How Many Ml Of Ink In A Cartridge?

daTomoT

Whilst in town today, I took a stroll over to Lane Hammets, as they are slightly more traditional than Smiths. Lo, behold! A Parker cartridge converter, something I've been considering buying online for a while.

Now, being mathematically minded, I'd like to know exactly how much money I can save over the month using bottled ink over Quink cartridges. Thus, how many ml of ink in a Quink cartridge? Smiths sell 15 for 6.99, so I can work out price per ml. Does anybody know the volume of a Quink cartridge (and a normal cartridge would be interesting too!)?

~daT.

Please check out my blog, datbookreviews, for all Fiction and Fantasy book reviews!

Now with Increasing Fountain Pen Related Posts!

Pelikan M200, Hero 608, Parker IM, Serwex 162, Manuscript Calligraphy Pen, Lamy Vista, Guanleming 956, Mabie Todd 200/60, Noodler's Konrad. Grail Pen: Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daTomoT

• Bo Bo Olson

• stefanv

• torstar

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that it is about 1.4 - 1.5 ml (or about 30 drops).

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

The Parker cartridge holds 1.4 ml total. This volume includes the 0.15 ml in the emergency reservoir.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

The long discontinued Parker Penman Sapphire cartridges are widely generally accepted to have held 1.18mL of ink when originally filled. Since regular Parker Quink cartridges are exactly the same size and shape, I would guess that they would also be filled with about the same amount of ink.

It's definitely less than 1.4 or 1.5mL, since these cartridges aren't filled completely full.

So, if it's 1.18mL, then 15 cartridges for $6.99 works out to $0.395/mL.

A 2 oz bottle of Quink from Goulet Pens is $10.00. Two fluid ounces is 59mL, so that works out to $0.169/mL.

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

Thank you. So:

1.4x15=21ml

699 / 21= 33.3 pence per ml.

Quink 57ml bottle:

429 / 57=7.5 pence per ml.

Cartridges are nearly five times the price of bottled ink! :yikes:

Please check out my blog, datbookreviews, for all Fiction and Fantasy book reviews!

Pelikan M200, Hero 608, Parker IM, Serwex 162, Manuscript Calligraphy Pen, Lamy Vista, Guanleming 956, Mabie Todd 200/60, Noodler's Konrad. Grail Pen: Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian.

Also, 57ml of ink from cartridges costs £18.92, as opposed to a 57ml bottle at £4.29.

Yes, cartridges are terribly expensive.

Back in silver dime days, I could not afford cartridges to fill my school pen all year...one did have other obligations, like 5¢ baseball cards (five and a stick of gum) or 10-12-15¢ comic books or a nickel Snickers.

Ten cheap ball point refills cost 10€.

It is my contention for the last year or so, that the expense of cartridges almost killed of the fountain pen.

In that I moved stuff to my D disk and can't look at each file on preview in Word, I've got a search going for a file that tells the exact size of most cartridges.

Sheaffer is big, perhaps the biggest single cartridge...that might of course be the old ones, it is not the thinner ones for a Tagra.

2 small internationals are @ 1.74ml. Which is more than the 1.60 of a MB 149 or the 1.47 of the 1000. :yikes:

200/400 are 1.27, the 600/800 1.37ml.

That is huge compared to converters but not to cartridges.

I'm still prejudiced towards piston pen, or lever pens.

I was very surprised how much some of the cartridges held. The myth of Piston fillers holding so much more died for me.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Many of us have around 100 bottles unused sitting around.

Be nice to us and maybe you won't have to act like this...

:D

The facts were done by a fine poster, and I copied it.

It did 'destroy' the myth of Piston pens holding in most cases out side the 400NN so much ink.There were a few other real big piston pens or lever pens that held a lot of ink.

I don't have that info, handy.It could be scattered in my files some of that is there.

Pelikan pen ink capacity

Modern 200/400 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 24.5mm, potential ink volume:1.29 ml (and I off the top of my mind, kept saying 1.27 :embarrassed_smile: )

Modern 600 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm, potential ink volume:. 1.37 ml

Modern 800 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm , potential ink volume: 1.37 ml

Modern1000: piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 28 mm , potential ink volume: 1.47 ml

Vintage 400NN : piston bore 9.0 mm, piston stroke 31 mm , potential ink volume: 1.97 ml

MB Kafka: 0.88

MB Hemingway: 1.26

MB Dumas: 1.26

MB Twain: 1.35

MB Lennon: 1.39

MB Shaw: 1.48

MB 149: 1.60

Parker slide converter: 0.60

Standard converter: 0.75

Cartridges

International short: 0.87 X 2 = 1.74

Sheaffer slim: 1.20

Parker: 1.47

Sheaffer standard: 1.50

International long: 1.66 :thumbup:

Double reservoir powerfiller Visconti's:

Titanium skeleton: 2.35

Wall street LE: 2.60

Those are some large volume pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I.5 cc (ml) of ink from my syringe is too much for a Parker cartridge.

It squirts out. So, just a bit under 1.5 cc. The commercial filling

is not 100% full. I estimate about 35 cartridge fillings per 50 ml

bottle.

The short international cartridge holds about half the volume of a big

cartridge.

Use a syringe to fill cartridges. Don't squeeze the plastic. I will crack.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Many of us have around 100 bottles unused sitting around.

Be nice to us and maybe you won't have to act like this...

:D

My, I do like your username. That profile picture of yours.. it really is stunning. May I say, I do love the way you use language, it is as music to the forum. ;) ;)

Better? :lol:

EDIT: I have one bottle, four samples and a bottle of calligraphy ink that was bought for me: I tried it once and now daren't use it again until I have a dip pen!

Edited by daTomoT

One needs a dip pen...at all costs.... :headsmack: even if they rust in waiting. :blush:

• 4 years later...

Yes, ink in cartridges from pen makers is much more expensive than ink in bottles from the same source, but I think the numbers depend on the assumption that the whole bottle will be used -- possibly optimistic for anyone with 100 bottles;-) (Unless it's Herbin ink, which you can drink.) I also think there are some confusions about units above where that 6.99 price is sometimes treated as dollars (US? Canadian?) and elsewhere as British pounds. In addition to issues of units, generic ink cartridges in bulk seem to be very cheap in Europe, and can sometimes be found on eBay in the US. Many Parker pens will take Lamy cartridges that appear to have a similar capacity. On eBay in the USA you can get 100 of these cartridges for $10.93US which brings the price down to where it is comparable to bottled Quink. Prices of some short international cartridges can be found here.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314342-cheap-ink-cartridges/page-2

Agree with Sasha, use an art syringe to refill cartridges.

Art syringe also useful for flushing cartridges & feeds.

You can get an art syringe from an art supply store or your favorite online pen & ink store.

The facts were done by a fine poster, and I copied it.

It did 'destroy' the myth of Piston pens holding in most cases out side the 400NN so much ink.There were a few other real big piston pens or lever pens that held a lot of ink.

I don't have that info, handy.It could be scattered in my files some of that is there.

Pelikan pen ink capacity

Modern 200/400 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 24.5mm, potential ink volume:1.29 ml (and I off the top of my mind, kept saying 1.27 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/embarrassed_smile.gif )

Modern 600 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm, potential ink volume:. 1.37 ml

Modern 800 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm , potential ink volume: 1.37 ml

Modern1000: piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 28 mm , potential ink volume: 1.47 ml

Vintage 400NN : piston bore 9.0 mm, piston stroke 31 mm , potential ink volume: 1.97 ml

MB Kafka: 0.88

MB Hemingway: 1.26

MB Dumas: 1.26

MB Twain: 1.35

MB Lennon: 1.39

MB Shaw: 1.48

MB 149: 1.60

Parker slide converter: 0.60

Standard converter: 0.75

Cartridges

International short: 0.87 X 2 = 1.74

Sheaffer slim: 1.20

Parker: 1.47

Sheaffer standard: 1.50

International long: 1.66 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup.gif

Double reservoir powerfiller Visconti's:

Titanium skeleton: 2.35

Wall street LE: 2.60

Those are some large volume pens.

I'd like to add two on the Visconti list 😎😎.

Visconti Kakadu LE : 3.6ml +\- 0.2ml

Visconti HS London Fog : 2.9ml +\- 0.2ml

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib