Varuna Kavi - Comments Please

nanahcub

I recently lost one of my pens (Hero copy of Parker 51) and want to replace it. I'm thinking of buying a Varuna Kavi (black,bakul finish) and wanted to know other people's opinions of it.

I would be grateful to read anything that anyone can tell me about it from the looks and feel of the pen to the quality of the finish, the nib, the practicality of it - ie can I carry it in my pocket without it leaking all over my clothes, can I take it out at work without the embarrassment of ink all over fingers/paperwork/clothes etc.

Also, it is available as an eyedropper or as an aerometric fill. Does anyone have any experience of or recomendations for either version? (I've never had a eye-dropper before, so would probably play safe with the aerometric unless there was good reason not to - such as the aerometrics leaking or something)

So what do you think? Should I buy one, or go for something else (not a Lamy Safari!) in the sub £25 price range?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• nanahcub

• de_pen_dent

• JimB

I have an Indian eye dropper very like that. It's the only ED pen I own. I don't like it. It "burps" WAY too much, even though it's nowhere near empty. Additionally, though it writes well when it does write, it dries out when capped due to the clip that has been attached but that left areas into which air creeps. I'm told if I seal the area with hot wax my problem will be solved. I have not tried that yet. Seems extreme. Not a good choice in my book, although initially it seemed a wonderful, big pen. Now it sits in my desk drawer, unused.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Get it! I have the Varuna Vishal, in the bakul finish, and love it. Yes, it blurps, as with any ED. The irony is that if you keep it filled more than halfway, and don't play with it in your hand, which is almost impossible since the finish and weight beg you to twirl it and flip it around, it doesn't blurp. It's changes in air pressure and the heat from your hand that cause the disasters. i suspect that they may blurp less in warm countries, where the heat from one's hand doesn't change the pen's environment significantly.

Oh, and don't even think about air travel with it. If, however, you're willing to add a little risk into your life, these are wonderful pens.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

If you want, you can buy the pen directly from Ranga, the manufacturer in Chennai, India. They are very nice people to deal with, and can put in your own nib into the pen. I've sent them a couple of Jowo nibs to be put into the section, so that I can use their bamboo pens with a converter.

IIRC, a Sheaffer No-Nonsense section also fits these pens, and that is less prone to leakage when used as an ED - there was a thread on this a few days ago, worth checking out.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Thanks for comments about the eye-dropper. What about the aerometric version? Anyone used that or can comment on it?

1353009790[/url]' post='2511486']

If you want, you can buy the pen directly from Ranga, the manufacturer in Chennai, India. They are very nice people to deal with, and can put in your own nib into the pen. I've sent them a couple of Jowo nibs to be put into the section, so that I can use their bamboo pens with a converter.

IIRC, a Sheaffer No-Nonsense section also fits these pens, and that is less prone to leakage when used as an ED - there was a thread on this a few days ago, worth checking out.

FYI -- since the pens are handmade, not all barrels will accept the No Nonsense sections. We ordered around 50 in a few different models and found that 5-6 can accept the No Nonsense sections. (We're currently testing these and will offer them on our website with gold plated No Nonsense nibs and converters.)

Teri

1353684164[/url]' post='2517161']
1353009790[/url]' post='2511486']

FYI -- since the pens are handmade, not all barrels will accept the No Nonsense sections. We ordered around 50 in a few different models and found that 5-6 can accept the No Nonsense sections. (We're currently testing these and will offer them on our website with gold plated No Nonsense nibs and converters.)

I would caution against planning on using the NN nibs in these pens as an eye dropper .... With their own sections, the Ranga pens make a tight seal which is required for an eyedropper, but with the NN nibs, as I mention above, the fit can vary and in some cases be too loose to prevent leaks.

Teri

i suspect that they may blurp less in warm countries, where the heat from one's hand doesn't change the pen's environment significantly.

Tim

I suspect you're right about eyedroppers in warm countries. I live in the tropics and now have a number of eyedroppers, both Indian and older, mostly school pens I DIY converted myself. These span a range from a Waterman Phileas to a recently acquired Wearever to a Schneider. Some without even the silicone grease on the threads. None have burped. In fact the only way I notice they are empty is when they start skipping or having trouble starting.

But our average ambient temperature today is around 30 degrees Centigrade, and the temperature in my home office where I keep my pens is maybe a degree higher. (no AC).

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Teri

Thanks for that info, Teri - good to know!

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.