The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Dorsal Fin V.1 Aka-Tame Nuri

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:56

Hi there,

About time I post another review! This one is about one of my most prized pens (well, over time I intend to sell any pen that's not among the most prized ones, so.. :D)

This pen is one of Nakaya's larger and fatter models but still rather lightweight. It's done in vibrant red Urushi. In fact it's probably the "reddest" Urushi pen I own.

Posted Image

The pen's name is referring to the "fin" in the cap, a rather sharp edge that prevents the pen from rolling off your desk and gives it a rather unique appearance. The nature of the lacquer technique draws even more attention to the fin since the colour will appear brighter around edges. Nakaya pens are hand turned from ebonite before covered with lacquer and from what I hear the fin is not part of the ebonite shell but made by heaping up the lacquer.
I can't really imagine how this is achieved, but it must be one hell of an effort.

Posted Image

The barrel is decorated with Kanji saying "writer", the grip section sports a gold Zogan. Due to the nicely balanced and light weight and the larger and fatter section it is extraordinarily nice to hold. The Zogan is perfectly flush, you can't feel where it starts and the lacquer surface begins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am fascinated by music nibs, and the two-tone plating of the nib makes their beauty shine even more.

I ordered this pen directly from Nakaya in Japan and unfortunately the nib was somewhat dry out of the box. Oxonian adjusted it and now it writes beautifully - there are few things more annoying than a beautiful pen that makes you want to throw it out the window because it won't write like it should. If I ordered it via John Mottishaw that probably wouldn't have happened.

Still I won't complain because during the 3 months of waiting for the pen to be made I changed my mind a bit about the nibs, asked for a music nib, then made up my mind to go back to a "simple" nib because I couldn't afford the extra for the music nib at that time. Nakaya responded to all of this very politely and in the end the pen arrived with the music nib. :cloud9:

There are plenty of writing samples for the Nakaya/Platinum music nibs around and mine is a little ugly, so I'll skip that part until I have a better one. :-D

Some more pictures and musings about the pen can be found at my blog.

Edited by elderberry, 27 October 2012 - 07:11.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

Sponsored Content

#2 FrankvK

FrankvK

Fontoplumo.nl

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:08

what a gorgeous pen!
www.fontoplumo.nl
info@fontoplumo.nl

#3 geoduc

geoduc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 15:03

Wow! The pen's beauty is enhanced by your wonderful photography.

I have a Nakaya in aka-tamenuri with a music nib on its way to me, and your photos have increased my anticipation. Now I wish I had asked for a two-tone nib, though.

#4 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 15:07

That's a beautiful pen! I love the look of the version 1 Dorsal fins.

Your photos are great, especially the last close-up shot of the nib :thumbup:
Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#5 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 17:36

Gorgeous photos! You're making me late for Pen Posse Karaoke! Your blog, too. Wow! Have to run! I'm bringing the Karaoke to the Posse, so I'll have to look at your blog more closely later. The glimpse I had, though -- WOW!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#6 ImQuagmire

ImQuagmire

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 17:49

What a beauty! Congratulations and thanks for the nice review.

#7 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 18:15

Gorgeous pen. Congratulations on expanding your beautiful collection!Posted Image

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#8 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 18:31

Love those photos--and Wow, what a nice pen!

#9 i.like.whiskey

i.like.whiskey

Served neat always preferred.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 19:53

What a beautiful pen.

And yes, I know it's bourbon. 

#10 Classics

Classics

Mr. Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:16

Congrats on the pen and thank you for the great photos.

I have the same pen with finish. I love it!

My Dorsal Fin ver1 is one of my daily writers.

Enjoy!
"Churn the Butter"

#11 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:36

Miss Elderberry, you have great taste.

A beautiful pen, a lovely handful. Your photograghy really amplifies it's sensual lines.

That nib looks like hours of entertainment.

Thank you for sharing.

Inked

#12 KarloT

KarloT

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:47

I am fascinated by music nibs, and the two-tone plating of the nib makes their beauty shine even more.

I ordered this pen directly from Nakaya in Japan and unfortunately the nib was somewhat dry out of the box.

The nib looks gorgeous!!!

I think Nakaya prefers to set their Music nib a little dry compared to Platinums. A friend is a regular client of Mike It Work and he told me Mike suggests a drier flow on italics to better showcase line variation. It might be Japanese nib wrights' philosophy vs the Western nibmesiters' thinking.

I know this is one of the bigger Nakayas in the catalog. How do you like the girth of this model? Am used to a Peli M1xxx size but I wonder if the barrel is a touch bigger than the Pelikan.

#13 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2012 - 18:16

A quick comparison shot for the Pelikan M1000 and Nakaya Dorsal Fin's sections. The Nakaya might be a little smaller at the narrowest spot as it tapers toward the nib and a bit fatter close to the barrel but it's not a huge difference.

Posted Image

As for the dry music nibs, this is my third Nakaya music nib and it was definitely a lot drier than the other two, so I guess it was faulty. Now, however, it's dried out because I ran out of battery while making the picture and forgot to recap it while the battery was loading. :D A good excuse to clean it and fill it with another beautiful ink.

Edited by elderberry, 29 October 2012 - 18:22.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

#14 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2012 - 19:14

Wow thats is absolutly beautiful !!!

Big congrats on that. Love the music nib and gold Zogan is a nice touch. :puddle:

#15 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 00:49

What a fantastic looking pen! I had Nakaya make me an extra nib/feed sects when I ordered my long cigar shaped Aka-Tamenuri years ago, so I have the choice of fine soft and music when my moods change.

I am really impressed by the Dorsal Fin, and will now have to do some research!!! :puddle:

Edited by Chris Chalmers, 30 October 2012 - 00:58.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!
Make it count!!!

#16 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:05

Now, that's just cruel...posting such photos... but I forgive you! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.
Tamara

#17 Regulateur

Regulateur

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:09

What a great looking pen! Congrats. If it writes as good as it looks, this pen is going straight to the pens hall of fame
Cheers,
Pierre

#18 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:53

Fantastic pen! Thanks for posting these pictures! :notworthy1:
Is the pen the color I see in the photos or is it redder?

Edited by WOBentley, 31 October 2012 - 02:54.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#19 Redbarchettayyz

Redbarchettayyz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:56

Very nice pen! I handled one of these in a different finish at our last local pen get-together, and they are really something!

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

#20 larsbj

larsbj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:57

Beatiful! Wish I could affort one right now, but I've just landed a new Naka-ai so it will have to wait. But, christmas soon :eureka:

LBj

Edited by larsbj, 31 October 2012 - 05:58.

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

Sponsored Content

|