The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Unique Pen Made In England

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2017 - 19:34

thanks - having indulged in that system only once I think - seem to remember you go into the envelope up at the top marked Messenger  -  but I could be wrong  -  if I am correct then I'll reply via that method and see if it works.         When I work out how to find it, I'll go into profile feed. :D

P.S.   o.k. found your note and now replied.

Edited by PaulS, 07 September 2017 - 20:54.

Sponsored Content

#22 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 16:52

I have one around here, somewhere.  Mine is a brownish red (?).  The clip and fill lever are same as yours, but overall, not as nice condition. Mine has three ordinary bands, at the cap, unlike the lovely cap band your pen exhibits.  The nib is embossed "UNIQUE -14C"  .  I am told that my pen dates to the early 1930's .  Production ceased in the late 1950's.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#23 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 18:10

quote  .........................    "The nib is embossed "UNIQUE -14C".                 That's an interesting comment  -  reading Steve Hull's contribution on this brand ('The English Fountain Pen Industry 1875 - 1975' - page 57), he says - regarding the range in 1937 -   

" ..........  all featured Warranted 14ct nibs as had previous models, suggesting that Unique, in common with some other medium-size manufacturers, did not make their own nibs."

That's not to say, of course, that when sub-contracting your nib manufacture, you couldn't ask that the imprint carried your own name, although the author's comments, above, appear to refute that - so you appear to have something unusual perhaps? 

b.f. were made as well as self-fillers - and in view of what seems to have been a large array of different models, it's surprising how few seem to be around now  -  perhaps they're now all residing in collections. :)

Edited by PaulS, 08 September 2017 - 18:11.

#24 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 22:07

I would say that pen and clip is a post war product. The pre war pens had a much squarer profile, like the Valentine 01 in another topic.

Sponsored Content

|