Iroshizuku Writing Sample Comparison

Dynamitri

Hey!

I just found out about Iroshizuku inks and the shading seems really nice.

I would like to buy a iroshizuku ink, but they are quite expensive. So i will have to do some research first.

I'm having trouble deciding between the Tsuki-yo, Syo-ro, Ku-jaku inks.

Now, i can't find a good writing sample comparison between the inks. Is there by any chance a kind fountainpennetworker who has all 3 inks and is willing to do a writing sample?

Tanks in advance!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• AlejoPlay

• KCat

• geoduc

Hi,

Paper: Rhodia.

Ruling: 8mm.

Original scan: 215x270mm @ 200dpi.

Inks: L → R: ku-jaku, syo-ro, tsuki-yo.

Pens: T → B: M200+EF, Somiko+B, C74+MS.

Text: Moby Dick

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/INK835_zps6eb945be.jpg

tsuki-yo: My Review

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Go to the Ink Reviews forum and do a search on "Iroshizuku". For me, the most "different" of these inks is the slightly feminine Yama Budo.

Other than Yama Budo, none of mine really stand out enough to justify the cost of the ink, though they do make nice bottles.

Edited by Jeffery Smith

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Here's another scan to go with Sandy1's

Left to right: ku-jaku, syo-ro, tsuki-yo

Paper: Clairefontaine 90 g/m2 Seyes ruled

Pen: Nakaya Neo Standard, 0.7mm stub

fpn_1354465762__kj_sr_ty.jpg

Good work to those who put up samples! Thank you! It is tsuki-yo for me, a very nice ink for writing in a lovely bottle.

Best to all

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

Here's another scan to go with Sandy1's

Left to right: ku-jaku, syo-ro, tsuki-yo

Paper: Clairefontaine 90 g/m2 Seyes ruled

Pen: Nakaya Neo Standard, 0.7mm stub

fpn_1354465762__kj_sr_ty.jpg

Nice to see them all 3 together. Thanks Geoduc for this scan :thumbup: . I have nr 1 and 3; great inks. From what I can see, I'll keep it that way.

Happy Writing!, Mainecoon

Dreams are presentiments of what you are able to accomplish (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

Thanks to Sandy1 and geoduc for posting scans! I have samples of all three coming to me in the mail, and now I'm even more excited to try them.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

you should at least try syo-ro, the color shift nice to see

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Go to the Ink Reviews forum and do a search on "Iroshizuku". For me, the most "different" of these inks is the slightly feminine Yama Budo.

Other than Yama Budo, none of mine really stand out enough to justify the cost of the ink, though they do make nice bottles.

:headsmack:

And we made this man a moderator?

:roflmho:

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Engeika, in Japan has them on sale. I was lookoing at them just now and thought they looked interesting. I ordered from them before and found he was good to deal with. I would like to know more about the qualities of these inks and how the perform on lesser quality papers.

Great scan, geoduc. I've been so pleased with Tsuki-yo that I've never tried another Iro ink. That Ku-jaku looks tempting, but to my eye it has a very strong resemblance to the ink formerly known as Waterman Blue Black.

Today I inked up a sample from Steve. Thank you!

This is Ama-Iro (Sky)

(And a Pen on loan from MrCharlie)

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-12-10-Sheaffer.png

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

:headsmack:

And we made this man a moderator?

:roflmho:

I quite agree with this comment. It's not the first time I see such "assertive" comments on Iroshizuku inks highlighting they aren't worth the price. Quite weird it comes from a moderator.....I've always replied to such assertive negative comments on Irohizuku inks that:

1) their overall performance in terms of flow and shading is generally better than most ( all , in my experience) inks . This already justifies the price in my opinion. All pens I filled with Iroshizuku inks write much better than before, but that's only my experience of course (although I've tried many inks in over 40 years....)

2) quite a few ( not all of course) of their colours are unique: for example, tsuki yo is a unique dark blue, Kon Peki a unique bright blue without needing to be a "south seas turquoise" , Fuyu Syogun is a marvelous bluish grey; Ku-Yaku is the most versatile blue/green on the market and can be used as an everyday ink; Yamaguri is a lovely dark brown ink, no too brown to be considered unusable as everyday ink, not too dark to be considered a desaturated black ink.

3) in general, in my opinion who is so negative on Iroshizuku inks either hasn't tried them thoroughly or...has a problem witjh his pens....

Best

Piero

I'm trying to come up with my shopping list for when I go to Japan. I keep going back and forth on whether I like Tsuki-Yo. I've tried the sample I have in a couple different pens and I would love it if it looked like geoduc's scan, but it just looks like a teal mixed with a powdery blue. I like the looks of Kujaku and Syo-Ro and I can't figure out which I like more. I definitely want Shin Kai, so that's a definite.

I am in the same boat as AlejoPlay. I am looking to purchase my first bottle of Iroshizuku and am torn between Ku-jaku and Syo-Ro.

How green is Syo-Ro in person? What inks look most similar to it?

I am in the same boat as AlejoPlay. I am looking to purchase my first bottle of Iroshizuku and am torn between Ku-jaku and Syo-Ro.

How green is Syo-Ro in person? What inks look most similar to it?

Those colors just do not scan well or something. I've seen scans where Kujaku looks like a very jewel toned cross between a royal blue and a turquoise and scans where it just looks like a turquoise. Syo-Ro I've seen look really green and a dark teal. I would love it if geoduc's scan is accurate! What I am hoping for is one of those displays I've seen on here with a bunch of pens inked with each Iroshizuku color so I can see the colors in person.

I'm also debating acquiring some Kobe ink and I have no idea how much ink I can check in my suitcase (or declare in customs).