The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ultrasonic Cleaner And Celluloid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 64alex

64alex

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:19

I have a beautiful Montegrappa eternal bird in celluloid and silver. The silver is a little bit tarnished and need cleaning which is difficult to be accomplished with a jewerly cloth in view of the intricate pattern of the silver sculpture. I was thinking about using an ultrasonic cleaner but I am very worried to damage the celluloid. So what is the best way to clean the silver portion of a pen which has celluloid? Any experience with ultrasonic cleaners?
Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:57

Take care.

See the picture below.

See the pen in Doug's hand (on the left) and the pen in Bert's hand (on the right). Both pens started life as cream and black like the pen on the left. The pen on the right is now a stunning blue and black after a spin in the ultrasonic cleaner to 'clean' off dried ink. Celluloid is porous.
Posted Image

2019 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 23-25th, 2019
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#3 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:58

Hi,

I haven't had any problems with an ultrasonic cleaner and celluloid, but I recommend cleaning out the pen first first with a soak and water to get rid of residue before using an ultrasonic cleaner. I use the ultrasonic cleaner to remove any residue that does not come off with other methods, and it has made my clear celluloid windows clearer by removing caked on deposits and deposited dirt films.

I'm always wary of the celluloid shown in the picture above. It requires some more care. Some inks from the time period stain very aggressively and will attack celluloid and other materials like that if they are put in the same place in an ultrasonic cleaner. One should also make sure to use a good cleaning solution. Take care when using an ultrasonic leader, especially with pens with inlays among other things. (Inlaid nibs are usually fine though.)

Dillon

Edited by Dillo, 25 November 2012 - 22:00.

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#4 64alex

64alex

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:51

Let me better explain. The pen has never been used and so the celluloid is pristine, there is no need to clean the celluloid nor there is any ink stain anywhere in the pen. The problem is that the silver sculpture is a little bit tarnished and if you know the complicate silver sculpture of the Montegrappa Eternal Bird it is very difficult to polish the silver in all the areas with a jeweler cloth. So the real problem is how to clean the silver without damaging the celluloid (and it looks the ultrasonic cleaner which should be able to clean the silver could damage the celluloid which as I said is pristine).

#5 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:44

Hi,

The celluloid should be fine. According to my recollection, there are only a few colors of celluloid that one needs to be careful with in an ultrasonic cleaner, and this is partly due to the way those colors seem to stain or be porous. I haven't had those problems any other celluloid pens that I have had.

That said, I'm not sure if that will polish the silver much if at all.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo, 28 November 2012 - 04:45.

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#6 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:46

I like a little patina to my silver.
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Sponsored Content

|