Using L E Pens?

Paul Raposo

Count me as another one who uses his LE's. Here are the ones that I have used:

Classic Pens CP1 Targa Vannerie, #202 of 250

Classic Pens CP4 Richmond, #299 of 500

Classic Pens LM1 Flame Red LE, #36 of 500

Classic Pens ZJ2 Prototype, unique

FPN 2007 LE, Bexley Simplicity, not numbered but there were only 114.

FPN 2011 LE Stipula Modello T, #144 of 200

FPN 2011 LE Stipula Passaporta, #33 of 120

Joon 25th Anniversary LE 2000, Visconti Ebonite Double Power-Filler, not numbered

Platinum 3776 Century LE "Shoji", not numbered

Sailor/Levenger Imperial Tiger-eye, Togi nib, #60 of 300

Sheaffer 1050 Targa Palissandre de Rio, cocobolo wood. It's not known how many of these were made and they are not numbered. But the total is described as a "handful".

Sheaffer 1060 Targa Brown Thuya with 11 diamonds on the clip, not numbered. Again, it's not known how many were made but it was certainly a very small number.

Sheaffer 1097 Targa Masterpiece Vannerie in 18K yellow gold, not numbered. Initial production run was only 10 pens. Rumor has it that a "few" more were made later. Call it 20-25 total as an educated guess.

Sheaffer Triumph Imperial Masterpiece in 18K yellow gold, not numbered.

S. T. Dupont Vertigo, not numbered

S. T. Dupont Vertigo II, #351 of 400

And here are the only two that remain uninked:

Sheaffer 1083 Targa Laque Ivoire Spiral, Harrod's LE edition of 100 pens, not numbered. (It's white and I have over a hundred other Targas. I don't want to stain it.)

Zoss List 2005 LE, Grifos Sterling, #34 of 50 (It's heavy, has a steel nib and a slippery metal grip. It just hasn't appealed to me enough to make it into my rotation.)

I do have to admit that a fair number, but certainly not all, of these pens came to me second-hand and had already been inked. So it's not as if I had to make the decision to use or not use the pen for each and every pen listed above. It was probably about half-and-half.

Edited by sexauerw

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Raposo

• torstar

• jar

• peterpen53

Paul,I'm a bit late to this party so I hope you have inked this pen in the meantime. Consider this: about 6 months ago the mailman brought a pen numbered 05/25. I swore it would never see a day without ink and it's one of my best writers. Besides that, for a stiff medium those Omas nibs are some of the finest you could get. I should know, I seem to have 10 of those lying around here.

Wish you lots of writing fun with this magnificent pen.

Cheers,Peter

Hey Peter :thumbup:

Haven't inked it yet. I've been sorting out some other pens to list on my blog. Thank you very much for your opinion on the Omas pens, and especially the nibs. I'm hoping to get some Aurora blue into it this weekend, and hopefully some pics posted here. The packaging is really nice, especially the marble vase.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Count me as another one who uses his LE's. Here are the ones that I have used:

Classic Pens CP1 Targa Vannerie, #202 of 250

Classic Pens CP4 Richmond, #299 of 500

Classic Pens LM1 Flame Red LE, #36 of 500

Classic Pens ZJ2 Prototype, unique

FPN 2007 LE, Bexley Simplicity, not numbered but there were only 114.

FPN 2011 LE Stipula Modello T, #144 of 200

FPN 2011 LE Stipula Passaporta, #33 of 120

Joon 25th Anniversary LE 2000, Visconti Ebonite Double Power-Filler, not numbered

Platinum 3776 Century LE "Shoji", not numbered

Sailor/Levenger Imperial Tiger-eye, Togi nib, #60 of 300

Sheaffer 1050 Targa Palissandre de Rio, cocobolo wood. It's not known how many of these were made and they are not numbered. But the total is described as a "handful".

Sheaffer 1060 Targa Brown Thuya with 11 diamonds on the clip, not numbered. Again, it's not known how many were made but it was certainly a very small number.

Sheaffer 1097 Targa Masterpiece Vannerie in 18K yellow gold, not numbered. Initial production run was only 10 pens. Rumor has it that a "few" more were made later. Call it 20-25 total as an educated guess.

Sheaffer Triumph Imperial Masterpiece in 18K yellow gold, not numbered.

S. T. Dupont Vertigo, not numbered

S. T. Dupont Vertigo II, #351 of 400

And here are the only two that remain uninked:

Sheaffer 1083 Targa Laque Ivoire Spiral, Harrod's LE edition of 100 pens, not numbered. (It's white and I have over a hundred other Targas. I don't want to stain it.)

Zoss List 2005 LE, Grifos Sterling, #34 of 50 (It's heavy, has a steel nib and a slippery metal grip. It just hasn't appealed to me enough to make it into my rotation.)

I do have to admit that a fair number, but certainly not all, of these pens came to me second-hand and had already been inked. So it's not as if I had to make the decision to use or not use the pen for each and every pen listed above. It was probably about half-and-half.

Whoa! I really can't fathom having that many LE pens, but I love your love of Sheaffers :clap1:

I didn't think this topic would generate so much great information, and advice. I'm glad I posted the question!

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

I think about half my pens happen to be LE's and I use all of them (though somewhat carefully - I'm not going to try using any of them as pitons!). For the last couple days I've been using Waterman Edson LE to take random notes and such.

No impulse to add to that stockpile...

He said with wavering confidence ;)

No doubt wavering like the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge...

Not until the next inheritance cheque, if I should be so unfortunate to receive one...

