The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Esterbrook 2048 Writing Sample

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:05

Just took the plunge into Esterbrook land with a green J 2048 NOS beauty. I am hoping the nib suits me and was wondering if anyone could please post a writing sample with this nib.

Here's a pic of my future Estie - can't wait!

Posted Image

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

Sponsored Content

#2 pal38

pal38

pastelmaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:24

Congratulations to your marvellous green J Estie which, by the way, you got from one of the finest Estie sellers on the Bay.

Posted Image

(Sorry, I'm not the most gifted of all writers.)

Edited by pal38, 26 November 2012 - 11:26.

swisspenpal

#3 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:40

pal38 -

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this sample. It looks perfect - the line variation and the shading. I don't have any experience with a nib such as this and hope that my efforts with it look half as good as yours.

Regards,
Jack

Fool me twice; damn

#4 pal38

pal38

pastelmaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:02

:embarrassed_smile:
swisspenpal

#5 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:39

Thought I'd post a small sample.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this nib. It does take some getting use to - to properly hold the pen with respect to the paper. If held at an angle it is somewhat scratchy, but if held correctly (parallel to your writing direction) it is fairly smooth.

Some line variation is evident as is flex. The uppermost sentence is slightly more pressure than normal followed by decreasing pressure throughout the cursive section. Printing, numbers and alphabet are normal pressure for me.

Should you opt for this nib, I feel you would enjoy it with a little practice.

Posted Image

Sorry about the smear - I was doing dishes :(

Fool me twice; damn

#6 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 18:35

Hi Jack, that's a great nib you have, and a nice writing sample. I have a 2048 lying somewhere around here, but no writing sample. I did find a writing sample from my 9048 - basically the same nib - and thought I'd show it. I think this may have been posted to a thread a year or so ago, but I can't recall where. I find these nibs to flex with lots of pressure, nowhere near the easy flexibility one might find from a more standard 14k flex nib, but still a pretty darn nice result for a mass produced, removable nib.

Posted Image
Posted Image

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#7 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 21:12

Keep in my Jack that if you haven't already noticed it, the 2048 has no tipping on it at all, not even the usual rolled over and soldered tipping of most of the rest of the 2xxx nibs.

The 9xxx series Flex nibs will be a much nicer writing experience as they all have a proper welded on tip.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#8 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 22:49

Keep in my Jack that if you haven't already noticed it, the 2048 has no tipping on it at all, not even the usual rolled over and soldered tipping of most of the rest of the 2xxx nibs.

The 9xxx series Flex nibs will be a much nicer writing experience as they all have a proper welded on tip.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce is of course correct, the 9xxx pens write smoother. In fact, I found my 2048 and was going to do a writing sample, but it is so sharp it cuts the paper so I can't get anything down on paper to show. I'll try some smoothing and if possible a writing sample, but don't hold your breath. Thanks Bruce for clarifying. :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#9 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:56

i find the 9048 just a tad bit better than the 2048 -nothing extraordinary there. but no, i'm not selling them either :embarrassed_smile: .

#10 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:48

Hm, I have a 2048 too and I can't find a good writing sample at the moment. I get performance like DC did above and it does take some force.

#11 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:01

If they cut the paper now, I must assume paper  was stronger  in the past. Juts  thinking...  Or else why did so many were sold? I am liking my very common 1554 nib but lusting for a stub and a  medium size nib. 

#12 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:46

Congratulations to your marvellous green J Estie which, by the way, you got from one of the finest Estie sellers on the Bay.

And who would that be? Can't make a statement like that and leave all the newbies (like me) wondering who it is.

#13 ArtsNibs

ArtsNibs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:38

I've got four 2048's and they are very fun nibs, BUT, unfortunately kinda scratchy due to the aforementioned lack of tipping.

If you like, send me that puppy and I'll smooth it for you, no charge. You should be able to write with it comfortably at 45 degrees (at the very least).

-Art
@arts_nibs

#14 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 00:34

I've got four 2048's and they are very fun nibs, BUT, unfortunately kinda scratchy due to the aforementioned lack of tipping.

If you like, send me that puppy and I'll smooth it for you, no charge. You should be able to write with it comfortably at 45 degrees (at the very least).

-Art

He will do an extraordinary job of it.  He does beautiful work.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#15 HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB

More color!

• Member - Gold

• 3,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 15:56

-Art

I just got ahold of an Estie with a 2048 nib.  You're exactly right --the nib is very scratchy, and rips into the paper a little more often than I'd like.  I think I'm getting the hang of using it;  it sure produces a gorgeous contrast in line weight!

#16 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 12,875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 00:36

El dia bastante dificil.  Lleno de tonteria.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#17 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:40

And who would that be? Can't make a statement like that and leave all the newbies (like me) wondering who it is.

If I recognized that pic correctly, I believe that seller was Oldretiredperson.  They haven't had pens for sale for sometime now.

Ros7261 and our own TBickiii sometimes have Esties, and when they do, usually very nice ones, but they are well known and their pens

usually bring top dollar.  Ros7261 has set records for the highest close prices for Esterbrook J's ever. Anywhere.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#18 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 12,875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:50

You guys need an actual flexy nib, like a Waterman or something like that.

Sponsored Content

|