The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Artist's nib

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 21:39

A friend from the cold north has introduced to me this interesting early Waterman's nib variation, which carries the name of "Artist's nib". No, I am not an artist, but this is a long tines, extra fine, extra flex nib that Waterman provided to customers on special order. :drool: He also pointed me towards a seller that had a sample on sale. Thanks Mike. The rest is history... The pen (and the nib) is on the way, and I promise to review it when it gets here.

AZ

So much for financial sanity. :unsure: After Dennis B help me sell a number of pens and brought my 2005 negative balance to a more bearable figure, a new PFM and this pen has put me deep in the red. Oh well.

Edited by antoniosz, 04 May 2005 - 04:02.

Sponsored Content

#2 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2005 - 21:42

Hi Antonios,

Wow, sounds great! Looking forward to your artistry :D with this nib! Sorry about the wallet ache, though. Guess that couldn't really be avoided :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#3 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:08

I am sorry for the delay. It has been busy recently :)
Well it is all Mike C.'s fault. First he showed me this Waterman
ad in a discussion about points of the #7 ripples.
But my eyes were caught by the nib at the bottom right.
Posted Image
to make things "worse" he even pointed me to a web site that was selling one.
It belongs to a person that posts some of the most to drool for pens on ebay (askm936). This is what I found there :
Posted Image
My resistance to spending evaporated and I got it.
So it is now on my desk filled with Waterman Brown. OK I am not an artist but I have enjoyed using this pen. Essentially an uber-wet noodle. Both "wet" and "noddle" :) as you can see below.
Posted Image
In comparison with my other waterman nibs it is the longest and the most pointy.
It is the one on the very left. Next to it, there is what I have considered a really wet noodle. The 4th from the left is a Waterman star nib, and the last from the right is a great fine flex #4.
Posted Image
One more example. I am not sure if this pen is ment for writing - (artist?), but I have for sure enjoyed it....
Posted Image
Actually I just found this link with a drawing that is said to be drawn by a similar nib (LINK)

Edited by antoniosz, 21 March 2007 - 02:41.

#4 covertpen

covertpen

... and Le Boeuf. Coco Bolo anyone?

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:58

Hi Folks

AZ meant to say bottom right ;)
When your name embraces the alphabet there is little room for reference!
Or maybe with all the writing he does there is nothing but left :blink:
I prefer to think it's because he's an Engineer :lol:

One thing for sure we know he's got write nailed down solid.

Perfect AZ just perfect

Edited by covertpen, 21 May 2005 - 06:01.

The answer to all life's secrets are found in your own creativity.

-unknown

#5 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,015 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 13:33

Mike, the left was not right, so I had to write right, right?
Thanks one more time for pointing me to that nib :)

#6 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,015 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 21:10

Another Artist's nib on a late Safety Waterman's pen. This is the (grand?)daughter of the earlier eyedropper that I posted above last year.
According to M. Fultz the late Safeties were sold by Waterman from mid 30s up to the 60s.
In basic black, this pen is not an eye-candy but the artist's nib is to drool for :)
Initially I thought that this was plastic - as mine does not smell after rubbing and I had attributed the faint smell of hard rubber to the seal. But I was corrected on PT that these pens are made of hard rubber.
Anyway, the more important part of the pen :), the artist's nib, gives a great range of thicknesses (from a very thin hairline to a decent width BB.
The thin-thick contrast is excelent and the result very very enjoyable. A wonderful pen with a superb nib.
Thanks to Charles Ackerman for making the pen available and many thanks to Richard Binder for fixing the mechanism :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by antoniosz, 21 March 2007 - 02:43.

#7 Ashland

Ashland

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 23:02

That writing is so gorgeous it makes me want to cry or maybe just jump up in down fists clenched in jealousy. I want to write like that! Really, is the secret in the nib or learning to write in a certain way? I bought a Sailor Super Script hoping to produce similar capital letters--especially the As, but I haven't managed to do so. Please tell me...am I doomed to buy another specialty nib?

Ashland

P.S. Thanks again for sharing that amazing handwriting.

