Pilot 90Th Raden-Toki

rokurinpapa

[Pilot 90th Anniversary Pen Limited Edition ]

[brief introduction] This is my 10th pen review in English. I have reached the 10th while I am

not aware of it. It means that I have completely fallen into a bottomless swamp named fountain

pens in the course of a short period.

Pilot launched 3 kinds of Limited Edition fountain pens in 2008 to commemorate the 90th

Anniversary of its Foundation(1918). Let me introduce them according to the value of the price.

The first: "Toki", it means a Japanese crested ibis. Only 90 pieces were produced all over the world.

They are oversized genuine Maki-e fountain pens and the list price is 1200 thousand yen.

The second: "Raden-Toki", the details of which I will introduce in this review, 900 pieces in the

world(700 for Japanese market, 200 for overseas), the list price, 120 thousand yen. The last:

M90, 9000 pieces in the world, the list price, 12 thousand yen. I think that the number of the

production is associated with the 90th Anniversary.

To my interest, the list price multiplied by the number in every pen makes the same 108

million yen. I do not know if Pilot would suggest some meaning for this number, but in Japan

in general 108 is received as the symbol of "Bonnoh", that is Buddhist term in Japanese

meaning "earthly desires", under the influence of Buddhism. Many fountain pen lovers in

Japan express their mind that is full of irrepressible urge for fountain pens as Bonnoh with

wry smiles because they cannot be prevented from wanting to get fountain pens as if they

were cast into the Avici hell1 and suffered from limitless thirst. Pilot must be an awesome

company if they hide their desire that they wish to let people buy fountain pens by

arousing the Bonnoh for fountain pens.

Japan has become aging society rapidly and from the point of the distribution of wealth in

the whole society, senior citizens class is gathering wealth with a lack of balance. Therefore

it is important that we let them consume for the sake of Japanese economic growth, but

generally speaking they are thrifty persons and eager to make money before consuming. So,

if I mention fountain pens, fountain pens that have good efficiency not only as function of

writing instruments but also such attractiveness as arouse the Bonnoh of persons with

extensive experience in life, are needed in order to loosen their tight purse strings. Once such

charming pens exist, senior citizens must buy them even if they are rather expensive. Pilot

that focus on the Bonnoh must remain secure when they reach their 100th Anniversary.

The first "Toki" is not a practical writing instrument for me even if it is a work of art, so it is

absolutely not my object to be bought. Mind you, in the first place I can not have enough

money to do so. The last M90 is a relatively reasonably priced pen. I have highly appreciated

Pilot efforts that they released this sort of anniversary pen. I bought 5 M90s until now and 3

were given as gifts, 1 was sold. I think M90 is one of the best gifts for fountain pen beginners

that have become familiar with ballpoint pens. So the balance of the account now is 1 M90 that

I have. I am surely going to want to have another M90 in the end although I do not need to do

so when I happen to find M90 for sale. Of course, in fact, I can now hardly find them as the

production was finished and the supply to the distributors became broken after the accumulation

of the output, of which quotas was to make 1000 pieces a month, reached to the upper limit,

9000.2 A puzzling question is middle "Raden-Toki". It is not so cheep as to be bought without

hesitation. But it is not impossible for me to buy it, even if it is quite tough. When the advance

order began to be accepted, I finally subscribed a Raden-Toki in a fountain pen shop after

much hesitation and started to save up enough money. But after that I found that it did not

enjoy tumultuous popularity and it did not seem to be sold out immediately. Furthermore I

started to think a Raden-Toki as a just plain and boring pen while I looked at the picture that

appeared in the propaganda brochure again and again. The list price is the same as that of

Pilot 85th. But the body of the 85th was made of silver925 while the 90th was made of brass.

So I began to feel strongly that the 90th was comparatively high in price. On second thoughts,

I decided to see how things would move and cancelled the order for such above-mentioned

reasons finally.3 I was to have come to a final conclusion there. But the Raden-Toki was

released at last and I looked at the original in a shop window. Silver powder in the center of

the body shined soberly and both ends glittered with prismatic colors, against such a deep

black as the dark surface of the water, not jet-black. The original looked better than the picture

and I was deeply moved! In those days, a mint Raden-Toki was put up for sale at Yahoo auction

and I bid involuntarily. After all the Toki soaring over the glittering surface of the water came

flying closer to my hands in these details.

I think the basic design as a fountain pen is quite similar to that of the 85th Anniversary pen.

So I have decided to try telling you the beauty of this pen incorporating the comparison between

this 90th and the 85th properly.

1 108 is said to be a number of earthly desires by that a person is troubled and it is a custom to

ring temple bells 108 times to send out the old year as "Joya no kane", that is, "the New Yesr's

Eve bells" on the last day of the year in Japan. It is understood that the custom is symbolical

behavior to repudiate all earthly desires. " The Avici hell" is thought to be the eighth and most

painful of the eight hells in Buddhism.

