The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Collier In Persimmon Swirl With An Ef Full Flex Nib By Greg Minuskin

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Sweet

Mr. Sweet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Location:Hometown: Lake Oswego, OR, USA Current Location: Seoul, South Korea
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:34

I recently purchased an Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl from the Goulet Pen Company with a request for an extra fine flex nib. The good people at the Goulet Pen Company kindly contacted Brian Gray at Edison and he put through the order to Greg Minuskin for the EF flex nib.

Appearance: The Collier is an attractive design in my opinion and I give it very high marks. The material of the pen is acrylic in the design of Persimmon Swirl. The particular pattern, Persimmon Swirl, is simply mesmerizing and it is very difficult to capture the bewitching beauty of the pen on camera. You simply have to hold one of these in your hand to see the depth of color and see how light dances through the pen like a crystal ball about to reveal a message. I usually prefer ebonite or celluloid for my pens, but I had an affinity for this pen, and that feeling was right. I took these photos on my i-Phone, so they pale in comparison with some of the photo buffs here that create those clear, bright, gorgeous shots. As far as photography goes, I give amature a bad name. ^^ So, I give top marks for the design of the pen. The Collier won some awards and it is not difficult to see why. It's a classic design and I fully intend to grab a few more Colliers in the near future. Moreover, the material gets my highest marks possible as it is simply possesses magical properties. Brian Gray does good work, I can't say enough about the guy and the product he produces.

I placed the Persimmon Swirl next to an actual persimmon to see if they are close. I think the acrylic comes pretty close to the natural product. Beautiful!

swirl1.jpg
swirl2.jpg
swirl3.jpg
swirl5.jpg

The Nib: Two words describe this nib, if I may borrow from SBRE Brown, SERIOUS NIBBAGE! I love this nib and after a few days of getting used to how it writes, I am very happy with Greg Minuskin's work. This is the 14kg EF Full Flex Nib that was to be used for the Edison/Minuskin Spencerian project that was recalled due to the nibs. I don't know what a one is to expect from a pen that writes Spencerian script, but I love this nib. Sometimes when I flex the nib the feed makes contact with the paper, but I don't know if that is me or the pen. It flexes and it flexes well. Sadly, after 1 day of owning the pen, I was writing a letter on a standing desk when the phone rang. I put the pen down and answered the phone, when I turned around, I saw my beautiful pen fall nib first to the floor... a 4 foot drop! The pen rolls if you don't have a pen holder. So, I had to send the nib back to Greg Minuskin for a fix. He provided the photos below and any damage you see on the nib is my own damned fault. These photos were taken by Greg Minuskin and he kindly allowed me to use them here because my i-Phone camera is not up for the job of close-ups.

nib1.jpg
nib5.jpg

In closing, the Edison Collier is a classic design, Persimmon Swirl is an amazing material, and Greg Minuskin is a Nib Wizard. I have only positive, glowing remarks, and profuse praise for the pen and the service at the Goulet Pen Co. It's simply been a pleasure and continues to be a pleasure every time I pick up the pen.

Cheers!

Edited by Mr. Sweet, 24 November 2012 - 06:48.

Sponsored Content

#2 betsypreston

betsypreston

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:39

Beautiful!

#3 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:45

Can you post a scan or photo of what the nib can do?

#4 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:47

So how much was the total pen cost ($$) (before repair) and how long, from the time you ordered it, did it take to get the pen to you.

Would love to see a writing sample when you can post one.

Beautiful color and the nib pictures look elegant.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#5 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:34

Great review! Can you share some writing samples? :thumbup:

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

#6 Mr. Sweet

Mr. Sweet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:46

Here is a writing sample:

writing sample.jpg

As for price, I purchased the Collier Persimmon Swirl with an 18k gold nib from the Goulet Pen Co. for $274.00 USD and they switched the nib to the 14k gold flex nib. The price for Greg Minuskin's service was $140.00 USD. This brings everything to a grand total of $414.00 USD.

The Goulets sent the pen to Brian Gray. Brian Gray sent the pen to Greg Minuskin for specialization (or Greg forged the nib and sent it to Brian), then the nib was sent back to the Goulets, and they sent it to me. Whew, that's a mouthful! All said and done, it took about two weeks. Not bad considering the back and forth of it all... and the fact that I live in Seoul, South Korea.

Great service all around. I have high praise for all parties concerned. ^^

#7 Mr. Sweet

Mr. Sweet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:56

By the way, the ink is Noodler's Nikita.

#8 Dark_Severus

Dark_Severus

Paragonian

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:39

What an excellent combination! and a great pen to boot. Many congratulations.

adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zps

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

#9 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:20

Very nice handwriting you have, along with an excellent pen.

#10 mm1624124

mm1624124

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 20:28

Absolutely stunning! The pen, the nib, the ink, and the writing!

I've been lurking around the Edison pens for quite sometime and wishing for a similar type nib for such a pen. Now that I know it is not just wishful thinking, I'll have to start stashing away some serious coin for a future purchase.

Thanks so much for sharing!

#11 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 20:48

What a gorgeous pen and fabulous nib! And your handwriting is exceptional too! Enjoy this pen in good health! Congratulations!

#12 Mr. Sweet

Mr. Sweet

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 23:29

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Posted Image

Anything is possible at Edison Pen Company. Brian Gray has an amazing range of materials, pen designs, and will bend over backward to get you the nib you want. He will even work with you to create your own pen design... which is what the Collier is... a modified Edison 76. See the post here on FPN by Aslan, a great review: The First Collier.

Edited by Mr. Sweet, 24 November 2012 - 23:34.

#13 Amberjack

Amberjack

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:04

Mesmerizing is certainly the right word for it.
I could almost swear the lines and colors are shifting and moving!

Congrats on your new baby.

I have a Glenmont in the works as we speak. :thumbup:

AJ
Letter Writers Alliance

#14 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:21

Congratulations on an amazing looking and performing pen! :thumbup:
I have several of Brian's pens, several of Greg's nibs, and sometimes they come to me together in one pen!! :puddle: I can vouch for both of these artists.....dedicated to making it absolutely right!!! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Your writing with that nib and ink is beautiful. Take a bow!!! :notworthy1:
Edited to add......now I want one of those nibs!!! :blush:

Edited by Chris Chalmers, 25 November 2012 - 06:22.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!
Make it count!!!

#15 requiescat

requiescat

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 830 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:13

What a vivid, lovely pen and lovely handwriting!

May I ask how the nib's responsiveness is?

#16 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:10

wow, striking Posted Image
-rudy-

#17 chad.trent

chad.trent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:55

I have a Herald in that same color. Now I'm giving very very serious thought to getting a nib like that for mine...

Sponsored Content

|