Platignum No. 5 Studio Review

Jamesbmorley

Full metal body in red with black metal trim. Good sized M nib - a bit of line variation. Brilliant and satisfying click mechanism to secure cap when posted which gives nice weight and balance. I lived the Frontier rubber grip and the one on the No. 5 is just as nice. A brilliant everyday pen for under £10 from a rejuvenated British brand. post-87533-0-47542800-1353770669.jpg

With thanks

J. B. Morley

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamesbmorley

• robofkent

• harrietthespy

• Navegador

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ones we get here in Australia are made in China, but nonetheless the pens are surprisingly well-balanced for a metal pen and the one-size nib writes very well. An entry level pen, for young students, that is affordable and yet would not disappoint.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

Last time I tried one i loved the weight and size, but the nib was just awful. But at that price, it's a pretty nice little pen to just mess with, who knows, I might get one to practice grinding that nib.

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

I've got one in navy blue and it's a nice wet writer. Can be hard to start occasionally, but a great little pen for the price.

Looks like it writes nicely. Glad you like it.

Maybe you could show a picture of the section?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

??? My nib is a semi hooded one that looks completely different. I guess they changed things or have a different model with the same barrel and cap.

??? My nib is a semi hooded one that looks completely different. I guess they changed things or have a different model with the same barrel and cap.

I have seen No 5 Studios with both the hooded nibs and without!

A US vendor is now carrying these. I was immediately intrigued, as I have an 70s Platignum Silverline, but saw that they used proprietary cartridges and I promised myself, no more pens with brand-specific refills.

A US vendor is now carrying these. I was immediately intrigued, as I have an 70s Platignum Silverline, but saw that they used proprietary cartridges and I promised myself, no more pens with brand-specific refills.

I'm not sure how well it would work with a Platignum but I know some people with Parker FPs who syringe fill the cartridges with bottled ink......

I'm not sure how well it would work with a Platignum but I know some people with Parker FPs who syringe fill the cartridges with bottled ink......

I was told by Mrs. Goulet that the Monteverde Mini converter works with this pen. I have a white one and agree that for the price, the pen is a bargain! I bought the converter in the States where I am currently visiting my Mother and when I return home to Amsterdam next week will see if it fits. I am not fond of cartridges (plain blue and black are SO boring) and am looking forward to trying this pen with wetter ink!

Here is one of my older Platignum No 5 Studios in black and chrome trim - note the difference in nib section! This one also does not post as well as the red one, there is no satisfying click....

Edited by robofkent

Here are all my Platignum FPs together, far left is the older black and chrome Studio No 5, second is a Voyager, then the red Studio No 5 and finally a Time in black and chrome.

Ok so I've been using the No5 studio for a few weeks now and I prefer the wetness if the nib to the IM and Urban. I love the rubber grip that stays in place with barrel like on the Frontier (but on the IM) BUT the step between the section and barrel is even bigger than on the Urban and even more uncomfortable! Anyone else find this?

Another thing, having seen the Goulets on Write Time say they're starting to carry this pen and saying it only a takes Platignum cartridges I made a point of asking in the UK shop I bought mine in if it took international or Platignum cartridges. I was told it takes 2 short or 1 long international cartridge. Was I given the wrong info or has Snopake done different Paltignum section nipples for different markets (which would seem costly). Can anyone categorically say one way or the other please as I'm getting low on ink in my No5 Studio!

Thanks!!

With thanks

J. B. Morley

I can't answer this I'm afraid James as I've stocked up with Platignum cartridges, but I would be interested to know

I have seen No 5 Studios with both the hooded nibs and without!

I am thinking the hooded version with the metal section is the No5 and the open nib and rubber grip is the No 5 Studio

With thanks

J. B. Morley

Hi.

I have a Platignum No5 Studio in white, without a hooded nib. I have had no trouble getting mine to accept international standard cartridges or a converter from a cheap Chinese pen.

The rubberised section doesn't last. Mine has rubbed off, revealing brass (?) beneath. It is still a smooth writer though.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks John - I read somewhere (Executive Pens or J Pennifeather) that Pelikan cartridges seem to fit. So may try some of them so I can use red ink in the Studio and a Monteverde mini converter as suggested by the Goulets. John, do you mind me asking how long before the grip wore through and how much/frequently you used the pen before this happened?

With thanks

J. B. Morley