*2 I asked a pen doctor if they have a plan to produce M90 additionally when I went to a Pilot

pen clinic, he answered me that it was impossible that they would produce more M90 as it

was limited pen.

*3 I posted the review of Pilot85 under these situations. Therefore I stated that Pilot 90th

Raden-Toki would be less appreciated than Pilot85. But I have changed my mind. I am now

deeply crazy about the 90th.

1 First Impressions (9/10) –The smallish, exclusive box that the pen was in is made of

paulownia wood, of which shape is such a octagon as a rectangle of which apexes are cut off,

gives off an air of extravagance with elegant appearance. When I opened the box, there were

the pen, a special heptagonal bottle of Pilot black ink with the figure of flapping "Toki"

imprinted on the cap and a special label sticked, papers(booklet, a guarantee and so on) and

the 90th commemorative metal plate on which the serial number was engraved ,against the

background of refined blue stand like the color of early summer. The stand where the pen was

put is removable and under it, there was a black leather pen sheath. The hinge, made of wood,

is elaborately built. A Japanese style neat scene based on blue and black against whitish,

unpainted wood appears before us without excessive decorations. But non- Japanese style

(Chinese style?) polygonal shape is used as for the formation. My sensibility was stimulated

delicately. I think this is pretty amazing staging that makes us feel a premonition of dramatic

development in quiet circumstances. The first impression about the pen would be rather plain

and it would be difficult to understand the virtues at first glance compared with Pilot 85th. But

once you take the pen in your hand, you will have a real feeling that it is made properly and it

is a splendid piece of workmanship. A combination of black urushi and silver in the cap band,

sober reflection of silver powder spreading around there, glittering of raden concentrating on

both ends of the pen, which I gazed at thoroughly, I was covered by the movement that this

beauty was not ordinary. The comments that the 85th was gaudy were sent in the review of the

85th, but I thought that this pen have no relation to such comments.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2090th/P1040048-1.jpg

2 Appearance & Design (10/10) - The motif of this pen is above-mentioned Toki ,that is,

Japanese crested ibis. Why? Pilot explain that they superimposed the flying of Toki in the

blue sky on their thoughts to achieve a still greater things towards 100th Anniversary and

they hoped our environment would be inhabitable for Toki when they reach their 100th

Anniversary.*4 Toki are considered as one of the birds to represent Japan as you may guess

from the binomial name*5, but they are reduced extremely and designated as an endangered

species to our regret. Tackling for the breeding has been in force till now, especially the trial to

return captive Tokis to the wild has been done in autumn of the year when Pilot reached their

90th birthday, and many Japanese people have watched the outcome of the trial holding their

breath. I assume that Toki is considered as a suitable theme of the 90th Anniversary from the

point of both the substance and the proper occasion while there has been a lot of growing interest

in environmental affairs, and also as a suitable subject matter of Maki-e. By the way, in the "Toki",

more expensive one at 1200 thousand yen, a figure of flying Tokis whose color is white with a tinge

of vermilion is expressed but I think that there is a big gap between the figure and the Pilot's

explanation: flying Toki in the blue sky. The design of "Raden-Toki" is based on black tone. But the

color has faint brightness and the both ends seem to express the shining of the surface of the water

by the reflected light of the sun. So I think the pen perhaps expresses Tokis flying above the surface

of the river at dawn. The situation of the Tokis is made a design of in a small way on the capband in

silver. I do not think it is the image of flying Toki in the blue sky but I think it is a superb work of

design.

The shape of the pen is so-called vest type, the top and the bottom is both flat and the shape is

cylindrical, resembles that of the Pilot 70th and 85th Anniversary pen. As referred to earlier in

these pens' reviews, perhaps that shape is symbolically important for Pilot because it is the shape

of the first pen ,all of which is produced by Pilot's own efforts in their history.

The material of the body is brass and black urushi is coated on it. Silver powder and raden*6

were sprinkled using making full use of Togidashi-Maki-e*7 technique.

Basic black color of this body is not jet-black, but delicate coloring that makes me feel a subtle

brightness and is beautiful with depth and sophistication.

Silver powder was used over the capband. The nearer to the capband, the more the density

increases, the more distant to the capband, the more the density decreases. Size of the powder

is very fine and it looks like a mist. Raden was used on both ends of the pen. The nearer to the

ends, the more the density increases and the bigger the pieces of the raden are.

