Using L E Pens?

Paul Raposo

A follow-up question--polish the nib, or leave the aged patina on the gold?

Gold seldom develops a patina, it's more likely old ink and so very possible it was used already.

Well by patina I mean a dull colour to the gold, rather than shiny. But having been used already is a possibility. The seller stated he flushed the Italia 90 before selling it, and that wasn't entirely true.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Raposo

• torstar

• jar

• peterpen53

It's scary to use things that are hard to replace, I totally understand that.

That's it exactly! Thank you for articulating what I was feeling, saskia_madding :thumbup:

But in my estimation, the joy I get from using pens I love outweighs my concern. I just make sure to take extra special care of it - buy a soft but protective carrying case for it to take in my bag, don't use it on the subway where people can knock it out of my hand, that sort of thing.

I've got a lot of LE, some a run of 12, some a run of 26, and some a run of 10,000. I use them all in varying degrees of how comfortable they feel in my hand and how much I like writing with them.

Some excellent points here, thank you. I'm positive this will be a housebound desk pen. It is a beauty and I'm looking forward to using it.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

I am a bit late to the topic but like Jar I will not own a pen that can't be used. Limited Editions are just a way of selling pens as far as I am concerned.

This is quite true; a marketing ploy used by watch companies as well.

Paul's Pens

+1 on this. I've got an Edison custom on order, it'll be a limited edition of just one and you can be sure that I'll be using it when it arrives. If I just wanted to look at something, I'd buy a painting.

But you can't carry a painting in your pocket! But seriously, will you be posting pictures?

Are you likely to carry a LE pen that you won't ink?

Most likely not. But I knew a watch collector who carried a pocket watch that didn't run, simply because it was pretty special, and he liked to talk about to people.

Paul's Pens

You've already decided to ink your pen, so I'll just say, Hooray!

I mean, I wouldn't push anyone (too hard) to ink his LE pens, but I will point out that I ink up all of my pens. They might not stay in rotation, but I gotsta know!1 Recently, for example, I brought my Montblanc Hemingway back into rotation. It's Autumn, and the Hemingway is so pretty (ahem, I mean handsome), looks like New England in the Fall. I've had the pen for about 20 years, and it's spent most of that time un-inked, but that's only because of all the other pens I had to use.

I hope you love your Omas's M nib!

Thank you, ethernautrix :thumbup: I think when I got the pen home in the cold light of day, I had some trepidations. But reading all the comments here shows me that I was being, frankly, foolish. I saw someone driving a Ferrari yesterday like I was driving my Buick. Sometimes I just get a bit jittery about having "nice things".

And I agree about the Hemingway--it's purty, in a manly way :embarrassed_smile:

Paul's Pens

The MB Proust, Poe, and Verne all get a few months a year in the regular rotation.

Wow! That's some pile of pens you've got there, torstar.

Paul's Pens

The MB Proust, Poe, and Verne all get a few months a year in the regular rotation.

Wow! That's some pile of pens you've got there, torstar.

No impulse to add to that stockpile...

LE's are some of my favorite daily writers!

All 21 of my MB Writer's editions are in relular rotation, amongst others.

Every week, 10 pens are lined up for the week, and every weekend 10 others get their turn.

This week's 10, including LE's:

Visconti Carbon Dream with custom-ground OB nib

MB Hemingway OB

MB Faulkner B

Delta Shadow Gray B

Delta Hippocratica with M fusion nib

Sailor KOP Progear with crossnib

TW Goldfink Wunderfüller custom OM nib

Parker Duofold B (1980's)

MB Hitchcock B

Visconti Knight's Templar B

So, 8/10 LE's, just for this week's daily grind! Fun!!

No impulse to add to that stockpile...

He said with wavering confidence ;)

Paul's Pens

LE's are some of my favorite daily writers!

All 21 of my MB Writer's editions are in relular rotation, amongst others.

Every week, 10 pens are lined up for the week, and every weekend 10 others get their turn.

This week's 10, including LE's:

Visconti Carbon Dream with custom-ground OB nib

MB Hemingway OB

MB Faulkner B

Delta Shadow Gray B

Delta Hippocratica with M fusion nib

Sailor KOP Progear with crossnib

TW Goldfink Wunderfüller custom OM nib

Parker Duofold B (1980's)

MB Hitchcock B

Visconti Knight's Templar B

So, 8/10 LE's, just for this week's daily grind! Fun!!

Great input here, rockspyder :thumbup: For some reason I assumed all these LE's were just sitting on a shelf. Occasionally I'd read a post about someone using their newly bought LE, but I just figured that was the exception.

Paul's Pens

Great that you decided to use it. For me it is special to write with a special pen. Enjoy!

Thanks FrankvK :thumbup: I guess we all need a little something special in our lives, right?

Paul's Pens

So, polish the nib, or leave it dull?

Paul's Pens

I own an Aurora Tsugaru-nuri(#12/150)that is urushi coated,and was

inked from the day I got it several years ago. I'm like Jar--I don't buy

a pen(LE or otherwise) unless I plan to use it.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Use it and see what color it turns.

I use all mine. I buy to use and that includes the Spirit, which I intended from the start as a daily user. http://www.henrysimpole.com/the-spirit-of-life-pen

:cloud9:

Thank you, Ghost Plane :thumbup: It's not an awful dull colour, but just not the bright gold I'm used to seeing after polishing a nib. And that Spirit is really beautiful. Very much an homage to those beautiful filigree pens that most of us are too young to remember.

Paul's Pens

I own an Aurora Tsugaru-nuri(#12/150)that is urushi coated,and was

inked from the day I got it several years ago. I'm like Jar--I don't buy

a pen(LE or otherwise) unless I plan to use it.

John

Great advice, John. Much appreciate :thumbup: After doing a search for the Aurora Tsugaru-nuri I understand why you bought it.

Paul's Pens

Gently polish it and see what it looks like?

Gently polish it and see what it looks like?

That's what I usually do, using a Sunshine polishing cloth. But--apparently--I'm a bit hesitant this time.

Paul's Pens

Paul,

I'm a bit late to this party so I hope you have inked this pen in the meantime. Consider this: about 6 months ago the mailman brought a pen numbered 05/25. I swore it would never see a day without ink and it's one of my best writers. Besides that, for a stiff medium those Omas nibs are some of the finest you could get. I should know, I seem to have 10 of those lying around here.

Wish you lots of writing fun with this magnificent pen.

Cheers,Peter

Edited by peterpen53

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.