I think about half my pens happen to be LE's and I use all of them (though somewhat carefully - I'm not going to try using any of them as pitons!). For the last couple days I've been using Waterman Edson LE to take random notes and such.

No doubt wavering like the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge...

Got the Capilano Suspension Bridge rocking well when I was 11. Seemed one of the coolest things ever at the time (still is 35 years later.) My father wasn't too pleased with my actions, but I knew I was safe on the bridge for a short while as he is terrified of heights.

Hey all.

Picked up an Omas 50 FAO yesterday that's never been inked. Looks like a great smooth, medium nib. Any opinions on inking up unused LE pens as daily writers?

I inked up and still have ink in and using my Omas 360 LE. I find the pen a bit hidious to look at but tried it out and like the nib.

I also have a Jitterbug prototype and cant help my self. I use it also.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

My rule is: I only buy modern pens I can or will in theory ink. ;) So any pen I've bought I reserve the right to one day ink and use. That goes for LE and non-LE pens. I've inked many of my LE pens. Some I haven't, and probably never will; some are rare and will never be made again, e.g. some Visconti D'Essais made of vintage celluloid. With the D'Essais for instance I ink the more common ones, but the rare complete ones have stayed uninked like the Fucshia.

In some cases when I agonize whether to ink a particular pen, e.g. Omas LE Lucens, I ended up finding another (sans box, papers, etc.) for cheap which I've inked. Problem solved! But I haven't done that for every LE pen, but I have doubles for some of my favorites like that Lucens and Aurora Sole.

The nib on the Omas Italia 90 pens were notable because they were so flexy, like the original inhouse 14k Omas nibs. The 18k inhouse nibs that came later were much more rigid. Speaking of the Italia 90, I have a hard to find blue (azzurra) one that's remained uninked. I haven't seen another one in awhile at a good price, so were I feeling the need on that pen I'd probably just get the much easier to find and less expensive green one.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I own an Aurora Tsugaru-nuri(#12/150)that is urushi coated,and was

inked from the day I got it several years ago. I'm like Jar--I don't buy

a pen(LE or otherwise) unless I plan to use it.

John

Great advice, John. Much appreciate :thumbup: After doing a search for the Aurora Tsugaru-nuri I understand why you bought it.

I can put it another way--in the past four years or so,I've only seen

two on fleabay......mine and another one.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Hi,

When I get my LE pens, I don't spend much time looking at them, I fill them with ink, then they accompany for for the next few weeks at very least. I see it as a unique pen that is your new companion that you know is uniquely yours due to the number and the wear from you using it in your travels. It has a story that you can create with it.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hey all. I just wanted to post an update.

I had some free time tonight, so I decided to ink up this Omas 50 FAO. I used my Aurora Blue, filled and emptied the pen several times to help lube the piston, and get the ebonite feed good and wet. Then I wrote. And boy was I disappointed :(

The nib was very dry, and would only write with a bit of pressure on the nib to open the tines. The nib has some flex, a small amount, but it is there. It's not a wet noodle, but the tines open with little pressure and snap back immediately. However, I didn't want another flex nib to deal with.

After a page of frustrating writing, I grabbed my loupe, and saw the nib was perfect, if not very tight as the slit reached the tipping material. So using my finger nail, I opened the slit just slightly. The difference visibly is not noticeable, but the difference in writing is astounding :cloud9:

The pen now writes the moment it touches the page, the flow is perfect, and the line is a thin medium. I double checked the nib with a much stronger loupe, and as I wrote above, the difference is not noticeable, but something is different. And now I understand why so many collectors love Omas nibs!

Here I'm having trouble describing the feel of the nib; it's smooth and wet, yet I can feel the nib move on the paper. It doesn't drag, and there isn't one iota of scratchiness, but the nib isn't gliding glass smooth across the page either. I really don't know how to articulate it, but it's the most interesting feeling nib I've used. Every time I put the pen down, I have to grab it again and write just to try and figure out how to describe the nib.

I'm really very pleased that I inked this pen, and I want to thank everyone here who posted answers, and comments :thumbup: You were all helpful with this, and I think I would have missed out on a wonderful nib, and pen, if I had left this Omas uninked.

Edited by Paul Raposo

Paul's Pens

Glad to hear it writes like an Omas!

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Hooray!

At first, I said, "Awwwww," disappointed. But this story has a good ending, yay!

Thank you, ethernautrix :thumbup: Personally, I didn't say "Awwwww" but what I did say would get bleeped here :embarrassed_smile:

Paul's Pens

Glad to hear it writes like an Omas!

Thanks, peterpen53 :thumbup: I understood their popularity, because they are a beautifully designed, and made pen. But that nib really is fantastic. Hope I don't get hooked on Omas like I did MB :headsmack:

Paul's Pens

Paul, glad you got it inked, adjusted and are using it. I love writing with my OMAS pens. In fact, just reading your post makes me want to ink one of them right now, which I think I'll do ...

DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Paul, glad you got it inked, adjusted and are using it. I love writing with my OMAS pens. In fact, just reading your post makes me want to ink one of them right now, which I think I'll do ...

DAVID

Thank you, David :thumbup: Go forth and ink that pen! While you're doing that, I'm going to look online for a piston fill 360.

Paul's Pens

I use all my LEs. They're pens, dagnamit!

It took me a little while to figure that out, but I'm pleased I did :clap1:

Paul's Pens

DAVID

Oh good! Looking forward to the pictures smile.gif

Thank you, David :thumbup: Go forth and ink that pen! While you're doing that, I'm going to look online for a piston fill 360.

Make sure it fits your hand, Paul. These pens virtually enforce the tripod grip. That's no problem if you're used to that, but if not...

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.