The capband is wide and made of sterling siver on which urushi was coated. 2 Tokis flying

above the waves are expresed by cast technique and urushi togidashi technique.The color of the

black urushi is jet black literally, the black is conspicuously black and design by silver emerges

clearly. Thus sharp contrast between jet black and silver in the center of the pen makes us build

up feelings of tension and makes the whole pen tighten. The grip section is black resin. It is

rational that the grip section is made of resin because it is liable to be stained with ink.

The design of the clip is the same Kikuza style*8 as used in Pilot 75th. This is reproduced

design that was adopted for a lot of Pilot products in the second half of 1930's. The color of the

clip is silver, so it has achieved unity of color tone in the whole body of the pen. Serial number

(***/900)is impressed on the shoulder of the clip.

The color of the nib is, of course, silver and original design with a motif of Toki's wings and

"90" is impressed on it.

If you gaze into this pen, you will find that this pen was made elaborately with close attention

to details. The surface of the body is smooth with no unevenness. I think that it was coated and

polished many times.

When the cap is tightened fully, the same part comes surely under the clip owing to precise

process of the thread. Cushioning material like felting is attached inside the cap. It is good ways

not to make scratches when the body is capped.

A creator of Maki-e of the "Toki" is Mr. Yasunori Sakamoto, but this "Raden-Toki" bears no

signature. So I think Japanese urushi lacquer artists group "Kokkokai"*9 created these in

a group.

*4 According to the booklet attached, the explanation is as follows:              

"Toki(Japanese Crested Ibis)"

Soaring into Eternity, the Toki Carries the Spirit of Japan

Binomial name : Nipponia nippon*5 ; the Japanese Crested Ibis or Toki, is a bird so

fundamental to Japan that it is even mentioned in the Nihon Shoki(The Chronicles

of Japan), the second oldest book of classical Japanese history. The book, completed in

720 AD, is widely recognized as the most complete historical record of ancient Japan.

As its name implies, the Toki is the representative bird of Japan. Its uniquely colored

vermilion skin is often called, "Toki-red". In the sunlight, it is said to glisten in an

indescribably beautiful brilliant golden color.

In 1981, wild Toki disappeared from the skies of Japan. However, in 1999, on Sado Island,

in the Chubu region of Niigata Prefecture, a baby chick was successfully hatched for the

first time using artificial incubation. Their numbers have now increased to the extent that

an effort to return them to the wild will be attempted this fall.

The 90th Anniversary Commemorative Fountain Pens were created using the Toki motif.

The selection of these designs expresses both our hope for the future as we look forward to

celebrating our 100th Anniversary, and our hopes to once again see the Toki perform on its

own stage, the skies over Japan.

At present, environmental problems impacting the Toki's survival remain a serious threat.

However, as we strive toward our 100th Anniversary, we will continue to strive to restore the

environment, making it a place suitable for the Toki to thrive once again.

The "Toki" 90th Anniversary Commemorative Fountain Pens are exquisitely crafted using

Japanese Maki-e techniques, such as Togidashi Taka(Burnished raisec) Maki-e, Rankaku

(Egg Shell), and Raden(Mother-of-Pearl). We hope you will enjoy using these very special

fountain pens for many years to come.

*5 "Nippon" means Japan in Japanese.

*6  Craftsmen cut the thin layer that was peeled off from the inside surface stratum of various

shells such as turban, trumpet and ear shaped shell etc. into small pieces. Then they coat the

pieces with urushi lacquer to secure them in place and finish them by burnishing them to

reveal the designs.

*7 Craftsmen paint the design with urushi lacquer on the base coated with oilless black

urushi lacquer and sprinkle gold or silver powder etc. Then they cover the body completely

with a coating of urushi lacquer after removing the excessive powder and drying and they

burnish the lacquer with charcoal to reveal the designs after drying.

*8 Kikuza means the design after a flower of chrysanthemum. It had come into wide use

for ornaments of armors and helmets from old times in Japan.

*9 A Maki-e artisans group organaized by the late Mr. Gonroku Matsuda who was invited

into Pilot in Taisho15(1926). Afterward he became the highest authorities on the Maki-e

technique nicknamed as "patron saint of urushi lacquer" and became "Living National

Treasure". He was the namer of Kokkokai. "Kokko" means national glory and "kai" means

a group. He believed that Maki-e must be the glory of his nation like sumo wrestling that is

the national sport of Japan.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2090th/P1040064.jpg

upper: 90th lower:85th

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2090th/P1040065.jpg

upper:90th lower:85th

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2090th/P1040072.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2090th/P1040070.jpg

3 Weight & Dimensions (10/10) – The length of this pen is almost the same but a little longer

that Pilot 85th,measuring 138mm long capped, 126mm uncapped and 166mm posted. The

diameter of the cap is 15mm long and that of the barrel is 12mm. I think many people feel that

it fits their hands when posted but a little short when unposted. It weighs 39g with con-70 converter

full of ink, and I feel comfortable, not too heavy nor too light.

