Pelikan 140 Vs 400

returnofpenguy

I am curious to know the differences between the 140 and 400. They are both from the same time 1950-59. Is the size the only difference? I see the cost of 400 is about $75 more than 140.

Also, I am looking for a nice daily writer that I can carry in my shirt pocket and write during meetings. Would pelikan pens be suitable for this purpose? I don't want to buy a desk pen, since I have other such pens.

Are the treads on the cap too many? On some of my eye droppers, the treads take too long for pen to be ready to write.

I have seen these pens with flex nibs and some very interesting nib points. Is the flex nib a charecteristics of all pelican pen nibs?

Too many questions.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• returnofpenguy

• piembi

• jgrasty

I am curious to know the differences between the 140 and 400. They are both from the same time 1950-59. Is the size the only difference? I see the cost of 400 is about $75 more than 140.

Also, I am looking for a nice daily writer that I can carry in my shirt pocket and write during meetings. Would pelikan pens be suitable for this purpose? I don't want to buy a desk pen, since I have other such pens.

Are the treads on the cap too many? On some of my eye droppers, the treads take too long for pen to be ready to write.

I have seen these pens with flex nibs and some very interesting nib points. Is the flex nib a charecteristics of all pelican pen nibs?

Too many questions.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Both 140 and 400 pens are excellent. Which you'll like better is personal preference.

Pelikans take 1/4 to 1/2 of a full rotation to take off the cap. You'll have no difficulty there.

I frequently carry Pelikans in my shirt pocket. Very rarely you may find a vintage Pelikan that has a cap that doesn't fit securely enough to put in your shirt pocket. None of mine have this issue.

Pelikan nibs of the era are typically semi-flex. I would not call them flexible, but they are very springy and have some line variation. Wonderful nibs, better than the stiff modern nibs, IMO.

The 140 had been the cheaper line, the 400 had been top of the Pelikan lines. Thus the 400 is bigger, the binde is more colourful and the quality of the gold plating is much better.

Regarding the nibs there is no other difference than the size. Both pens come with the same semiflexible nibs that are distinctive for all Pelikan nibs up to the 1960s. There is a stiff nib type out there as well, the "Durchschreibefeder" marked "D", that had been made for carbon copies.

My favourite daily writers at the office are three vintage pens. Depending on the paper of my notebook I use a Parker 51 (decent ink flow), a Pelikan 400 and a Pelikan 140 (both gushers - even with Pelikan ink). All of them had been made as workhorse pens and they are equally suitable for everyday use.

I am also carrying a 1990s M400 to the office. Personally I stick to my vintage Pelikans (love the 1950s/1960s nibs). The M400 is the pen I offer if someone asks me for a fountainpen (yes, this does happen frequently).

I don't have a '50-54 400 or a '56 400N.I don't know those nibs and forgot what Rick Papas said. He did say the 140 was semi-flex, the 400NN 'flexi' and the 100-100N easy full flex.

I do have a 140 and a 400NN. The 120 is also a nice pen, for a school pen. Mine is always in rotation. ;) The nib is as good in steel as my 14 C gold '90's 400.

The 140 is a tad smaller, but posts as long as a modern M400. The nib is smaller than both the 400NN and the more modern '90's M400.

The 400NN is a medium-large pen @ the size of a P-51. The M400 is a standard sized pen.

The 140 is a semi-flex nib.

The 400NN is a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nib.

The '83-89 400 is a nice springy regular flex nib...don't have, I do have the tad stiffer '90-97 M400...it is more springy and writes a sharper line than the modern post '97 fatter blobbier nibbed M400.

Bear in mind what Piembi said, ""There is a stiff nib type out there as well, the "Durchschreibefeder" marked "D", that had been made for carbon copies.""

I would suggest the 140 or the Geha 790 as good semi-flex nibbed pens. The Geha 790 is the same size as the M400.

I think one should work one's way up the flex chain, semi-flex, 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex, and easy full flex. It allows you to develop a light hand naturally.

The semi-flex can be used by the ham fisted.

The 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex can be used by the slightly ham fisted. :embarrassed_smile:

For the older 100 or 100N's that had an easy full flex nib...you do need a light hand. They are not what I'd call a modern day work pen.

Semi = almost. A semi-flex nib is not a 'flex' nib. It is more a springy ++ nib, with both tine bend and spread. It requires half the pressure to spread it's tines than a regular flex.

It will through natural pressure make certain letters in a word wider. Giving you that nice old fashioned fountain pen script.

It is often a wetter writer due to ease of tine spread.

Of course you should not press the nib to the max all the time, but you can make it do a tad of fancy.

