owned, the nib isn't exactly what I'd hoped. Yes, it's fairly smooth, but it's not the "gliding on lubricated glass" sensation that many of you describe. Is this something that will remedy itself within a few days of use, or should I be concerned? I'm heading to the Philadelphia Pen Show this coming weekend, so I might have the chance to meet (or attempt to do so) with one of the astonishingly talented "nib meisters" that might be there... Those members with a bit more experience than I (i.e., just about everyone!! haha!!), please feel free to share some advice.

Many thanks!!

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ProfMike

• marklavar

• petra

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your new pen! If you're going to the pen show, then for sure take it along. I have two Edsons & I'm crazy about them. They're smooth writers, but I wouldn't describe either one of them as "gliding on lubricated glass."

Usually I hear that kind of language about nib-meistered Omas pens. I don't have an Omas pen to compare... but one of these days...

Petra

Hi everyone!

I must be setting a record for newbie posts in the first hour of official membership... :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a less than 100% perfect Waterman Edson. After several months of thought, I finally placed an order for a new Edson the other day. It arrived today, and although it's quite possibly the most dramatically beautiful pen I've ever owned, the nib isn't exactly what I'd hoped. Yes, it's fairly smooth, but it's not the "gliding on lubricated glass" sensation that many of you describe. Is this something that will remedy itself within a few days of use, or should I be concerned? I'm heading to the Philadelphia Pen Show this coming weekend, so I might have the chance to meet (or attempt to do so) with one of the astonishingly talented "nib meisters" that might be there... Those members with a bit more experience than I (i.e., just about everyone!! haha!!), please feel free to share some advice.

Many thanks!!

Mike

What nib width is the pen? I originally bought one in F nib and it was scratchy. I'm much happier with the M nib pen I exchanged it for.

The Edson's a fine - I've got fairly small handwriting, so I tend to err on the side of finer nibs. As I wrote a little more with it last night, it seemed to get smoother. I figure I'll write a little more today, and then see what happens. Worse comes to worse, I'll see what happens at the Philly show.

Thanks for the tips!

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

The Edson's a fine - I've got fairly small handwriting, so I tend to err on the side of finer nibs. As I wrote a little more with it last night, it seemed to get smoother. I figure I'll write a little more today, and then see what happens. Worse comes to worse, I'll see what happens at the Philly show.

Thanks for the tips!

You should always try a pen in the shop before buying one. Nibs differ tremendously from brand to brand and even from model to model, so a fine nib that suits you well in one pen may be not suit you in another. Most people have small handwriting - not just you - and so many go for fine nibs in the belief that this is the best approach, but it's not necessarily so. A fountain pen is not like a felt tip or a rollerball, it's a totally different type of pen, and many fine nibs are scratchy and uncomfortable for the writer. It's often better to use a medium nib and adjust your handwriting accordingly in order to have a smoother ride.

If you find the fine Edson uncomfortable to use you can send it back to Sanford for a replacement medium nib free of charge.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions! The number of friendly, helpful people I've met on this board in only a few days is hard to believe...

Fortunately, I have an update regarding my grumpy Edson :P I was lucky enough to be at today's Philadelphia Pen Show. Besides having a chance to meet other pen lovers and ogle zillions of gorgeous pens, one of the main objectives of my visit was to see what might be done with my Edson and a Pilot Custom 823 whose ink flow was as dry as the Sahara! :ltcapd:

Anyway, I had the great fortune of stumbling across Roger Cromwell from Penopoly. Although he was clearly busy attending to several people, he took time to chat with me about the problems I was having. He not only diagnosed both pens, but fixed them - on the spot, no less!! :blink: - and didn't charge me a cent!! HUGE thanks to Roger!!

I think it's safe to say that I might possibly be the happiest pen-geek on the planet right now!! :roflmho: And... now I can't wait until the next (relatively) local pen show.

Anyway, today served as just another reminder that the "fountain pen community" almost always consists of a wonderful group of people that really enjoy spreading inky-loveliness among all its members, both new and old alike.

All the best to everyone!

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike