• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xaltotun

• chiaroscuro

• Lloyd

• JonSzanto

/So, on my way to an interview in an hour, I'm stoping at a dealer to pick up a Kaweco Sport... Back to basics it is! I am also waiting to purchase a custom-made Franklin-Christoph later in December (black with red finial), for my collection and for writing at home. Will probably pick up some Passaportos after that, in a few months.

You know....I hate to say this, but, I was saying to myself....he's going to end up with a Kaweco Sport ... :rolleyes:

How do I know this? Simple, I have ordered a Kaweco Sport on the strength of this thread..... :headsmack:

Forgot to add: Thank you for updating the thread on how things turned out :thumbup:

Edited by 51ISH

You know....I hate to say this, but, I was saying to myself....he's going to end up with a Kaweco Sport ... :rolleyes:

How do I know this? Simple, I have ordered a Kaweco Sport on the strength of this thread..... :headsmack:

Well, yes, they are addictive. I have trouble liking other FP as daily writers. I have all sort in the "collection" however.

Say, am I the only one to have FPs "to keep in the collection" in unused condition as "collectables," alongside FPs that are actually used to write? Kinda crazy! So the Liliput went to be kept as a collectable (I really LOVE the design, as I wrote puddle.gif) and I bought a Sport.

Forgot to add: Thank you for updating the thread on how things turned out :thumbup:

My pleasure; this is what is fun in the forums. In fact, I am going to update it here some more: I bought a second Kaweco Sport Aluminum Red Jubilee limited edition! Can you believe this! lticaptd.gifThe store owner gave me the clip as a courtesy which was a nice touch. I got it very very close to the price that I paid to my German dealer, so it was a great deal (as a contrast, the plastic Sports were too expensive, close to twice as much as when ordered online or through my dealer).

Now the funny thing is, I do have a matching set of FP / Pencil / Pen of the Kaweco Sport AL Red Jubilee limited edition model (check my pic in the OP), but those are kept as collectable in my "permanent" collection. Today I bought a second FP to use as a writer. Yes, I'm weird like that... I make a difference between my "collection" and my "writers".

Anyway, I figure that I baby my writers so much that if, later, I want to change for something else, I'll be easily able to flip it for something else. This one is still going to be in perfect condition in a year or so, so it's a choice that will keep its value. Later, I will be able to sell it and choose another "writer" if the mood strikes me. Or maybe I'll just keep it as a writer for the foreseeable future, who knows...

So, to recap I:

- sold my Kaweco Sport AL black (it annoyed me when posted, the "feeling" of the cap was not right) mellow.gif

- racked my brains to find another daily writer, and ended up buying a Kaweco Liliput. It went, instead, in the "permanent" collection

- fell in love with the Dietrich x Düller Fountain Pen and bought one for the "permanent" collection

- fell in love with the Franklin-Christoph Model 40PO and ordered one custom made for me (also thinking about another, green, for later in 2013)

- fell in love with the Tombow Zoom 101 Carbon (future purchase in the next few months, the previous order fell through)

- ended up back to square one with a Kaweco AL Sport Aluminum Red Jubilee limited edition (this one posts perfectly; maybe it's because of the carbon inlays, they may be making the cap "stick" better)

This is definitively close to OCD!!!! laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back at the OP's original post, I feel the need to put in a :thumbup: for the Ohto Rook. I bought one and liked it so much I bought another. It writes nicely, the cap is very secure, and at least with the J. Herbin cartridges I've used with it, it wasn't too dry a writer. It's REALLY tiny, and as such isn't necessarily the best for long stretches of writing, as even for my smallish hands it can induce some minor hand cramps. But both pens wrote surprisingly well straight away; I didn't flush either one before use and didn't have any issues, except that one of them needed to have the nib moved ever so slightly to line up with the feed. One of the two is every so slightly scratchy and occasionally a bit of a hard starter, but that mostly only happened 1) if I left the cap off and thought too long about what I was doing next or 2) I got close to the end of a cartridge. They were my first two fountain pens, and while I think I'll probably sell one of them, I'm definitely going to keep at least one in my collection. The portability can't be beat, and neither can the price.

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

You should give the Düller a chance. At first it felt weird to me, especially how it posts, but after a while it "clicked/melded/synced" (what have you) with my hand (or vice-versa) and now it's one of my favorite daily writers. The clip also softened up with use.

Recently, I replaced the nib with a nearly-identical but smaller Schmidt I got from indy-pen-dance.com (http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/schmidt-gold-plated-nib-feed.html). It's apparently a lower-end version of Schmidt's default nib, with a simpler feed, but it fit perfectly and writes slightly finer. The pen has never been better (the original nib was super-smooth, but too broad and it skipped and was hard-starting because of a "baby's bottom").

[i essentially "renovated" a bunch of pens and let's just say my Kaweco ALs are not getting much attention. 1) I put a Kaweco AL F nib on the A.G.'s original feed and it works phenomenally -- but YMMV, as I had previously tried this on the Düller and it didn't work so well. It's now essentially a super wet-writing liliput with a clip. The body feels so solid and it looks great -- although the section is very thin, so I don't use it for extended writing. 2) I replaced the TWSBI Mini nib with one of the new Jowo EF nibs and it's neither smooth nor scratchy but the line is perfect -- much thinner than the original EF nib. I'm really starting to appreciate the Mini a lot, especially the dimensions, how it posts and the ease of swapping out inks quickly. 3) I got my first Pelikan, a 1980's m100 -- small but not "mini" -- and I'm loving it. 4) I had dropped the Kaweco Guilloche on it's nib, so I swapped it for the EF I had on my first plastic Sport. I still can't get over that big seam on the barrel, though.

Conclusion: +1 for nib swapping, +1 for Kaweco nibs and +1 for compact daily writers]

- fell in love with the Franklin-Christoph Model 40PO and ordered one custom made for me (also thinking about another, green, for later in 2013)

This is definitively close to OCD!!!!

Has your 40PO arrived yet? I'd really like to see a review or first impressions of this, especially compared to a Kaweco sport or Twsbi mini.

I suggest you try a Bexley Jitterbug with the neat 1950's pen clip. I was lucky and purchased a prototype with bold nib from Richard Binder. My avatar includes a picture.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 3 months later...

I have a TWSBI 540 with a Medium nib. I left it in a drawer, full of baystate blue, for 6 months. I finally picked it up again; it skipped on the first letter but then wrote like a champ after that. that's a good seal.

so I've now been constantly carrying it in my pocket for about three weeks now. I put it in my pocket tip-up, but while driving, it's mildly pointed tip down. I kept it in my pocket during the two six-hour drives from phoenix to san diego and back. elevation varied on that drive from 1600 ft, to sea level, up to 4000 ft, then back down to sea level.

the TWSBI has never burped any ink. the cap has never come off in my pocket. it writes nice and wetly every time. and I've gotten more "cool pen!" comments with it than any other pen, too.

perfect pocket pen for me. I'd guess the mini would be equally as good, as well as being a little smaller.