If you are interested in a bit of fancy flexible writing, I'd suggest more the 400NN....if your hand has developed enough to use it. It requires 1/4th the pressure needed to spread it's tines than a regular flex.

For real fancy writing get a 100-100N with an easy full flex nib, that is designed to do it. 1/8th tine pressure.

I think you should look at a 120, or '83-89 or '90-97 M 400 or a 140 semi-flex, as very good work pens.

I'm more into semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' nibbed pens.

But a major problem is what paper are you using at work.

If poor, then it could be semi-flex is not for you.

For nicer looking, the pre-98 M400 would be the way to go if you still want a better nib.

Tortoise is not all that expensive with a bit of luck on German Ebay...M400 tortoise '84-96 one year after and before the M400 started and ended...'83-97.

PM me for a German Cheat sheet.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you all for your reply. Very helpful.

One question that always concerns me about the breaking of the filling mechanism and it's repair. Is it common for these pens to have problems with the piston fill? How expensive it is to get it fixed?

Seldom a problem. They have the up-to-date, mid 1950's plastic gasket. The early fifties might be more a problem. I do have a plastic gasket 'no name', war pen that works well.

My 140 and 400NN ('56), 120 (all-'56-65) and 1955 MB 234 1/2 Deluxe and few Geha's from the 'late-50's-mid '60s and other lesser brand '60s all with plastic gaskets work fine.

I expect my '90's and 2005 Pelikans to last as long with out repair as the ones from 1956.

There is an occasional problem, or plastic gasket repair would not be in the Marshal & Oldfield 'Pen Repair' book and Richard would not sell plastic sheets to make gaskets out of.

No idea what it costs, in that mine work fine.

The older or lesser early '50's pens with cork, can be a problem if they dried out for a couple of generations in the back of the drawer.

I do have some '30's-early '50s pens needing re-corking. As soon as I can block some time, I'll 'Repair at Home Alone" :yikes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 years later...

Here is a little review of my 140. OBB green striated.

Thank you for watching

MontPelikan

That was beautiful mastery of a pen. :notworthy1: :thumbup:

The things I'd change in what I once said, is my 400nn was maxi-semi-flex (and not 'normal' like I as almost noobie thought.) There are many regular semi-flex 400nn's.

I have my 500, which is an OBBB signature pen........on such I could think to expect maxi-semi-flex....I'll ask the other owners.

I have another 140, and three semi-flex '50-54 pens....

I have lucked out in Oblique in a mix of semi&maxi with 15&30 degree grinds in OBB, OB, OM and OF. Again like semi&maxi, there is no rhyme of 15 or 30 degree grinds....out side my 500. I could well think, at the fabled corner pens shop, the salesman/nibmeister went into the back room and ground a 15 degree nib to 30 if the customer wanted more.

I'd decided not to chase OEF, in IMO for me it's too narrow to see a pattern, and is not wide enough for shading inks.

Outside of Osmia which it is easy to tell a semi-flex has a diamond on the nib and Surpa is a maxi-semi-flex, it is all pure luck to get a maxi-semi-flex. I think 1 in 4-5 are maxi-semi-flex.

I have both maxi-semi-flex in Pelikan, MB and Geha, besides Osmia.

Here is a little review of my 140. OBB green striated.

Thank you for watching

MontPelikan

No, thank YOU! That was excellent! (wish I could do that)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

To be completely practical, I suggest you measure your shirt pockets depth. They may vary, if you wear different makers shirts, significantly. I find that if it is a shallow pocket shirt the 140 works well, but the 400 is too long. If it is a deep pocket shirt, the 140 will sag a bit, but the 400 may be quite right. There seems to be no rhyme or reason in regard to shirt pocket depth and the cost of the shirt. So, just because the shirt was an expensive one doesn't mean it has a deep pocket and conversely, some cheaper shirts have deep pockets. Also, the thickness of the material and it's smoothness may make some pens better with some shirts. As example, very thin shirts with very smooth material for me require a pen with a tight clip to avoid the problem of the pen slipping out of the pocket when I bend over and to keep the pen in a specific location in the pocket. Thick shirts require a loose clip to avoid a tight clip being sprung or to be of the type which adjusts to the thickness of the material.

Parker51 :notworthy1: :thumbup: :happyberet:

I like both the 400 and the 140. In fact the bulk of my Pelikan collection consists of these two models. But the 400NN is more pretty. I have a tortise 400NN with disintegrating binde.

Khan M. Ilyas

Sorry, just read Watch Art only does the 800&1000 and don't touch vintage.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson