How Much Did You Pay For A Nib Exchange?

el.Fakir

I have a few Montblanc pens with M nibs (one 149 and a couple of 146s) that I bought before my nib preference has started leaning towards BBs and Stubs. I wanted to have the nibs changed to BB and OBB and asked my boutique for a quotation.

We are here, in Turkiye, used to paying a premium price for almost everything and yet the price asked by the Montblanc Boutique for changing a perfectly well nib, almost in mint condition, with a different sized nib seemed exorbitant to me;

They asked €200 ($258) for changing a 149 nib and €180 ($232) for a 146 nib.

I wonder what your experiences are on this subject. How much did you pay for a nib exchange and where?

Regards,

Halid

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• el.Fakir

• osnofian

• Pen Nut

• jslallar

I've no experience with MB, but I think they will swap for free within a short time after purchase of a new pen; after that, you pay a lot.

For much less, you could send your pens to a nibmeister who will retip them in the sizes you want. In the US, you could use Greg Minuskin or John Mottishaw. This way, you would get custom nibs.

I don't know the exact prices here, as I refuse to pay for nib exchanges, for obvious reasons... but we'll get to that.

The prices quoted seem "reasonable" in line with MB charges here. As far as I know there are at least three price categories, 146 regular nibs, 149 regular nibs, 146 sized Limited Edition nibs. I was quoted 152GBP for a nib exchange on a standard 146 and 215GBP for a nib exchange on a MB 1993 WE Agatha Christie.

Needless to say I preferred to sell the Christie and buy a different one with the nib I wanted... I spent the same, got what I wanted, and someone got very happy with a cheap Christie from me...

For the 146s, I just bought new ones with different nibs...

I've no experience with MB, but I think they will swap for free within a short time after purchase of a new pen; after that, you pay a lot.

For much less, you could send your pens to a nibmeister who will retip them in the sizes you want. In the US, you could use Greg Minuskin or John Mottishaw. This way, you would get custom nibs.

I wish I was in that 6-weeks time period of free exchange but my pens are all too old for that.

I've heard that Greg Minuskin could do a fine work on re-tipping the nib. The problem is with all those shipping charges between US and Turkiye and plus the cost of Mr.Minuskin's work it may well be up to the point Montblanc has quoted.

Regards,

Halid

I don't know the exact prices here, as I refuse to pay for nib exchanges, for obvious reasons... but we'll get to that.

The prices quoted seem "reasonable" in line with MB charges here. As far as I know there are at least three price categories, 146 regular nibs, 149 regular nibs, 146 sized Limited Edition nibs. I was quoted 152GBP for a nib exchange on a standard 146 and 215GBP for a nib exchange on a MB 1993 WE Agatha Christie.

That's indeed a lot of money to ask for a nib exchange. I mean, they don't even give you back the old nib. :headsmack:

Needless to say I preferred to sell the Christie and buy a different one with the nib I wanted... I spent the same, got what I wanted, and someone got very happy with a cheap Christie from me...

For the 146s, I just bought new ones with different nibs...

There's no doubt that this is the most reasonable thing to do. I should wait for an FPN classifieds ad for a pen with the nib size that I want. The thing is, though, they don't come too often with BB nib. :(

Regards,

Halid

I've been quoted £215 in the past but I've never taken then up of the offer.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I wish I was in that 6-weeks time period of free exchange but my pens are all too old for that.

I've heard that Greg Minuskin could do a fine work on re-tipping the nib. The problem is with all those shipping charges between US and Turkiye and plus the cost of Mr.Minuskin's work it may well be up to the point Montblanc has quoted.

I must say that I do not recommend Mr. Minuskin's work for this sort of job, I did it once, with a non montblanc pen, but the bottom line is. He re-tipped the nib alright, but the feeder is the same from before, and definitely doesn't keep up with the cursive nib I got on it. I like my nib wet. If you want an extremely dry 1.0mm nib, I have a pen for you :)

That's indeed a lot of money to ask for a nib exchange. I mean, they don't even give you back the old nib. :headsmack:

I did not know this. As a Pelikan user I frequently buy extra nibs, which any user can install...AND keep the original nib! :thumbup:

(Patiently waiting for my first Montblanc 146)

I must say that I do not recommend Mr. Minuskin's work for this sort of job, I did it once, with a non montblanc pen, but the bottom line is. He re-tipped the nib alright, but the feeder is the same from before, and definitely doesn't keep up with the cursive nib I got on it. I like my nib wet. If you want an extremely dry 1.0mm nib, I have a pen for you :)

Thank you for the warning. I'll keep this in mind. I also like my nibs wet.

Regards,

Halid

I did not know this. As a Pelikan user I frequently buy extra nibs, which any user can install...AND keep the original nib! :thumbup:

(Patiently waiting for my first Montblanc 146)

Pelikan nib units are not that cheap either but, as you said, at least what you actually pay for is a spare nib that you can change whenever you want. You can then have the luxury of using a single pen as if you had two different pens.

Is it too much to expect to have the same user-friendliness from a fine manufacturer like Montblanc? :hmm1:

Regards,

Halid

The way that Montblanc look at it is that you are buying a brand new gold nib. Gold is currently at an all time high price and it is the most expensive part of a 146 or a 149 so that's why it costs so much.

I wish they could do a trade-in price and possibly keep the old nib so that it could be melted down and reused, or maybe sold on as a used nib, but Montblanc don't do either of those.

Montblanc will exchange a nib that is in perfect condition and indistinguishable from a brand new nib, even after the first 6 weeks have expired. That's why they change nibs on Special Edition pens that are sometimes years old.

You could get something back by selling your used nibs on ebay.

Edited by Chrissy

The way that Montblanc look at it is that you are buying a brand new gold nib. Gold is currently at an all time high price and it is the most expensive part of a 146 or a 149 so that's why it costs so much.

