149%25206%2520Lo.jpg

149%25204%2520Lo.jpg

#5 Boheme has an EF nib:

Boehme%2527s%2520II.jpg

Good luck with it!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Here is a scan of three EF nibs that I have. 147, Big Boheme and 149 that was modified by Greg Minuskin. The 149 could write thin vertical lines, but the horizontal lines were closer to medium thick lines.

Eric

post-46470-0-86639300-1351827484.jpg

Here is a scan of three EF nibs that I have. 147, Big Boheme and 149 that was modified by Greg Minuskin. The 149 could write thin vertical lines, but the horizontal lines were closer to medium thick lines.

post-46470-0-86639300-1351827484.jpg

Eric

Wonderful handwriting, Eric!

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Eric

Nice writing!

http://i.imgur.com/j134M.jpg

Maybe you are pressing too much while writing ? My 149's nib is really giving a fine line. Not as fine as a S.T. Dupont EF, but quite.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

@NathanLow and @stevesurf- Thanks! Apologies for the feathering too. I would have thought that MB Black (previous round type bottle) would have behaved a bit better on 28lb copy paper.

I have a couple of 146s - a EF and a F. They were a part of a "Test Set", of which I had kept the BB and B, and put the rest up for sale. For some reason these two thinner nibs did not sell. One day I decided to give them a try - even though I have been writing with B and BB nibs for some time now and am pretty comfortable with them (in more than 10 brands).

Any way I inked the two (the EF and F) 146s and took them to work - and lo and behold! The Ef was a smoooooth writer to start with, and although the F needed some tweaking, it turned out just fine, wet and smooth as I like them, and despite the EF and F etched on to the barrels, the lines were not as thin as I had seen with many other brand's F nibs. I kept using them and have returned to them several times in my rotations, and all thoughts of selling them have evaporated from my mind.

I would agree with the OP that the EF and F by MB are not as thin as expected, and are more like most Ms, and nearly as wide as some Bs I have. Reading more about it I found that that is how MB makes their nibs. If you want a thinner line, you will probably have to employ the services of a nib meister.

Today I am using the F and a BB 146 - and enjoying them.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Here's a sample of my 146 EF, comments? Is this the limit of MB line thinness ?[

Cannot be sure witout a reference but assuming it is life size the line thickness seem ok and normal. This is about as thin as MB goes.

Strangely my M and F lay down a equal line in all directions but the EF lays a thinner line in downstroke and a relatively thicker on (in comparison) in cross strokes. Yours appears to behave as my F does - an equal line width in all directions.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Eric

I have an old 146 with a EF nib that writes thin vertical lines and thicker horizontal ones. Is this an issues? I was thinking that it is a nice "effect" imitating the old dip pens. How is called this "effect"? Also my calligraphy is improved using this nib, because I find it more controllable and precise, sometimes the smoother nibs "escape" from my hand.