Casual Collector and Experimenter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:26

What exactly is a "girls colour" ?
Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:
Posted Image

#22 MHfernandes

MHfernandes

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:45

Yes, it`s a ladies pen, and this is a fact. But doesn`t mean that you cannot use it. I dont care about that, but this pen is feminine for sure, mostly because of the shape.

Edited by MHfernandes, 13 November 2012 - 01:53.

#23 muskokabrian

muskokabrian

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:48

I am wearing a Fuschia polo shirt today. A few years ago you wouldn't see many men wearing this colour (that's how Canadians spell colour, btw), but now it's a bit trendy and I'm glad it is because it looks good on me and I got a lot of compliments today. Now, I guess I like too stand apart just a little...probably something that drew me to fountain pens in the first place. I think of it as being distinct and I try to do things with distinction.

Distinction, in my humble opinion, is not standing out by being overtly loud nor by being different just for the sake of being different but rather to be a shade apart from the common palette, so to speak. It is to pull out my yellow Sailor to sign a sales order rather than a Bic special. I think this pen of yours is most distinct. However, part of it's aura is in the hand that holds it and if you are not fully comfortable with it, that will show.

#24 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:35

It is a beautiful pen - use it. (Or you can send it to me)

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

#25 fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:43

It's only a woman's pen if 1) you believe in the Gender Binary and 2) you think it's a woman's pen.

It isn't black with chrome spikes, so if you loan it to people, there's a decent chance someone will eventually say it's kind of a girly color. You can choose to interpret those comments one of two ways:

1) valid criticism;
2) an indication that you should ignore that person's opinions henceforth.

#26 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:07

I have a Cross Savuge in the Stingray pattern. No one has ever accused me of being 'girly' using this pen. Did you get the 18K nib? Not that it matters I have an ATX with a stainless nib that is every bit as nice!

If someone is worried about your pen being 'girly', suggest to them to 'Get a life'

Bet if your smart you could use that pen to pick up gals... :thumbup:

Oh BTW, if you don't want it I could use it, you see my wife keeps trying to steal my Savauge, seems she likes the Stingray pattern..... NOT because it's 'girly', but because it's over the top AWESOME!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#27 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,083 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:18

The argument about shape and weight is justified. Even the venerated Parker 51 had a feminine version. It's not so much about the colour, but the shape and weight of the pen that is directed to a target audience. That being said, nothing wrong with a man using a pen of "feminine" specifications (if there are any). Quite honestly, a modern pen considered "feminine" is about the same size and weight of the manly P51 back in the day.
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#28 dickydotcom

dickydotcom

User not a collector

• Member - Gold

• 1,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:24

Just get a shirt to match and it will look brilliant.

Dick D

#29 nknizam

nknizam

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:36

Just get a shirt to match and it will look brilliant.

Dick D

This +1

#30 MHfernandes

MHfernandes

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:42

Look online for the shape of Mont Blanc Pricesse Grace Pen, it`s a feminine pen for sure, so I think that we can say that pens could be for a man, for a woman and also can be unisex (to bottle genders like a bic pen). But Princesse Grace is a very feminine pen. The shape looks a womans body shape, as this cross sauvage (this pen have hips!:)). The point if a man can or can`t use a feminine pen is another subject, but no one can deny the fact that a pen can be feminine or manly (masculine) or unisex.

Edited by MHfernandes, 13 November 2012 - 16:45.

#31 fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 18:31

The argument about shape and weight is justified.

No it isn't. Shape and weight are a matter of comfort and usability. They have nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with whether a pen is feminine or masculine.

Only things with reproductive parts can be feminine or masculine. (i.e., living beings.) Everything else is just a false association for the sake of making one person feel better about their personal choices, at the expense of making someone else feel bad. It is all nonsense. Don't buy into it.

Edited by fyrstormer, 13 November 2012 - 18:31.

#32 shocker

shocker

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:47

Hi all
Just an update. Many thanks to all your comments.much apprefiated. I like the pen and colour but it was just playing on my mind. I have decided to return the pen and exchanged for another sauvage fountain pen but the blue Azurite crocodile pattern.thanks all. Medium nib

#33 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:12

I have decided to return the pen and exchanged for another sauvage fountain pen but the blue Azurite crocodile pattern.thanks all. Medium nib

Oh, now you've really screwed things up! If you take that one out in public, people are going to think you are using a children's pen. This is a horrible mistake, I hope you can take it back and get something big and heavy, maybe shiny black with some gold parts on it. Then you can stroll into any room and people will be impressed with your manliness.

Quick. Before it's too late.

Posted Image
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#34 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:51

When I looked it I thought it's a ladies pen.

However, it's what you think that matters not what other people think. :happyberet:

#35 stefanv

stefanv

Casual Collector and Experimenter

• Member - Gold

• 873 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:45

Look online for the shape of Mont Blanc Pricesse Grace Pen, it`s a feminine pen for sure, so I think that we can say that pens could be for a man, for a woman and also can be unisex (to bottle genders like a bic pen). But Princesse Grace is a very feminine pen. The shape looks a womans body shape, as this cross sauvage (this pen have hips!:)).

As a man, I don't think I'd want to use a pen just because it was shaped after a man's body shape, so why would a pen that looks like a woman's body shape necessarily be a "woman's pen"?
Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:
Posted Image

#36 shocker

shocker

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 18:06

Ha thats so funny...childrens pen. Oh no your really confusing me lol

#37 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 3,185 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 19:03

Ha thats so funny...childrens pen. Oh no your really confusing me lol

I'm glad you could tell it was said in good humor. Seriously, though: write with a pen you enjoy, that both works well and appeals to your eye. Don't give a moment's thought to what other people may think of it, because life it too short to go around trying to please everyone else.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#38 Nic13

Nic13

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:09

Does not matter!!! if you like the pen and the way it writes and feels, use it!

its your joy and happiness not theirs :thumbup:

I have a coral ahab that i really enjoy even though people insist its pink...don't care :roflmho: