Do You Like The Pelikan Mxxx(X) Ink Window?

daTomoT

115 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Pelikan Mxxx(x) Ink Window Transparent Enough For You?

• Yes, I can see my ink clearly.
    • I have to hold it up to the light, but I don't mind.
    • It's a little too dark for my liking.
    • I can barely see what I have left!

I have three Pelikans inked right now and I can see the ink level in all three though when kept nibs up in some good light. The pens are vintage 400, 140 and M481 black (with a replacement vintage gold nib from a 400/400NN).

I like the ink window on my pelikans. These do add to the aesthetics of the pens. However, I dont often look for the ink level as I do keep a number of pens inked at a time. Pelikans, Parkers, Sheaffers and some Japanese vintage pens (Pilots and Platinums).

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daTomoT

• Kublai Khan

• Freddy

• Tdot

Update: I just inked a flock from the 1930's - 1950's

and a few from late ' 80's - 1990's. No problemo.

Fred

listening to Bluesette ---- Toots Thielemans with Quincy Jones and His Orchestra

next.... How Deep Is the Ocean ---- Ella Fitzgerald

I honestly don't really take any notice of the couple I do have with ink windows. When it doesn't write anymore it is out of ink. :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

• 3 weeks later...

Posted my final verdict on a similar thread on ink windows in the m215. I emptied and cleaned/flushed my pen and then looked at it in the strongest light. Yes, there it was, a very dark gray window. It has been totally elusive until today. That's how dark it is. And with some ink in it coating the window, forget it. I shall now hold my peace. Amen.

I agree, a very faint dark window is indeed present, if one bother to look carefully for it. Almost as useful as my Lamy 2000M ink window (pun intended, full metal pen). As dark as it is, maybe useful for some (surely, better dark than nothing).

No i dont, either it is a M215, or M800 Green, i really like when the ink is less visible. However, i like how it is easy to see the level of ink looking at the window on the light.

Sincerely,

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

The green window on my 100's, 120's, and 140's work beautifully. My tortoisehell 400;s are a bit harder to see through but my green striped 400's are almost as easy as my 1xx pens. Same for the green window on my Ibis's but the yellow window on my Toledo is quite stained so is more difficult to see through. The small round green circles on my P1's are about midway up the barrel so when you get below 1/2 way you can't tell when you hold the pen nib down!

I find the Bule M800 to be basically useless (much like the MB 149) although the White Tortoise M400 is somewhat helpful.

Not having any Pelikans made past 1985, I can't speak to today's ink windows. On my older, vintage Pelikans though, I'd have to say the windows on my Ibis's and 1xx series pens are PERFECT as the striped bodies of my others are somewhat opaque and take a bit more work to see the ink level.

Edited by Monbla

• 1 month later...

The window on my M250 has a light blue-ish tint that's pretty easy to see the ink through. It currently has Lamy Coral in it which glides off the window pretty easily and the ink itself is somewhat translucent as well; something darker and thicker, like Miruai might be harder to see, though judging from the way it adheres to the inside of a cartridge.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 4 weeks later...

I posess a black M205 with a grey ink window and I think it's both too dark and too small (IMO ink windows in vintage 100 pens seem to be perfect). But who knows, maybe the so-called darkness is caused with the ink I use: the purple Rainbow ink (a Russian brand) heavily colorises everything it contacts with. And I don't remember how it was with Pelikan 4001 ink.