The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platignum No. 5 Studio Review

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:25

Full metal body in red with black metal trim. Good sized M nib - a bit of line variation. Brilliant and satisfying click mechanism to secure cap when posted which gives nice weight and balance. I lived the Frontier rubber grip and the one on the No. 5 is just as nice. A brilliant everyday pen for under £10 from a rejuvenated British brand. image.jpg
With thanks

J. B. Morley

Sponsored Content

#2 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:31

And a writing sampleimage.jpg
With thanks

J. B. Morley

#3 aawhite

aawhite

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:28

The ones we get here in Australia are made in China, but nonetheless the pens are surprisingly well-balanced for a metal pen and the one-size nib writes very well. An entry level pen, for young students, that is affordable and yet would not disappoint.

I only have two pens -  an Aurora Optima and others.

#4 iamchum

iamchum

Oh Long Johnson

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:06

Last time I tried one i loved the weight and size, but the nib was just awful. But at that price, it's a pretty nice little pen to just mess with, who knows, I might get one to practice grinding that nib.

My two best writers.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

#5 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48

I've got one in navy blue and it's a nice wet writer. Can be hard to start occasionally, but a great little pen for the price.

#6 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:54

Looks like it writes nicely. Glad you like it.

Maybe you could show a picture of the section?

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

#7 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:55

Here is a photo of the section of my pen.......

#8 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:16

??? My nib is a semi hooded one that looks completely different. I guess they changed things or have a different model with the same barrel and cap.

#9 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:42

??? My nib is a semi hooded one that looks completely different. I guess they changed things or have a different model with the same barrel and cap.

I have seen No 5 Studios with both the hooded nibs and without!

#10 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:59

A US vendor is now carrying these. I was immediately intrigued, as I have an 70s Platignum Silverline, but saw that they used proprietary cartridges and I promised myself, no more pens with brand-specific refills.

#11 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:26

A US vendor is now carrying these. I was immediately intrigued, as I have an 70s Platignum Silverline, but saw that they used proprietary cartridges and I promised myself, no more pens with brand-specific refills.

I'm not sure how well it would work with a Platignum but I know some people with Parker FPs who syringe fill the cartridges with bottled ink......

#12 harrietthespy

harrietthespy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 13:14

I'm not sure how well it would work with a Platignum but I know some people with Parker FPs who syringe fill the cartridges with bottled ink......

I was told by Mrs. Goulet that the Monteverde Mini converter works with this pen. I have a white one and agree that for the price, the pen is a bargain! I bought the converter in the States where I am currently visiting my Mother and when I return home to Amsterdam next week will see if it fits. I am not fond of cartridges (plain blue and black are SO boring) and am looking forward to trying this pen with wetter ink!

#13 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:11

Here is one of my older Platignum No 5 Studios in black and chrome trim - note the difference in nib section! This one also does not post as well as the red one, there is no satisfying click....

Edited by robofkent, 07 December 2012 - 16:13.

#14 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:17

Here are all my Platignum FPs together, far left is the older black and chrome Studio No 5, second is a Voyager, then the red Studio No 5 and finally a Time in black and chrome.

#15 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:32

Nice Platignum collection Rob :thumbup:
With thanks

J. B. Morley

#16 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:39

Ok so I've been using the No5 studio for a few weeks now and I prefer the wetness if the nib to the IM and Urban. I love the rubber grip that stays in place with barrel like on the Frontier (but on the IM) BUT the step between the section and barrel is even bigger than on the Urban and even more uncomfortable! Anyone else find this?

Another thing, having seen the Goulets on Write Time say they're starting to carry this pen and saying it only a takes Platignum cartridges I made a point of asking in the UK shop I bought mine in if it took international or Platignum cartridges. I was told it takes 2 short or 1 long international cartridge. Was I given the wrong info or has Snopake done different Paltignum section nipples for different markets (which would seem costly). Can anyone categorically say one way or the other please as I'm getting low on ink in my No5 Studio!

Thanks!!
With thanks

J. B. Morley

#17 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2012 - 23:03

I can't answer this I'm afraid James as I've stocked up with Platignum cartridges, but I would be interested to know

#18 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:07

I have seen No 5 Studios with both the hooded nibs and without!

I am thinking the hooded version with the metal section is the No5 and the open nib and rubber grip is the No 5 Studio
With thanks

J. B. Morley

#19 jonwat

jonwat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:33

Hi.

I have a Platignum No5 Studio in white, without a hooded nib. I have had no trouble getting mine to accept international standard cartridges or a converter from a cheap Chinese pen.

The rubberised section doesn't last. Mine has rubbed off, revealing brass (?) beneath. It is still a smooth writer though.

Hope this helps.

John

#20 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:11

Thanks John - I read somewhere (Executive Pens or J Pennifeather) that Pelikan cartridges seem to fit. So may try some of them so I can use red ink in the Studio and a Monteverde mini converter as suggested by the Goulets. John, do you mind me asking how long before the grip wore through and how much/frequently you used the pen before this happened?
With thanks

J. B. Morley

Sponsored Content

|