Parker Sonnet Review

Miadhawk

The Parker Sonnet seems to a popular pen, with both positive and negative press it seems, a nice pen available in several finishes and trims, the 2nd in line of Parker's current lineup dubbed "The Writers Pen"

Here is some basic info about my specific pen:

Nib Size: F

Finish: Lacquer

Trim: Gold Plate

Appearance and Design: 8/10:

This is the odd part about the pen, its a blue pen with different shades in loose stripes, even as dark as black The gold trim accents it very well, this is a pen that I can't see everyone liking, its attractive, but not too bright, which I like.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8197/8236390871_27be580873_b.jpg

DSC00458 by miadhoque, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8237459776_4f9cdd5dbc_b.jpg

DSC00459 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Construction and Quality: 9/10

I'm taking points off as the snap on cap feels a little weird, but firm when the pen is being capped. The quality is great however, some seem to have bad experiences with the pen drying out in a few hours, or overnight, but I have experienced no such issue, its traveled faithfully with me, clipped to a pocket, ready for use in a moments notice, and ink comes out as soon as the pen hits paper.

Weight and Dimensions: 10/10

I feel like Parker really put some thought into this one, I don't like the weight/balance of the Parker 45,51,Urban, and IM, but i do like it on this one. It feels nice in the hand, not heavy by any means, but substantial, like its worth something. The dimensions are great too, on the smaller side of the fountain pen world, but with a large grip section its comfortable.

Nib and Performance: 8/10

I'll be honest, its not my favorite nib, but I have to give credit where credit is due, this nib is fantastically smooth out of the box, and is on the drier side of things as well. The "fine" nib I've got is certainly a western fine, the steel gold nib is very nice to look at, someday I might upgrade to a gold italic nib, but that day is not here yet.The nib doesn't skip or have any issues starting, no complaints, just that I prefer a wetter nib.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8068/8237460510_7f64b46ef7_b.jpg

DSC00461 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Filling System and Maintenance 7/10

I don't like converters that much, but this one works well, and given the dry nib, will suffice, converter is smooth and draws ink well, no issues, just preference at it again, maybe the Visconti double reservoir has spoiled me :embarrassed_smile: The nib is removable should you wish to interchange it with another or for cleaning.

Cost and Value: 9/10

A solid performer that looks good and isn't a wallet buster, i like this pen a good lot, it comes in a variety of options and looks and feels nice.

Conclusion:

Would I recommend this pen? Yes I would and I have, a friend of mine has a steel gold trimmed version and she loves it. I hope other owners feel the same way.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8341/8236392883_1af3f40201_b.jpg

DSC00462 by miadhoque, on Flickr

The little things really count.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miadhawk

• jctsoares

• whych

• 11lukeball

The nibs are a bit hit and miss. Some of the steel fine nibs are a pain to get going while others are great.

The quality control on the gold italics isn't what it should be. There was a guy on ebay Germany that did OM steel nibs for under 10 Euro that are probably a better bet.

The normal gold nibs are fine to use.

Unlike Pelikan, the gold and steel nibs are the same thickness.

PM me if you want to do a trade or swap on a gold nib.

Nice review, and spot on.

I've used a '95 Sonnet as my daily writer for years and my experience mirrors yours.

The pen you have is from the 1998 color and finish re-spin of the Sonnet line.

Your finish is called Deep Blue Laque. There was also a green and a red version.

Congrats on a great pen and thanks for the review.

AJ

I have a Parker Sonnet which I feel is a quality pen and I always enjoy writing with this pen. It always writes right away as soon as I put it to paper. I use Waterman ink, as I like its flow qualities.

Mine has wine red lacquer with gold trimmings and the barrel has a good heft. It's got a fine point, gold nib which wrote straight out of the box. The nib is screw-on, so it's very easy to clean. What I also like is that the cap is clip-on and holds tight. If I were to complain a bit, the cap clips on a bit too tight.

The nibs are a bit hit and miss. Some of the steel fine nibs are a pain to get going while others are great.

The quality control on the gold italics isn't what it should be. There was a guy on ebay Germany that did OM steel nibs for under 10 Euro that are probably a better bet.

The normal gold nibs are fine to use.

Unlike Pelikan, the gold and steel nibs are the same thickness.

PM me if you want to do a trade or swap on a gold nib.

I will be in contact, thanks!

nice review mate! i have a sonnet on the way so this was really helpful, thanks..luke

Glad I can help, I hope you enjoy your new pen for years to come.

Nice review, and spot on.

I've used a '95 Sonnet as my daily writer for years and my experience mirrors yours.

The pen you have is from the 1998 color and finish re-spin of the Sonnet line.

Your finish is called Deep Blue Laque. There was also a green and a red version.

Congrats on a great pen and thanks for the review.

AJ

Thank you for identifying this pen for me! I do have a red one that I've gotten elsewhere in a lesser condition.

I have a Parker Sonnet which I feel is a quality pen and I always enjoy writing with this pen. It always writes right away as soon as I put it to paper. I use Waterman ink, as I like its flow qualities.

Mine has wine red lacquer with gold trimmings and the barrel has a good heft. It's got a fine point, gold nib which wrote straight out of the box. The nib is screw-on, so it's very easy to clean. What I also like is that the cap is clip-on and holds tight. If I were to complain a bit, the cap clips on a bit too tight.

I'm glad you like your pen, I considered the clip's tightness, and I find I like it actually!

Edited by Miadhawk

The little things really count.

• 3 years later...

I saw this pen model with GT and (probably) gold plated steel nib for sale online for 35 euros. Is that a good deal? Looks unused with original box and papers. Don't know if it has the converter and don't know nib size as well but looks like a fine or medium.

Thank you for the review...

What did you not like in the Parker 51.. the balance ??

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Nice review. I found that most Sonnets I tried worked OK if I used them daily. There's nothing wrong with the nibs, because I put some of them in other pens and the performance was quite good. Sonnet inner caps might cause some drying out. I hope they fix this. I have about twenty-five Sonnets, and I like the look and feel of them. When I want to use one, it will be the only pen I use until the ink runs out, and used this way it's fine.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I saw this pen model with GT and (probably) gold plated steel nib for sale online for 35 euros. Is that a good deal? Looks unused with original box and papers. Don't know if it has the converter and don't know nib size as well but looks like a fine or medium.

This seems like a good price but apparently there are many Sonnet fakes, do a search on ebay and rank by price to see what I mean... If it's very cheap, comes from China and isn't in a standard Sonnet colour... Watch out.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

This seems like a good price but apparently there are many Sonnet fakes, do a search on ebay and rank by price to see what I mean... If it's very cheap, comes from China and isn't in a standard Sonnet colour... Watch out.

Tnx but I know about the fakes. This one looks real with original box and papers.

https://olx.pt/anuncio/caneta-tinta-permanente-parker-IDzrf33.html

• 1 month later...

Having used two 75's from the early '70s when the Sonnet came out in '94 I liked it enough to where I bought a black one w/18k m nib. It had a similar feel as my 75's so when i saw the Cisele sterling model I picked up one !! Both of my Sonnets have worked flawlessly since then and I like the older thin cap lipped version of the ;94 pen over the newer versions with the wider cap lip bands. But that's just my preference ! :D :D