4 Nib & Performance (10/10) – This pen comes with a 18kt rhodium plated monotone M nib (As

other sizes F or B nibs were available.). By the way, regarding the size of nibs, F nibs (that is,

Japanese standard F, not western standard F) are most popular as practical use for many purposes

in Japan, and the second choice is M nibs. The reason is that fine writers are needed not to break

complicated Chinese characters when we take notes in Japanese. On the contrary fountain pens

lovers tend to like broad writers that have pleasant taste of writing, so F nibs are usually not

provided for expensive anniversary pens. Pilot are conscious of practical use obviously considering

F nibs were prepared for these luxurious fountain pens though some pens coated by urushi like

these were intended only for decorative purposes. I do not know how much they distribute the share

among F, M and B nibs, but I have heard that Raden-Toki with F nibs were sold out in no time.

This shows that there were many people who really poured ink into their pens and wrote with them

actually, not for decorative purposes.

The size of the nib is No.10 of Pilot that are attached to Custom 742, Bamboo, Custom Maple and

so on. The feeder is semitranslucent. The nib design was specially made, imprinting the design to

be made from Toki's wings and "ANNIVERSARY 90". And the nib is bended under. Regarding the

taste of it, it is very smooth, besides very flexible, but taking a firm stand like Pilot85's nib. The

width of the line it puts down is practical. The flow of ink is moderate or just a bit wet. So it will be

the best pen when we write letters feeling unhurried.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2090th/P1040066.jpg

right: 90th left: 85th

5 Filling System (9/10) – It comes with a Pilot Con-70 converter that is a Push Button type

and holds most ink among Pilot converters (otherCon-20, Con-50). It is very easy to fill it up with

ink. This Con-70 converter is the black type for high end pens. Of course, Pilot cartridges can also

be used.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%2090th/P1040068.jpg

6 Cost & Value (8/10) - The list price was 120,000 yen (+6,000yen, with consumption tax) in Japan,

about $1,500 at current rate. Of course this price is not cheap, but an opinon can be expressed that the

price is reasonable as a craftwork coated by urushi. But the list price is the same as Pilot 85th and I

thought the price was comparatively high as far as I can tell from the materials and processing efforts

about Pilot 85th.So I gave up getting this pen at first. But I found a Raden-Toki put up for sale at

Yahoo auction. I bid for the pen instinctively unable to resist the magnetism of Raden-Toki and I

happened to make a successful bid. Now I am satisfied with the result.

7 Conclusion (Final score[56]: 9.3)- I think this pen's nature is similar as Pilot 85th, that is,

Maki-e pen to answer the purpose of both utility and decoration within our reach, not too

expensive. Now in Japan, some Raden- Tokis remains unsold in some fountain pen shops in spite

of its relatively small number of production, 900. Compared with Pilot 85th, I think this pen is

rather inconspicuous and is made of less amount of silver. This pen does not enjoy tumultuous

popularity and the result of your acquisition may not be proved fruitful as a next investment.

But when you come across this pen at your side, you will be able to feel it fascinating like oxidized

silver. No 10 nib of this pen is a good piece of work with soft taste of writing. I believe that you will

never regret your acquisition of this Raden-Toki.

Edited by rokurinpapa

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokurinpapa

• goldenkrishna

• Namo

• breaker

Dear Rokurinpapa, it is a pleasure to read this review, like all your previous reviews. Thank you for sharing the background information that is otherwise not available. Wonderful.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

An exacting review of an astounding pen! Very nice! :D

Thank you for your comment. I think I should reflect on my review.

There may be a lot of redundancy in my review and it becomes unintelligible.

rokurinpapa

Hello rokurinpapa,

Thanks for this exhaustive review. It brings me a little closer to Pilot.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

I have posted the pictures of an array of Pilot anniversary pens here.

rokurinpapa

I looked at them and like them, except for the black one. A great line up.

Will there be more added to your respectable collection?

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

I have posted the pictures of an array of Pilot anniversary pens here.

rokurinpapa

I looked at them and like them, except for the black one. A great line up.

Will there be more added to your respectable collection?

With love,

goldenkrishna

Next year 2013 is Pilot 's 95th anniversary year. So I am looking forward to seeing the anniversary pen.

What is "the black one" ? How do you dislike it ?

rokurinpapa

Next year 2013 is Pilot 's 95th anniversary year. So I am looking forward to seeing the anniversary pen.

What is "the black one" ? How do you dislike it ?

rokurinpapa

I meant the black ones in the middle. I don't like black FPs. Till now the one made by 'paladiumfountainpen' is the only exception.

Well I hope for you that the 95th ann. year edition will be a stunner.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Edited by goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 9 months later...