Nib Recommendations For Ranga Pens

Simius

I've recently acquired a Ranga bamboo pen. The pen is quite nice, but the nib is not (pretty much what I expected).

I'd like to replace the nib, and I'm told that I should look for a #6 nib. I understand that some members here have done similar replacements as well, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on these questions:

- How easy is it to change the nibs? A simple matter of pulling out the old nib & feed, and putting in the new one, or considerably more complicated than that?

- What have been your experiences with specific nibs? I'm looking for recommendations for steel nibs. Any suggestions regarding nib sellers would be very welcome.

Many thanks....

Edited by Simius

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simius

• hari317

• de_pen_dent

• jjlax10

If the nib fitted has Wality written on it, you should be looking for a nib with the following specifications:

28mm length

6.35mm feeder diameter

Some vintage sheaffer nibs will be a perfect fit, including one from a Sheaffer NoNonsense.

The so called #6 nib will be bigger at 35mm and narrower at 6mm feeder diameter, so you will have to cut the length and shoehorn it in.

HTH

Hari

ETA: yes the nib and feed will pull out.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have sent 2 of my bamboo pens back to Ranga for having JoWo #6 nibs installed - not sure whether he's going to shoehorn it in, or re-do the section. I'll post when I get them back (should be early next week), but maybe this could be the extreme solution.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I put a #6 nib in my Model 4 pen - it's a little taller than I'd like it, but it works great.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

You need a nib that will fit around the feed and get into the section properly. I used a Laban steel nib in my custom designed Ranga. It was probably a No. 6. I also installed a Nemosene italic nib in my Varuna (same company). For that I needed to heat set the nib and feed into the section, and then heat set the feed against the nib. I can give you more instructions on how to do this if you want.

\

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

I have sent 2 of my bamboo pens back to Ranga for having JoWo #6 nibs installed - not sure whether he's going to shoehorn it in, or re-do the section. I'll post when I get them back (should be early next week), but maybe this could be the extreme solution.

If you have sent a pen maker the nib units, of course they will redo the section to accomodate the threaded nib unit.

I think the OP is not asking about remanufacturing a new section for their pen.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

If you have sent a pen maker the nib units, of course they will redo the section to accomodate the threaded nib unit.

Correct. I was hoping to be able to do a simple replacement myself. It hadn't occurred to me that the manufacturer could do this as well, so that's is another solution I could consider.

A couple more questions:

- I am going to be in India next week (Mumbai and Kolkata). Would I be able to buy a good steel nib (JoWo or similar) in either of these two cities and have the seller install it for me?

- Do you have any recommendations for someone similar in the US or Europe who can do this for a reasonable fee?

Many thanks to the group for all your responses.

If the nib fitted has Wality written on it, you should be looking for a nib with the following specifications:

28mm length

6.35mm feeder diameter

Some vintage sheaffer nibs will be a perfect fit, including one from a Sheaffer NoNonsense.

The so called #6 nib will be bigger at 35mm and narrower at 6mm feeder diameter, so you will have to cut the length and shoehorn it in.

HTH

Hari

ETA: yes the nib and feed will pull out.

Yes, the nib is Wality. Thanks for the information

A couple more questions:

- I am going to be in India next week (Mumbai and Kolkata). Would I be able to buy a good steel nib (JoWo or similar) in either of these two cities and have the seller install it for me?

- Do you have any recommendations for someone similar in the US or Europe who can do this for a reasonable fee?

No, loose nibs are not available commonly.

I think FPNer appleman in canada can do this: make a new section to accommodate the JoWo nib unit. Maybe cheapest will be to contact Kandan to ask how much for a replacement section.

While in Mumbai, you can check out some pen shops if you have the time:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/60720-mumbai-pen-shops/

Best

Hari

Correct. I am merely giving him another option, in case he really wants to put in the nib without doing too much of a hack'n'slash job on his pen.

OP - I am not sure whether Ranga is going to modify the existing section or put in a new one. You could probably email and ask him, as he will be installing my nibs next week (same nib, same pen). As Hari said, it might take a bit longer due to the mail, but I reckon it will be a lot cheaper than getting a new section in the US/Canada/EU. You also might be able to send him the nib and have him send you just the new section.

