#21 Wilson69

Wilson69

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:33

I like Boardwalk Empire and I have always tried to identify the fountain pens they use...

#22 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:21

I'm a big fan of the show. Unfortunately, they have yet to use a period correct fountain pen in any of the desk/writing scenes. The ones I remember offhand include a Parker Vacumatic, a Parker Streamline Duofold junior, and an Esterbrook dollar pen.

Regards,
George

George;

are the models you list above ones you've seen used on BE, or examples of period-correct fountain pens?

Thanks!

npm

Noodler's Ahab | Jinhao 159 | Lamy Safari | Muji | Pilot 78g | Waterman Phileas

#23 blbjdtny

blbjdtny

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:46

I counted 3 different fountain pens on last Sunday's premiere. Anyone able to identify them? I could not identify even one of them.

#24 SteveE

SteveE

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2013 - 18:34

I do not watch this series, but don't forget that during the 1920's there were a lot of pens like the Sheaffer's flat-tops out there.  Also Waterman, conklin and many others.  These were simple radite (plastic) pens, not the really fancy presentation or gift pens that we so often think about.  Some of the pens would have been sac pens (button or lever-fillers, twist fillers, etc.), but there might also have been postal pens, bulb fillers, plunger-fillers, blow-fillers - you get the idea.  Once you get into the 1920's, there had to be a lot of them out there.

#25 Zut Alors

Zut Alors

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2013 - 00:29

Slightly off topic: it can be frustrating recognising fountain pen brands/models in films or TV series. But imagine if one of the characters actually identified it for the viewer. It happened!

I was watching a black/white film from 1931, "Friends and Lovers", where Erich von Stroheim's character was blackmailing Adolphe Menjou's to the tune of five thousand pounds. Von Stroheim handed Menjou a bank cheque then proffered a pen with the words:

"Extra stub, number seven - the kind you like."

I could scarcely believe my ears. I'm guessing it was a Waterman's with a broad ("extra") stub. Due to the black/white era it wasn't possible to confirm it as a red ripple but the chances are high.

Imagine if Nucky had been gracious enough to inform BE/FPN viewers what he was using...

#26 penhand

penhand

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2013 - 00:33

Below is the fountain pen that Arnold Rothstein offers to Margaret when when she is on the phone at her workplace (Season 4 Episode 10). Can anyone identify it?

boardwalk-empire-pen-s04e10_zpsc38b49a3.

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

#27 BillZ

BillZ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2013 - 14:09

Was hoping that someone captured the picture. Also hope that it can be identified.
Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

#28 JDW427

JDW427

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:12

Eddie writes his suicide note with a Sheaffer Flattop, but the feed looked to be a little more modern than it should have been

#29 Readymade

Readymade

.. the (ink) stains become a warning...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:09

Looks like a Morrison or an Eclipse.

Below is the fountain pen that Arnold Rothstein offers to Margaret when when she is on the phone at her workplace (Season 4 Episode 10). Can anyone identify it?

boardwalk-empire-pen-s04e10_zpsc38b49a3.

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook
Writing without rhythm

#30 jjlax10

jjlax10

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:12

What Ron says is essentially correct.

In the 20s, fountain pens were more or less luxury items. Granted, there were cheap, user-grade pens around, but pens made by companies like Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman, Wahl-Eversharp, etc, were generally expensive and hard to buy for ordinary people.

If you owned such a pen, it was because it was GIVEN to you. It was a present. A promotional gift. An award. Or, you worked damn hard, saved up enough money, and bought it after hard slog.

For most big institutions and so-forth, and for most people, the dip-pen remained the norm. It was cheaper and easier to use. It saved money. Why spend $5 on a fountain pen when you can spend 10c. on a box of nibs and a wooden pen-shaft?

What is your source for this information, and is it specific to the United States?

President, Big Apple Pen Club
Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

#31 brgmarketing

brgmarketing

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:25

Actually, it looks like a Kaiglu 359!

Just kidding :vbg: . The image on my screen is too dark for me to really tell much.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#32 2brothers

2brothers

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:34

Love the show! I was always curious about which FPs they were using, too!

Todd  :happycloud9:

#33 sidthecat

sidthecat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 23:40

Hercule Poirot used a Vacumatic in an episode set in the postwar period. I suspect they used that pen because in the scene it was dropped to the floor and they probably didn't want to use a more expensive pen. Come to think of it, it's entirely possible that they used a stunt pen, so they'd have to have at least two of them.