The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Sonnet Review

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Miadhawk

Miadhawk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:48

The Parker Sonnet seems to a popular pen, with both positive and negative press it seems, a nice pen available in several finishes and trims, the 2nd in line of Parker's current lineup dubbed "The Writers Pen"

Here is some basic info about my specific pen:

Nib Size: F
Finish: Lacquer
Trim: Gold Plate

Appearance and Design: 8/10:
This is the odd part about the pen, its a blue pen with different shades in loose stripes, even as dark as black The gold trim accents it very well, this is a pen that I can't see everyone liking, its attractive, but not too bright, which I like.

Posted Image
DSC00458 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSC00459 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Construction and Quality: 9/10
I'm taking points off as the snap on cap feels a little weird, but firm when the pen is being capped. The quality is great however, some seem to have bad experiences with the pen drying out in a few hours, or overnight, but I have experienced no such issue, its traveled faithfully with me, clipped to a pocket, ready for use in a moments notice, and ink comes out as soon as the pen hits paper.

Weight and Dimensions: 10/10
I feel like Parker really put some thought into this one, I don't like the weight/balance of the Parker 45,51,Urban, and IM, but i do like it on this one. It feels nice in the hand, not heavy by any means, but substantial, like its worth something. The dimensions are great too, on the smaller side of the fountain pen world, but with a large grip section its comfortable.

Nib and Performance: 8/10

I'll be honest, its not my favorite nib, but I have to give credit where credit is due, this nib is fantastically smooth out of the box, and is on the drier side of things as well. The "fine" nib I've got is certainly a western fine, the steel gold nib is very nice to look at, someday I might upgrade to a gold italic nib, but that day is not here yet.The nib doesn't skip or have any issues starting, no complaints, just that I prefer a wetter nib.

Posted Image
DSC00461 by miadhoque, on Flickr

Filling System and Maintenance 7/10

I don't like converters that much, but this one works well, and given the dry nib, will suffice, converter is smooth and draws ink well, no issues, just preference at it again, maybe the Visconti double reservoir has spoiled me :embarrassed_smile: The nib is removable should you wish to interchange it with another or for cleaning.

Cost and Value: 9/10

A solid performer that looks good and isn't a wallet buster, i like this pen a good lot, it comes in a variety of options and looks and feels nice.

Conclusion:

Would I recommend this pen? Yes I would and I have, a friend of mine has a steel gold trimmed version and she loves it. I hope other owners feel the same way.

Posted Image
DSC00462 by miadhoque, on Flickr
The little things really count.

Sponsored Content

#2 whych

whych

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:06

The nibs are a bit hit and miss. Some of the steel fine nibs are a pain to get going while others are great.
The quality control on the gold italics isn't what it should be. There was a guy on ebay Germany that did OM steel nibs for under 10 Euro that are probably a better bet.
The normal gold nibs are fine to use.
Unlike Pelikan, the gold and steel nibs are the same thickness.
PM me if you want to do a trade or swap on a gold nib.

#3 11lukeball

11lukeball

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:09

nice review mate! i have a sonnet on the way so this was really helpful, thanks..luke

#4 Amberjack

Amberjack

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:19

Nice review, and spot on.

I've used a '95 Sonnet as my daily writer for years and my experience mirrors yours.

The pen you have is from the 1998 color and finish re-spin of the Sonnet line.
Your finish is called Deep Blue Laque. There was also a green and a red version.

Congrats on a great pen and thanks for the review.

AJ
Letter Writers Alliance

#5 firefinch

firefinch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:52

I have a Parker Sonnet which I feel is a quality pen and I always enjoy writing with this pen. It always writes right away as soon as I put it to paper. I use Waterman ink, as I like its flow qualities.

Mine has wine red lacquer with gold trimmings and the barrel has a good heft. It's got a fine point, gold nib which wrote straight out of the box. The nib is screw-on, so it's very easy to clean. What I also like is that the cap is clip-on and holds tight. If I were to complain a bit, the cap clips on a bit too tight.

#6 Miadhawk

Miadhawk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 21:19

The nibs are a bit hit and miss. Some of the steel fine nibs are a pain to get going while others are great.
The quality control on the gold italics isn't what it should be. There was a guy on ebay Germany that did OM steel nibs for under 10 Euro that are probably a better bet.
The normal gold nibs are fine to use.
Unlike Pelikan, the gold and steel nibs are the same thickness.
PM me if you want to do a trade or swap on a gold nib.

I will be in contact, thanks!

nice review mate! i have a sonnet on the way so this was really helpful, thanks..luke

Glad I can help, I hope you enjoy your new pen for years to come.

Nice review, and spot on.

I've used a '95 Sonnet as my daily writer for years and my experience mirrors yours.

The pen you have is from the 1998 color and finish re-spin of the Sonnet line.
Your finish is called Deep Blue Laque. There was also a green and a red version.

Congrats on a great pen and thanks for the review.

AJ

Thank you for identifying this pen for me! I do have a red one that I've gotten elsewhere in a lesser condition.

I have a Parker Sonnet which I feel is a quality pen and I always enjoy writing with this pen. It always writes right away as soon as I put it to paper. I use Waterman ink, as I like its flow qualities.

Mine has wine red lacquer with gold trimmings and the barrel has a good heft. It's got a fine point, gold nib which wrote straight out of the box. The nib is screw-on, so it's very easy to clean. What I also like is that the cap is clip-on and holds tight. If I were to complain a bit, the cap clips on a bit too tight.

I'm glad you like your pen, I considered the clip's tightness, and I find I like it actually!

Edited by Miadhawk, 02 December 2012 - 22:36.

The little things really count.

#7 jctsoares

jctsoares

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2016 - 23:23

I saw this pen model with GT and (probably) gold plated steel nib for sale online for 35 euros. Is that a good deal? Looks unused with original box and papers. Don't know if it has the converter and don't know nib size as well but looks like a fine or medium.

#8 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2016 - 00:19

Thank you for the review...
What did you not like in the Parker 51.. the balance ??

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#9 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2016 - 00:56

Nice review.  I found that most Sonnets I tried worked OK if I used them daily.  There's nothing wrong with the nibs, because I put some of them in other pens and the performance was quite good.  Sonnet inner caps might cause some drying out.  I hope they fix this.  I have about twenty-five Sonnets, and I like the look and feel of them.  When I want to use one, it will be the only pen I use until the ink runs out, and used this way it's fine. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#10 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 17:10

I saw this pen model with GT and (probably) gold plated steel nib for sale online for 35 euros. Is that a good deal? Looks unused with original box and papers. Don't know if it has the converter and don't know nib size as well but looks like a fine or medium.

This seems like a good price but apparently there are many Sonnet fakes, do a search on ebay and rank by price to see what I mean... If it's very cheap, comes from China and isn't in a standard Sonnet colour... Watch out.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#11 jctsoares

jctsoares

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:01

This seems like a good price but apparently there are many Sonnet fakes, do a search on ebay and rank by price to see what I mean... If it's very cheap, comes from China and isn't in a standard Sonnet colour... Watch out.

Tnx but I know about the fakes. This one looks real with original box and papers.
https://olx.pt/anunc...er-IDzrf33.html

#12 Monbla

Monbla

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:13

Having used two 75's from the early '70s when the Sonnet came out in '94 I liked it enough to where I bought a black one w/18k m nib. It had a similar feel as my 75's so when i saw the Cisele sterling model I picked up one !! Both of my Sonnets have worked flawlessly since then and I like the older thin cap lipped version of the ;94 pen over the newer versions with the wider cap lip bands. But that's just my preference !  :D  :D 

Sponsored Content

|