I wish they could do a trade-in price and possibly keep the old nib so that it could be melted down and reused, or maybe sold on as a used nib, but Montblanc don't do either of those.

Montblanc will exchange a nib that is in perfect condition and indistinguishable from a brand new nib, even after the first 6 weeks have expired. That's why they change nibs on Special Edition pens that are sometimes years old.

You could get something back by selling your used nibs on ebay.

But they do keep the old nib. They are asking this price for just swapping the nib. I could understand charging the full price of a brand new nib unit if the old one was badly damaged or so but, in my case, you couldn't distinguish between brand new nibs and mines.

Regards,

Halid

A good used 146 or 149 nib is worth money, often seen for sale on xbay etc.

If Montblanc are charging you for a new nib, could you not remove your current nib and send them the rest of the pen, to recieve the new nib?

Still a lot of work to go through and still expensive (for my wallet)

You've got two 146s. I'd sell one and buy a replacement used 146 which already has your desired nib. You'd likely break even, give or take a few quid.

It could be the best way of trying them out?

Of course, if your pens are vintage with great sentimental attachment, this wouldn't be the course for you.

What age are your 146s and 149?

Good luck.

Hi,

I do recommend him for the retipping, but I'd leave the feed modifications to someone else. He does beautiful retips. I always used him for retips when I needed them for both my pens and my customer's pens. I did the final adjustments of the feed and other things in my shop, but his work was very beautiful. I would have no fear of taking macro pictures of the very tips of the nibs he tipped, making them very large, and framing them. His work was some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. If I had an MB that needed a retip, he would be the first person I would contact.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Canada's MB Service Centre charged me this year CDN$305.81 and CDN$311.61 for nib exchanges to put EF nibs on a POA Francois I 4810 and 1924 LE 149, respectively. Both origianl M nibs were in excellent condition, each pen having been inked less than 10 times.

Hi,

I do recommend him for the retipping, but I'd leave the feed modifications to someone else. He does beautiful retips. I always used him for retips when I needed them for both my pens and my customer's pens. I did the final adjustments of the feed and other things in my shop, but his work was very beautiful. I would have no fear of taking macro pictures of the very tips of the nibs he tipped, making them very large, and framing them. His work was some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. If I had an MB that needed a retip, he would be the first person I would contact.

Dillon

Interesting! It would seem we agree in almost every statement you made. I do agree his work in re-tipping is of excellent quality and precision, and that the final results are very beautiful. You also agree that the feed needs adjustments. The big difference is that you do those yourself, something I do not have the time/tools/know-how to do. I just think that a pen is something you want to write with (especially if you are customising a nib). No point in having a beautiful nib that doesn't write as it should.

All my other customs were always perfect, wet and smooth (Mottishaw, Masuyama and Binder).

I don't have the said pen anymore, otherwise I would post a few pics and writing samples.

Note: I am referring just to retipping of nibs to broad/extra broad points. I would have no trouble recommending Mr. Minuskin's work, like I did before on this forum, for smaller sized nibs and in particular very fine points.

Edited by osnofian

A good used 146 or 149 nib is worth money, often seen for sale on xbay etc.

If Montblanc are charging you for a new nib, could you not remove your current nib and send them the rest of the pen, to recieve the new nib?

Still a lot of work to go through and still expensive (for my wallet)

You've got two 146s. I'd sell one and buy a replacement used 146 which already has your desired nib. You'd likely break even, give or take a few quid.

It could be the best way of trying them out?

Of course, if your pens are vintage with great sentimental attachment, this wouldn't be the course for you.

What age are your 146s and 149?

Good luck.

I'm sorry; I should have mentioned this in my original post. Those three pens, from my 'pre-broad nib' era, are not vintage pens. They’re all modern, oldest of them being 6 years old.

A 149 is what it’s; a 149. I may, with a little bit of luck and patience, track down a NOS or near-mint one with the nib of my preference and sell the existing pen. Considering the fact that there is quite a fervent market for 149 I could easily break even out of this.

Those two 146s that I was talking about in my original post, however, are main subjects of the conundrum. One is a Doué Silver Barley and the other one is a Doué Black & White. I think they both are absolutely gorgeous pens and I always enjoy using them.

So far I could find just a few of them as NOS; none would come with reasonable price.

They don’t come up in classifieds that often as well.

Lastly, Montblanc asks outrageous prices for just a nib swap. (I’m not totally certain about this but I believe they don’t do repair work on pens without nibs, they also want to see the damaged nib.)

Right now I'm stuck and that's all because Montblanc refuses to charge a fair price for swapping a perfectly pristine nib with another one of different size.:gaah:

Montblanc!

I love using your pens and inks and I'm eyeing a few of your watches but this is just not the right way to do customer relations and service.:mad:

Edit: Typo

Edited by halidak

Regards,

Halid

I asked this question to an MB boutique just this week. On the 149 its €215 if the pen is older than 60 days. Before 60 days it's free as long as the pen isn't inked (though he didn't make that explicit).

Interestingly enough, the purchase doesn't have to be from a MB boutique as long as the warranty stamp is within the 60 days it goes back to Germany free!

I asked this question to an MB boutique just this week. On the 149 its €215 if the pen is older than 60 days. Before 60 days it's free as long as the pen isn't inked (though he didn't make that explicit).

Interestingly enough, the purchase doesn't have to be from a MB boutique as long as the warranty stamp is within the 60 days it goes back to Germany free!

The uninked part never applied to me... I always ink my pens when I get them... they either write the way I like, or I will send them to germany for a bit of a change :)

I payed £215 to have my 149 go from a M to an OBB. They also replace anything that needs replacing for that price and they gave me the M nib back as well

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B