#8 WillAdams

WillAdams

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:33

Ashland,

I list 3 books on copperplate-style calligraphy and flourishing on my web site:

http://members.aol.c...alligraphy.html

Pictorial Calligraphy: Gems of Flourishing
Lupfer, E.A.
(New York: Dover Publications, 1982).
ISBN 0-486-21957-7 Paperback.
Original title, Fascinating Pen Flourishing, Containing a Complete Course and a Collection of Masterpieces Produced by Leading Penmen of the Penmanship Profession (1951 edition).

Ornamental Penmanship: Two Eighteenth-Century English Classics of Calligraphy
Tomkins, Thomas & William Milns.
(New York: Dover Publications, 1983).
ISBN 0-486-24449-0 Paperback.
Facsimile of The Beauties of Writing by Tomkins, 1777 and The Penman's Repository by Milns, 1794--95. Nice example of copperplate and other scripts rendered by engraving.

Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual
Winters, Eleanor.
(Avenel, New Jersey: Gramercy Books, 1994).
ISBN 0-517-10134-3 Hardcover.
Contemporary text.

I'd suggest the Winters book to start.

William

#9 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,015 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:43

Ashland, thanks for your kind words. If you have the patience and you are willing to practice it can be done.

Williams, thanks for the wonderful list of books. Especially for the link to "La Operina". Please post the link to your site in the penmanship forum.
It would be nice to extend the list of the suggested books.

AZ

#10 rosey

rosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:33

Your handwriting is beautiful. :D Thanks for sharing with us. I would love to learn but I don't think I have the patience to practice!

I was wondering what kind of paper you used in the last post. (I can't get the picture to copy, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.)
Is it special paper for calligraphy?
I'm always interested in new paper and I like the looks of it.
"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

#11 kissing

kissing

a pen for all seasons

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:21

Your writing with that pen is brilliant :drool:

Nice Nib and Nice Hand :)
http://www.youtube.com/kissing88

#12 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,015 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 20:40

QUOTE(rosey @ Jul 1 2006, 12:33 AM) View Post
Your handwriting is beautiful. biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing with us. I would love to learn but I don't think I have the patience to practice!
I was wondering what kind of paper you used in the last post. (I can't get the picture to copy, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.)
Is it special paper for calligraphy?
I'm always interested in new paper and I like the looks of it.

Thank you for you kind words and I am sorry for taking more than one year to reply sad.gif
The paper is Séyès (French ruled) paper by Clairefontaine. Check the discussion here about this paper.

#13 PelikanPenman

PelikanPenman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 20:59

Antonio, I for one am glad you took so long to respond. Otherwise I would not have seen this. I must say that is a very nice nib. Thank you for the post.

Cheers.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

#14 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2007 - 21:03

I'd like to see a video of THIS pen in your capable hands, Antonios!

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#15 Gran

Gran

U. S. A.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 14:19

Very helpful indeed. Thanks much for this thread!
May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

#16 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2011 - 14:43

This nib is amazing

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Flexible Music Nib from any brand in any usable condition with or without a pen.

2. User Grade Parker Vacumatic in Red.

#17 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 16:49

:sick: Envy is my second middle name.

More than likely affordable 'back in the day' prices too.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 14 October 2011 - 16:50.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#18 curioti

curioti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 17:22

I just scored my first artist nib which I found on a stenographer #12. I am debating whether to sell it or have Henry Simpole do an overlay on it.

It is similar to the Waterman Pink in that it lays down a fantastic line. But it takes more pressure to do so than some of the wet noodles I have. i guess I am truly spoined when I complain about an Artist nib ;)

#19 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2012 - 17:44

an artist's nib IS a wet noodle. It shouldn't take ANY pressure to get flex. Mine is about as soft as you could imagine a nib being.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#20 MrMGWard

MrMGWard

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:00

Unless I am mistaken the Artists nib should require much less pressure to flex than a Pink nib. I have unfortunately never had that privilege of using one though. So my knowledge may be somewhat lacking.

The Artist nib is what I would consider my Holy Grail nib... *sigh* someday haha
Posted ImagePosted Image

Sponsored Content

|