I love the looks of those bamboo pens - put a good nib on them, and they'd be spectacular.

Speaking of nibs, Hari, any idea where Deccan gets their nibs from? The nibs on each of my Deccans, including the 2 I got from you, have been superb and a cut above the Walitys and especially the Guiders.

You might also inquire with Shawn Newton who is in Arkansas, a moderator of several forums here and an all around swell fellow.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

At another forum, a member found that a complete Sheaffer No-Nonsense section screws into a Ranga barrel as they appeared to have the same threads, and that also completely fixed the burping ink issue. He's thinking that the Indian feeds never quite managed to banish that problem, where air is allowed to go in and out of the barrel to equalize pressure; Sheaffer on the other hand had a better feed which allowed for that.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

^^ I do agree with that. A lot of my Indian ED pens are very prone to burping ink. By following Hari's guidelines, I've reduced this significantly, but not banished it entirely.

The nibs on each of my Deccans, including the 2 I got from you, have been superb and a cut above the Walitys and especially the Guiders.

I think Deccan are paying more attention to setting up the nibs well, atleast most of the times :). Sometimes the nibs do have issues but it helps since I have a stockpile of replacement nibs in most sizes.

A couple more questions:

No, loose nibs are not available commonly.

I think FPNer appleman in canada can do this: make a new section to accommodate the JoWo nib unit. Maybe cheapest will be to contact Kandan to ask how much for a replacement section.

While in Mumbai, you can check out some pen shops if you have the time:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/60720-mumbai-pen-shops/

Best

Hari

Thanks for the information. I'll try to find some time to go to these shops.

My thanks to everyone for your extremely thoughtful replies. After thinking through the options, here's what I'll do:

- Look for a Shaeffer no-nonsense pen/nib and try surgery myself.

- If that doesn't work, ask Kandan about switching nibs and if needed building a replacement section.

- If that doesn't work, ask Shawn Newton or Appleman to do this Stateside.

Additional item of business: tour the Mumbai pen shops next week and do some binge buying :-)

Edited by Simius

This is not meant rudely in any way but I'm curious as to why Ranga Pens don't simply adopt a better quality nib for their pens and charge accordingly. This avoids customer dissatisfaction, customers having to jump through hoops to get the Ranga pens to work properly and would have the added bonu,s I'm sure, of increasing Ranga's customers. The pens themselves are beautifully made - it's just too bad that a poor quality nib can ruin hours of hard work by Ranga and hours of eager anticipation by the customer.

I've seen many posts over a period of time about these nib issues and it's those concerns about their nib units that have held me back from acquiring a Ranga pen. I would love to have one but definitely would not appreciate the hassles that accompany the nib.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

This is not meant rudely in any way but I'm curious as to why Ranga Pens don't simply adopt a better quality nib for their pens and charge accordingly. This avoids customer dissatisfaction, customers having to jump through hoops to get the Ranga pens to work properly and would have the added bonu,s I'm sure, of increasing Ranga's customers. The pens themselves are beautifully made - it's just too bad that a poor quality nib can ruin hours of hard work by Ranga and hours of eager anticipation by the customer.

I've seen many posts over a period of time about these nib issues and it's those concerns about their nib units that have held me back from acquiring a Ranga pen. I would love to have one but definitely would not appreciate the hassles that accompany the nib.

I am not related in any way to Ranga. Just to inform that they already offer their pens with upgraded JoWo nib units as stock configuration. sold as Varuna on this page:

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/varuna.shtml

Hari thank you so much for this information and link.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

I would have to agree with the poster myn. I have wanted to try a Ranga pen for some time, but the reports of problems with the nib keep me from purchasing one. By the time you add another nib unit to the pen, the price of the pen is no longer reasonable.

Hari,

On the Deccan pens, what type of feed and nib do they use? It seems that Ranga could engineer the pens with a different feed and perhaps setup the nibs different. Do you have any ideas how Ranga could improve the pens?

Edited by JustinJ